Who is the greatest stickhandler of all time?

Greatest stickhandler of all time?

• Pavel Datsyuk

• Patrick Kane

• Mario Lemieux

• Alex Kovalev

• Pavel Bure

• Wayne Gretzky

• Connor McDavid

• Alex Barkov

• Alex Ovechkin

• Evgeni Malkin

• Denis Savard

• Sidney Crosby

• Peter Forsberg

• Nathan MacKinnon

• Auston Matthews

• Sergei Fedorov

• Jaromir Jagr

• Nikita Kucherov

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Went with Kovalev because the shit he was able to do is unreal.

Datsyuk is 2nd. On pure skills, Kovalev was the best but Datsyuk was also effective AF with his stuff.

Kane is in a tier of his own, far behind the first two and far above everyone else

Reactions: OppositeLocK

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Kovalev and I don't think it's that close even between him and Datsyuk. But Pavel was the most effective in putting his advanced skills to use.

Yup. Not even close. Not even remotely close. I don't even know why Datsyuk is considered one of the most skilled players of all time. He shouldn't have even made the NHL. Not even close. Am I doing it right?

No, dude. It was close. Kovalev had incredibly fast hands, but the way Datsyuk handled the puck and baited his opponents using his skating and body language made him a pioneer.

Last edited:
Reactions: kp61c

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Went with Kovalev because the shit he was able to do is unreal.

Datsyuk is 2nd. On pure skills, Kovalev was the best but Datsyuk was also effective AF with his stuff.

Kane is in a tier of his own, far behind the first two and far above everyone else

Your ranking isn't grossly wrong, but Patrick Kane's stickhandling isn't "far behind" anyone's. I wish people on this forum would stop being hyperbolic about everything. It's the worst part about hfboards, and it's actually not even close.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
It's a toss-up between Kovalev and Datsyuk.

I'd lean towards Datsyuk just because his execution was more consistent and purposeful. Kovalev was just a creative stickhandler that had the audacity to pull off crazy things on the ice.

Datsyuk was more well-rounded with his stickhandling while still having the highlight-reel charm. This gives him the edge for me.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Yup. Not even close. Not even remotely close. I don't even know why Datsyuk is considered one of the most skilled players of all time. He shouldn't have even made the NHL. Not even close. Am I doing it right?

No, dude. It was close. Kovalev had incredibly fast hands, but the way Datsyuk handled the puck and baited his opponents using his skating and body language made him a pioneer.

If you wish to consider such attributes I'd include Kent Nilsson.

Offtheboard412

Feb 26, 2012
Datsyuk. McDavid is right there though. I know someone's gonna say something like "it's actually his skating that makes his hands look impressive" but that's not true. He has hands down the fastest hands I've ever seen. I thought Kane had quick hands but McDavid is operating at a whole different speed than anyone else.

Reactions: grentthealien

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Datsyuk’s hands were elevated by his IQ and body language in a way I’ve never seen before. Even 10 years into his career he would show us things we’d never seen on a nightly basis. We were truly spoiled as Wings fans back then.

Reactions: BlueMed

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
It's Kovalev, but where is Linus Omark? I'd have him right up there with him.

Also a nice reminder that sick hands alone don't make you a great hockey player.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
If you are talking purely hands for stick handling, I voted Kane. Kent Nilsson is in the conversation. Datsyuk was crazy good too but a lot of that had to do with edges, as in lateral motion while stick handling. If you are talking best “dangler” then he might be #1. McDavid has probably the quickest hands I’ve ever seen and if he had to rely more on stick handling instead of using his speed and making a couple lightning moves before firing, he might be up there too.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Kovalev #1 to me for "pure hands".

Obviously Datsyuk was the more complete player, and his hands coupled with amazing skating abilities let him go through a defense like knife in butter.

Lot of darn good stickhandlers though. Kane comes to mind for best out of active players.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
You can't pick just one. And some of the greatest of all time aren't even on the list - Jean Beliveau, Bobby Orr, Gilbert Perreault, Guy Lafleur (although Lafleur used speed and skating agility more often, he sure could dangle), and of course Denis Savard. Clearly, there aren't enough old forum members reading this poll. ;)

My pick is Denis Savard. This goal didn't have a lot of stickhandling per se, but this gives me an excuse to show it again

Reactions: banks and Lauro

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
Obvious toss up between Datsyuk and Kovalev. Datsyuk is the craftier of the two, but Kovalev just looks so much more effortless. I take Datsyuk bc he seems to get more out of his skillset

Reactions: OppositeLocK

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Beliveau has to be on that list, and Perrault is better than some listed too. They didn't call Kent Nilsson "The Magic Man" for nothing. WTH is Ovi on there for?

Lemieux is probably my vote. His extraordinary reach, together with his skill, imagination, and overall talent give it to him. Kane and Datsuyk are probably the best of recent players. Surprised Barzal isn't on the list.

For those who weren't lucky enough to see him, Beliveau was essentially an old time version of Lemieux. Better two way player, less flashy, limited with his straight wooden stick, but had otherworldy backhand dangling, passing, and shooting skills. Same long reach that would bait defenders into committing, before making them look silly.

Last edited:
Reactions: grentthealien

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->