Who is the hardest hitter in NHL history?

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
In my time (beginning around 1990), Scott Stevens is the obvious choice for open ice checks.

On the forecheck, I've never seen anyone hit like Lindros used to in the corners.

sweetcrude

Jan 27, 2006
How about Bryan Marchment. There's a reason his nickname was "mush".

Maybe not the best or hardest, but waaaay up there if we're talking about him playing at his peak.

:edmonton

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Along the boards, defenitly Forsberg.

He could, at times standing still, sink anyone who went after them.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
The best hitter and hardest hitter are related but distinct, in my mind. Tim Horton was a hard hitter, but what set him apart from others was his ability to ensure that he quickly seperated the puck from his opponents and took control of it himself (based on what I've read). Hitting is more than just checking the opponent; the purpose of a hit (aside from intimidation) is to force a turnover, and Horton was probably tops in that regard.

The best pre-expansion hitters are probably (no particular order):
- Sprague Cleghorn
- Marcel Pronovost
- Ching Johnson
- Joe Hall
- Tim Horton
- Jack Stewart
- Eddie Shore
- Lionel Conacher
- Gordie Howe
- Ted Lindsay
- Ken Reardon

Cleghorn was a monster. He was suspended by his team's owner after attacking Lionel Conacher (!). The team owner said that Cleghorn's actions were "befitting an animal".

My darkhorse pick would be Joe Klukay, who had good size and strength. He probably wasn't as hard a hitter as the ones I've listed, but he was extremely aggressive and was apparently great at stealing the puck from opponents when he checked them.

The best that I've personally seen is Lindros in his prime.

Last edited:

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
Scott Stevens. No one else is in his league when it comes to clean bodychecks. He creamed someone practically every night.

Randall Graves*

How about Bryan Marchment. There's a reason his nickname was "mush".

Maybe not the best or hardest, but waaaay up there if we're talking about him playing at his peak.

:edmonton
I only associate dirty hits with his name to be honest.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
The best hitter and hardest hitter are related but distinct, in my mind. Tim Horton was a hard hitter, but what set him apart from others was his ability to ensure that he quickly seperated the puck from his opponents and took control of it himself (based on what I've read). Hitting is more than just checking the opponent; the purpose of a hit (aside from intimidation) is to force a turnover, and Horton was probably tops in that regard.

The best pre-expansion hitters are probably (no particular order):
- Sprague Cleghorn
- Marcel Pronovost
- Ching Johnson
- Joe Hall
- Tim Horton
- Jack Stewart
- Eddie Shore
- Lionel Conacher
- Gordie Howe
- Ted Lindsay
- Ken Reardon

Cleghorn was a monster. He was suspended by his team's owner after attacking Lionel Conacher (!). The team owner said that Cleghorn's actions were "befitting an animal".

My darkhorse pick would be Joe Klukay, who had good size and strength. He probably wasn't as hard a hitter as the ones I've listed, but he was extremely aggressive and was apparently great at stealing the puck from opponents when he checked them.

The best that I've personally seen is Lindros in his prime.

Most of these guys would bounce off today's players.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Along the boards, defenitly Forsberg.

He could, at times standing still, sink anyone who went after them.

Wow. I would have predicted a million posts would come up before his name would be brought up but I guess not. I just think his name looks woefully out of place on a list of top hitters.

Out of everyone I've seen Stevens is the best, followed closely by Lindros in the brief time that he could score and hit as good as anybody.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Alot of the best have already been mentioned but I would add Bob Gainey, one of the best body checking forwards I've seen.

TheBannermen

Aug 2, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Scott Stevens was inhumane. If Jack Johnson can hit half as hard as Stevens in his career, then I'm a happy man.

Cam Neely is another one. I can remember him drilling Rob Brown of the Pens on at least 5 occasions. If Dustin Brown can hit half as hard as Cam Neely, then I'm a happy man

chillmat

Jul 1, 2006
Montréal
Definitively Scott Stevens, this guy was a wall each time he was hitting someone, even when he was hitting guys like Lindros, his body wasnt even moving a little when the collisions occured...

There are still some good punishers, Pronger(ANA), McLaren (SJ), and Kasparaitis when at his prime...

For the future I can see Mike Komisarek being one of the toughest hitters in the league, just go on Youtube and search for his name...

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
Sprague Clenghorn, was defenitly one. Charas massive so he gets some respect. And Kasparitus makes them sleep with one eye open. Aaron "Boogeyman Jr." Boogaard will club a few guys, win an award or two on hockeyfights.com.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->