Who is the equivalent of Domi in a 1 for 1?

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Why did you only post his stats for last season? Did he put up similar numbers the year before? I forget.
the season before, he didnt play center
he also played in the desert

I have no idea of last season was an aberration or not. it it was it was a pleasant aberration.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Horribad Canadiens? That's quite a different narrative than has been spun on this board over the offseason.
horribad probably isnt fair. but we didnt make the playoffs last year and any improvement this year will have to come from the young kids,which is kinda iffy.

Right now, with no one to replace shawsie's production and Chiarot on the back end, are the habs demonstrably better than we were last year ?

its prety much a toss-up for me.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
How about zibanejad? Playing styles are very different but they are similar in the sense that they both had breakout years with 70 plus points.

I'm not sure who zibanejad played with but I'm assuming that he also had a below average linemates, like domi.

As for domi regressing, sure. I think it's likely that he does, but I don't expect it to be huge. His opportunities will probably be similar to last year, and a drop in 5 on 5 could be somewhat compensated by an improved PP, which can't be any worse than last year.

Reactions: North Man

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
Would anyone trade Nylander for Domi with a caveat that he can replicate his most recent season? I know Willy has an elite skill set, but Domi can possibly bring what Leafs don't have (some snarl and sand paper). I am just asking. I am not saying I would or wouldn't. This is not a trade proposal.
Yes. Nylander should be traded.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Well, there's still some red flags with Domi.

Defensively he was a bit underwhelming, he's below average at faceoffs and it was such a massive jump from previous years.

If he repeats close to this year, yeah his value is sky high but I don't think many GMs would gamble on Domi at this point, at least not with a huge return.

He's young and so talented, those red flags will go away but he's a tough one to evaluate value

The "red flags" were to be expected. He just moved to the center position in a tough market, and didn't have star wingers on his side.

Just compare it with the Drouin experiment the year before, and it puts things in perspective.

Faceoffs, and defensive awareness can come with experience, but the will to learn was evident in his play. His plus 20 was 2nd on the team, so he wasn't exactly a liability either, but certainly room to improve nonetheless.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
Okay guys, lets clear this up real fast.

While this past season may be an outlier; using his averages (including his rookie campaign and a terrible final year in Arizona) he is still a 60 point, 20 goal player. While those numbers are "just okay", he also has a ton of intangibles (compete level, physicality etc) --- there is a ton of reason to think that not only is this past season not an outlier, but actually an indicator of bigger and better things to come.

This was Domi's first season in the NHL player center. He played between combinations of Drouin, Lehkonen, Shaw and Tatar ... Shaw/Lehkonen are 30-40 point players, Tatar was an overperforming 45-50 point player, and Drouin is an under-performing 70ish point player. Domi had almost 20 points on Drouin, who is the only player comparable in terms of actual raw talent.

Domi also spent a lot of his time on the 1st line; meaning he was playing against top talents down the middle. In a world where Domi is a 1B center OR Domi has a legitimate 70+ point player on his wing, he can easily continue his production if not improve on it.

For his S%age (13.8%) it is only higher than his average because of those two abysmal years in Arizona (8.3/6.0) --- in his rookie campaign, he recorded 11.5, which isn't far off from the 13.8 he had this year. He had positive Corsi, positive Fenwick, and an acceptable FO% --- absolutely ridiculous to claim that Domi is going to regress by a factor > than 7-10 points.

There are very very few players in the NHL I would trade Domi for given his intangibles. Similarly to Gallagher, I would want a massive over-payment to consider moving on from him, especially if he can do what he did this year, again next year (which I believe is a given).

Given position, I'd say he's a little less valuable than a Larkin or Kuznetsov, but a little more valuable than players like RyJo, Sam Reinhart, RNH or Boeser.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
I'd say his value is a bit better than RNH, around Ziba and a less than Larkin.
Spoken like a true homer. Dude has no history to support that claim and acrtually has a lot of history to show he isnt worth that. He had career numbers in everything and will regress just like every one else. He is a 50-60 pt guy that can get hot randomly and do 60-70. He isn't bad but habs fans over value him significantly. SHOCKER

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Spoken like a true homer. Dude has no history to support that claim and acrtually has a lot of history to show he isnt worth that. He had career numbers in everything and will regress just like every one else. He is a 50-60 pt guy that can get hot randomly and do 60-70. He isn't bad but habs fans over value him significantly. SHOCKER
As opposed to Zibanejad who had a career high of 51 points prior to this past season, and is 2 years older than Domi?

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
As opposed to Zibanejad who had a career high of 51 points prior to this past season, and is 2 years older than Domi?
Who the f*** is pumping air in zibanejad's tires here? Oh thats right you cant defend the domi hype train so you go on the attack.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Who the **** is pumping air in zibanejad's tires here? Oh thats right you cant defend the domi hype train so you go on the attack.
You're on the attack here, the poster had him valued the same as Zib and a bit better than RNH which you threw a fit about. You don't even know what you took issue with?

mattydamon

May 2, 2011
Victoria, BC
Okay guys, lets clear this up real fast.

While this past season may be an outlier; using his averages (including his rookie campaign and a terrible final year in Arizona) he is still a 60 point, 20 goal player. While those numbers are "just okay", he also has a ton of intangibles (compete level, physicality etc) --- there is a ton of reason to think that not only is this past season not an outlier, but actually an indicator of bigger and better things to come.

This was Domi's first season in the NHL player center. He played between combinations of Drouin, Lehkonen, Shaw and Tatar ... Shaw/Lehkonen are 30-40 point players, Tatar was an overperforming 45-50 point player, and Drouin is an under-performing 70ish point player. Domi had almost 20 points on Drouin, who is the only player comparable in terms of actual raw talent.

Domi also spent a lot of his time on the 1st line; meaning he was playing against top talents down the middle. In a world where Domi is a 1B center OR Domi has a legitimate 70+ point player on his wing, he can easily continue his production if not improve on it.

For his S%age (13.8%) it is only higher than his average because of those two abysmal years in Arizona (8.3/6.0) --- in his rookie campaign, he recorded 11.5, which isn't far off from the 13.8 he had this year. He had positive Corsi, positive Fenwick, and an acceptable FO% --- absolutely ridiculous to claim that Domi is going to regress by a factor > than 7-10 points.

There are very very few players in the NHL I would trade Domi for given his intangibles. Similarly to Gallagher, I would want a massive over-payment to consider moving on from him, especially if he can do what he did this year, again next year (which I believe is a given).

Given position, I'd say he's a little less valuable than a Larkin or Kuznetsov, but a little more valuable than players like RyJo, Sam Reinhart, RNH or Boeser.

Personally I think you are overvaluing Domi at this stage - I could maybe see the RyJo answer just by virtue of age/salary but imo Boeser is more valuable not less. Definitely below Larkin/Kuz.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
The "red flags" were to be expected. He just moved to the center position in a tough market, and didn't have star wingers on his side.

Just compare it with the Drouin experiment the year before, and it puts things in perspective.

Faceoffs, and defensive awareness can come with experience, but the will to learn was evident in his play. His plus 20 was 2nd on the team, so he wasn't exactly a liability either, but certainly room to improve nonetheless.

that is a very low bar indeed

Reactions: FireChevy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->