Who is the hardest hitter in NHL history?

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Sprague Clenghorn, was defenitly one. Charas massive so he gets some respect. And Kasparitus makes them sleep with one eye open. Aaron "Boogeyman Jr." Boogaard will club a few guys, win an award or two on hockeyfights.com.

Chara played like Willi Huber last year.

Boris Le Tigre

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jan 9, 2007
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
that i watched regularly these guys stand out for different reasons...

standard hits:
wendall clark
claude lemieux (dirty or not... ask chris draper's face if it feels good to be hit by him)
scott stevens
cam neely
bob probert/clark gilles
dale hunter/mike eagles
bill berg
crazy legs macoun

hip checkers/low bridgers - i hate this style of hitting but it's legal
brian marchment
ulf samuelsen(sic)
don sweeny

current guys...
chris neil
mike komisarek
robyn regehr (sic)
derek boogard
ethan moreau
mike fisher
brown of the kings (dustin?)
steve begin
mike grier
beauchemin
iginla

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
That I have seen

Cam Neely
Wendel Clark
Scott Stevens

in no particular order, all of these guys would freight train you

Also I know that most people see him as a cheap SOB and he was at times but Bryan Marchment was a hell of an open ice hitter.

Randall Graves*

So where are guys like Tiger Williams or Red Horner who were tough guys back in the day? Lindros and Stevens are probably the two best i've seen since I started watching hockey 14 years ago. what i've seen on Neely is sick too, he could throw some nasty hits.

TheHoser

Jul 13, 2006
English Quebec
Darius Kasparitis. Say what you wan't about the legality of a few of those hits, but I've never seen anyone use his hits so effectivly. Kaspar is the best hitter ever; he didn't hit quite as hard as Stevens or Lindros, but he sure did as much damage! Just ask Mario.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Wow. I would have predicted a million posts would come up before his name would be brought up but I guess not. I just think his name looks woefully out of place on a list of top hitters.

Out of everyone I've seen Stevens is the best, followed closely by Lindros in the brief time that he could score and hit as good as anybody.

Not really. Early career he simply would not back down. He would take hits to give them, the fifty fifty kind that most skill players are supposed to avoid. Think Wendel Clark in this regard.

vivianmb

Jan 10, 2007
winnipeg
www.whocares.ca
ask kevin stevens how hard rich pilon hit!
nastiest hit ever . can anyone youtube it. ?
steven was unconsious in mid-aid and landed flat on his face. that one still gives me chills when i think about it. nasty.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Scott Stevens.

Have to go with a d man because he didn't have the advantage of a head start against a stationary d man.

Teams always had to aware of SDtevens. Robinson and Potvin had hits people still talk about, but game after game, Stevens made them pay.

Wetcoaster

As noted Shore and Cleghorn for the old-time era.

Howe and Leapin' Louie Fontinato in the Original Six era along with Tim Horton and Bill Gadsby. Some historians have picked the Gadsby hit on Horton as the hardest in NHL history.
With a few weeks left in the 1954-55 season, however, Horton broke his leg and jaw in a thunderous collision with the New York Rangers' Bill Gadsby. Gadsby later said it was the hardest hit he ever delivered. Horton, in traction and fed intravenously for days afterwards in the hospital, certainly agreed. When he returned to the ice after missing almost half of the 1955-56 season, he was slow to regain his form.
http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/LegendsMember.jsp?mem=p197702&page=bio#photo

Also Pat Quinn could deliver devastating hits when he caught up to a player - ask Bobby Orr.

Stevens and Lindros in the modern era.

Pound for pound hitters - Bobby Baun and Terrible Ted Lindsey. Look up hard rock in a dictionary and there are pictures of these two.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
As noted Shore and Cleghorn for the old-time era.

Howe and Leapin' Louie Fontinato in the Original Six era along with Tim Horton and Bill Gadsby. Some historians have picked the Gadsby hit on Horton as the hardest in NHL history.

http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/LegendsMember.jsp?mem=p197702&page=bio#photo

Also Pat Quinn could deliver devastating hits when he caught up to a player - ask Bobby Orr.

Stevens and Lindros in the modern era.

Pound for pound hitters - Bobby Baun and Terrible Ted Lindsey. Look up hard rock in a dictionary and there are pictures of these two.
You also got to consider Leo Boivan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->