who is the leafs best nhl roster player?

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
So JVR gets to be excused of his bad defensive play because Kessel is bad defensively?

How does potato logic like this get passed off as reasonable?

JVR is a fine top 6 player, Kessel is a elite top 3 player. They never had a even close to a top 6 centre to play with. I wish there was enough patience with both to see what they could do with a legitimate top centre.
Ship has sailed, Phaneuf is the the best player on the current roster, soon to be be surpassed by Rielly.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Bernier. After that it gets real murky. Probably one of Gardiner, Rielly, or Phaneuf.

3 of Toronto's best players are defencemen?

At a position they've collectively stunk at for a few years now?

Toronto's best player now is probably Nazem Kadri, with Bernier a close second.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
He was better defensively when he first came over. The longer he's been here, the more disinterested he seems to be in that area.

Not from what I remember of my Flyer games in the past. I seem to remember this being one of those things that frustrated Flyers fans about him as well.

Anyway, probably a discussion for another thread somewhere. To each their own, but I can almost guarantee that by Christmas, Leaf fans are tearing this guy to shreds.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I know, they're so different. The forwards on the PK get to turn their sticks upside down and skate on one leg. Nothing about it translates.

Yeah...

There are very clear differences in effectiveness among players 5-on-5 and on the PK. Some are very good on one, some are very good at the other. If it was so translatable, that wouldn't be the case.

Anyone with some hockey sense would also realize that you require different skill sets in the different situation, as defending a PK is very different from defending a 5-on-5 rush or cycle.

You trying to mock my point only reflects back at yourself, sadly.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Not from what I remember of my Flyer games in the past. I seem to remember this being one of those things that frustrated Flyers fans about him as well.

Anyway, probably a discussion for another thread somewhere. To each their own, but I can almost guarantee that by Christmas, Leaf fans are tearing this guy to shreds.
The fact he couldn't break through when his skillset was so strong was the main concern. He came over as a fine two-way player. He wasn't going to win a Selke, but was a reliable defensive player.

He was one of the few wingers who regularly existed the zone under Carlyle's collapse system and he used him late in games to protect a lead (usually with Komo/Kulemin - McClement)

Last edited by a moderator:

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
The fact he couldn't break through when his skillset was so strong was the main concern. He came over as a fine two-way player. He wasn't going to win a Selke, but was a reliable defensive player.

He was one of the few wingers who regularly existed the zone under Carlyle's collapse system and he used him late in games to protect a lead (usually with Komo/Kulemin - McClement)

I remember JVR being mentioned as a capable two-way forward with huge consistency problem as a Philly player.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
3 of Toronto's best players are defencemen?

At a position they've collectively stunk at for a few years now?

Toronto's best player now is probably Nazem Kadri, with Bernier a close second.

That same Nazem Kadri who has scored 50 and 39 points the past two seasons while being weak defensively? Excuse me if I don't think too highly of him, advanced stats be damned.

Jake Gardiner is an advanced stats dream come true, and the general consensus around is he's terrible. So who really knows what they're talking about around here.

RedLeaf099*

1. Reilly
2. Dion
3. JVR

No one else should even be mentioned.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad