Who is the equivalent of Domi in a 1 for 1?

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Spoken like a true homer. Dude has no history to support that claim and acrtually has a lot of history to show he isnt worth that. He had career numbers in everything and will regress just like every one else. He is a 50-60 pt guy that can get hot randomly and do 60-70. He isn't bad but habs fans over value him significantly. SHOCKER

so a guy who, before last year, wasn't a center puts up a lot of points. If ( hopefully when) we get better center depth, we move that 50-60 point guy back to a position that he is better suited for and he STAYS a 50-60 point winger ?

yeah that makes a ton of sense.

dm1371

May 29, 2010
Chicoutimi, QC
Negative value since he plays for Montreal, probably worth a mid-high 1st and a good prospect on any other team (that isn't Toronto.)

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
It’s his career high by a decent amount. You’re going to be disappointed if you expect 13.5 again every year.

He was only 23 last year, players can get better as they enter their prime. It doesn't make sense to assume his shooting percentage at 21 or 22 was the best he could ever achieve.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
He was only 23 last year, players can get better as they enter their prime. It doesn't make sense to assume his shooting percentage at 21 or 22 was the best he could ever achieve.

He’ll likely have a higher shooting percentage than that at some point in his career, I agree. I just don’t think he’ll shoot 13%+ again frequently.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Which isn't all that bad considering the only thing we gave up for him is a guy who has more coke than blood in his body.

I'm being facetious (idk if Domi will even stay C), but Koivu and Plekanec would have been excellent 2C instead of 1C, which Montreal still lack.

That said, if Kotkaniemi, Domi, Poehling all end up being Koivu/Plekanec levels, the lack of star power could be offset by the depth they would provide. If one ends up a legit 1C then we are talking business :)

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
I think Domi as the same value then Gallagher by now.
It's not about just the stats (Points) but everything else on the ice.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Another 50pt player?

Lets see him hit 72pts again. Prior to this, his high was 52 and his low was 35, also on bad teams.

But its equally as likely that he hits 72 again vs he will revert to his career average. I hope he does hit 72 again but its far from a lock.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
No matter what we think of the player, the transition from wing to center is very difficult for any player.

it seemed to fit domi like a glove.
And when Drouin did it, he was the worst 1C in the league by a HUGE margin.
The titanic's maiden voyage went better than drouin down the middle.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I think Domi as the same value then Gallagher by now.
It's not about just the stats (Points) but everything else on the ice.

yeah he doesnt have the value of gallagher currently, even if he stays in the middle.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
He was buoyed by unsustainable percentages. His true talent is likely low 60s

The issue here is that he was also anchored by unsustainably bad PP.

I don't think he hits 70 again playing Center (barring ridiculous sheltering) though.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Would anyone trade Nylander for Domi with a caveat that he can replicate his most recent season? I know Willy has an elite skill set, but Domi can possibly bring what Leafs don't have (some snarl and sand paper). I am just asking. I am not saying I would or wouldn't. This is not a trade proposal.

Everyone would (and Nylander is yet to parlay his skillset into something better than Domi's last season, while also being VERY underwhelming last season). Also, winger vs. center.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
Another 50pt player?

Lets see him hit 72pts again. Prior to this, his high was 52 and his low was 35, also on bad teams.

But its equally as likely that he hits 72 again vs he will revert to his career average. I hope he does hit 72 again but its far from a lock.

I keep forgetting that he's 34 and had a career year with no signs of actual progress, genius!

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Well, he had his worst season and knew he had to do better, so he followed up by destroying everything and everyone in his path the next season...72 points as (mostly) a 23 year old is nothing short of elite.

I would say at least 1p/gp is elite. He was very good last season, but not elite.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
What percentages are those? His shooting percentage was only 13.5, that's definitely sustainable.

13.5% is pretty high for a guy who has primarily been a playmaker throughout his career. In his first three seasons he averaged 8.7%. His on-ice shooting percentage was also high at 10.7% at 5v5. Sustaining that over multiple years would put him at the top of the league.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
I keep forgetting that he's 34 and had a career year with no signs of actual progress, genius!

I'm continually amazed at how daft some people are but they continue to rise to the occasion.

I never said he couldnt progress. I didnt even imply it. In fact, I said I hope he DOES hit 72 again. All I said was is that its possible he doesnt.

Montreal had what .... 4 or 5 forwards that had career years last season. The possibility, despite Habs fans denials, that they hit lightning in a bottle that may not replicate. Sure, it certainly can again and I would love to see it. But its not a sure thing.

But, please, continue on with your inanity ...

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
it seemed to fit domi like a glove.
And when Drouin did it, he was the worst 1C in the league by a HUGE margin.
The titanic's maiden voyage went better than drouin down the middle.

.... And that's a huge credit to domi.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I'm continually amazed at how daft some people are but they continue to rise to the occasion.

I never said he couldnt progress. I didnt even imply it. In fact, I said I hope he DOES hit 72 again. All I said was is that its possible he doesnt.

Montreal had what .... 4 or 5 forwards that had career years last season. The possibility, despite Habs fans denials, that they hit lightning in a bottle that may not replicate. Sure, it certainly can again and I would love to see it. But its not a sure thing.

But, please, continue on with your inanity ...

Gotta discuss both sides then. The habs were a very good 5 on 5 team. I would anticipate a drop there.

However, they also had a God awful power play, so perhaps there will be a bit of a rebound in that category to somewhat compensate for 5 on 5 drops.

I'm not sure how stating that is some form of denial. I'm thinking about 65 points for domi next year if healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad