Who Is the League's Undisputed Chokemeister?

NHL's Undisputed Chokemeister

• Total voters

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
After the calamitous showing in the first round and making history for all the wrong reasons, Tampa Bay probably leading the pack for the infamous undisputed title. Simple question: who is the biggest choker in the NHL today and why?

I'm keeping it short, but I can add options upon request.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Well, Brayden Point sure was terrible. Probably my pick.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Stamkos or Thornton. Thornton has a longer history, but this probably outdoes the 3-0 choke from 2014.

Close call - I went with Stamkos.

Reactions: Silky mitts

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Not sure why Patrick Marleau is on this list. He had 5 points in 7 games for the Leafs last year and is 39 years old. Age has caught up to him. He isn't an All-Star at this point in his career.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
That title belonged to Bobrovsky before the current playoffs started.

I actually agree with this. I also think this first round alone changes that and pushes him behind stamkos and Thornton at least.

Its either Stamkos or Thornton for me. Ill say Stamkos due to yesterday

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I voted Thornton because Boston won after he left, but Tampa won before Stamkos got there, might change my vote to Stamkos

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
The drop in production is considerably steeper for Stamkos than for Thornton: -0.27 PPG vs -0.16 PPG. It's even worse than that of Rick Nash, the posterboy of playoff futility.

Reactions: leafsfan5

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Not sure why Patrick Marleau is on this list. He had 5 points in 7 games for the Leafs last year and is 39 years old. Age has caught up to him. He isn't an All-Star at this point in his career.

What about all those years in SJ when he wasn't 39? A lot of his points seemed to come in the 1st round, then he trailed off, no?

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
What about all those years in SJ when he wasn't 39? A lot of his points seemed to come in the 1st round, then he trailed off, no?
I don't have those stats. When I look at his overall career numbers though, his point production in the regular season is 0.7 with a plus/minus of -13, while in the playoffs it's 0.67 and -8. Not really any different. Joe Thornton, by comparison, is 0.94 and +205 in the regular season and 0.77 and -26 in the playoffs. That's a more dramatic difference, IMO

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
It'd be nice to have some criteria here instead of it just being a crap on TBL thread. There are probably some notable ones.

Brian Elliot is always insanely bad in the playoffs.

I mean before this year Bob played in 23 games and in 20 of them he gave up 3 goals or more.

Kadri has been suspended for his 2nd straight year for a dirty hit.

I feel like you would need a big sample size for forwards as ANY line in the playoffs can get targeted and shutdown, which is why depth is so important.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
It'd be nice to have some criteria here instead of it just being a crap on TBL thread. There are probably some notable ones.

Brian Elliot is always insanely bad in the playoffs.

I mean before this year Bob played in 23 games and in 20 of them he gave up 3 goals or more.

Kadri has been suspended for his 2nd straight year for a dirty hit.

I feel like you would need a big sample size for forwards as ANY line in the playoffs can get targeted and shutdown, which is why depth is so important.
What? Do you realize Brian Elliott carried the Blues to the farthest they've been in the playoffs in like 25 years? Elliott was fantastic in the playoffs for the Blues nearly every year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->