Who is the closest to be dethroned on their respective position: Orr or Howe?

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Here Is The Legendary Rat Of HFBoards! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 13, 2012
Neither but if one of them is "the closest to be dethroned on their respective position" one day so it will be Howe. With how the game is currently, I don't see another defenseman to win Art Ross trophies. And with Orr, we don't have to forget how he revolutionized the game forever like no other player before or after him (excepted maybe Roy for goaltenders).

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
With how the game is currently, I don't see another defenseman to win Art Ross trophies.
I disagree. Defencemen are more and more involved in the offense today. Defencemen are required to be offensively talented and skate really well.

A defenceman winning the Ross is a much less absurd thought today than it was when Orr came along. On the other hand, I don't expect to ever see the kind of gap that Orr had over his peers just pure skill-wise... it's probably impossible.

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Here Is The Legendary Rat Of HFBoards! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 13, 2012
I disagree. Defencemen are more and more involved in the offense today. Defencemen are required to be offensively talented and skate really well.

A defenceman winning the Ross is a much less absurd thought today than it was when Orr came along. On the other hand, I don't expect to ever see the kind of gap that Orr had over his peers just pure skill-wise... it's probably impossible.
Indeed and this is why I don't think neither of Howe or Orr will be dethroned one day.

blogofmike

Dec 16, 2010
Orr. It is reasonable to want Bourque's longer career if you had to choose and knew what was going to happen.

Is there such a case for Hull or Richard or whoever else over Howe?

Reactions: Hippasus

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
So the question is basically which is better, the second best winger ever or the second best defenceman ever? Unless a person thinks that there is a really big gap between Howe and Orr. I'd say that Howe has closer competition.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
So the question is basically which is better, the second best winger ever or the second best defenceman ever? Unless a person thinks that there is a really big gap between Howe and Orr. I'd say that Howe has closer competition.

I think it's more like, which of them is more likely to be overtaken by some unknown player that's currently up and coming?

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017

I think it's more like, which of them is more likely to be overtaken by some unknown player that's currently up and coming?

The former one was what I had in mind, but I guess both interpretations are fine.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Orr dominated his defensive peers more than than Howe his wing peers. I think the former is harder to replicate and/or eclipse than the latter.

But if a defenseman comes along who is anywhere near Orr but with greater durability and longevity, you'd have to put him above Orr.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

its not just winning multiple Ross trophies, its the raw numbers too that are untouchable for any defenseman.

look at it this way...career PPG:

Orr - 1.39
Crosby - 1.29

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
For starters, a player that even comes close to Howe is going to have to come close to 20 straight seasons finishing top 5 in scoring. The player that's going to give Orr a run will need Art Ross trophies and will need to redefine their position.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
No one is close to Orr as a defenseman all time imo.

Richard and Hull are close to Howe. Ovechkin with enough longevity could be, maybe even closer. Heck even a Crosby has an eerily comparable resume to Howe (though not a winger) through 13 seasons.

Also - a defenseman winning the art ross in this era is by no means all that unlikely. Look at Karlsson's numbers in recent years, and look at how few points the Ross was won by in some of the recent years. The gap isn't that huge.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
Howe was a smart but not fast or quick enough to play center.
CITATIONS NEEDED BECAUSE APPEARS OBVIOUSLY FALSE.

Howe's alltime draft board bio has plenty of cited specific references to his skating abilities.

Howe had 'an effortless style and deceptive speed', ' a mongoose quickness', several praises of his smooth skating, Bowman's analysis of him as a complete player who has skilled hands, feet and head, where most stars have only two at a top level, he had all three. Bill Gadsby says he's seen plenty of good skaters try to catch Howe from behind and be unable to catch up. Plenty more references. Go to the linked master bios and see for yourself (I'd link them but I'm walking with my smartphone).

Reactions: scott clam

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
CITATIONS NEEDED BECAUSE APPEARS OBVIOUSLY FALSE.

Howe's alltime draft board bio has plenty of cited specific references to his skating abilities.

Howe had 'an effortless style and deceptive speed', ' a mongoose quickness', several praises of his smooth skating, Bowman's analysis of him as a complete player who has skilled hands, feet and head, where most stars have only two at a top level, he had all three. Bill Gadsby says he's seen plenty of good skaters try to catch Howe from behind and be unable to catch up. Plenty more references. Go to the linked master bios and see for yourself (I'd link them but I'm walking with my smartphone).

1958 Poll:

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/61235263/

Ah yes, the ATD. But you do not cite anyone stating that Gordie Howe should play center nor do you cite examples of Howe catching a fast skater from behind. Orr/Cournoyer, Fedorov/Yzerman.

Nothing that points to center skating requisites provided by you.

Last edited:

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I don't think there's anything on the horizon that would suggest either's spot is in jeopardy.

However, I suppose the fact that Orr did things that no other defender has ever done may mean it's him.

But both are still cemented in history.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
That only supports the idea that Howe could play center. Howe was voted the best passer and best playmaker AHEAD of all centers including Beliveau, a skillset one most often identifies with a pivot. Howe was also voted smartest player. The fastest skater was Henri Richard, a center, so I assume you thought that's somehow a relevant source to show Howe lacked speed?
But you do not cite anyone stating that Gordie Howe should play center nor do you cite examples of Howe catching a fast skater from behind. Orr/Cournoyer, Federov/Yzerman.
Lol. I was simply citing references against your claim that Howe was somehow not fast or quick enough to be a center. I asked you to support such a wild claim and you cited a poll that doesnt. I referenced several accounts of his speed and quickness and direct you to where more citations are.

Peace. Out.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
It is pretty obvious that Howe would be put at centre if he grew up in Canada in recent times. That's just the way that young Canadian forwards are typically handled, even when their games seem more suitable for the wing. I doubt that he would have been brought along in a different manner than another Saskatchewan player in Getzlaf.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
It is pretty obvious that Howe would be put at centre if he grew up in Canada in recent times. That's just the way that young Canadian forwards are typically handled, even when their games seem more suitable for the wing. I doubt that he would have been brought along in a different manner than another Saskatchewan player in Getzlaf.

No, both would have played defence at the youth level today. Saskatchewan or anywhere else.

Both are RHS - premium for modern defencemen. Playing defence allows the youth team roughly 10 more minutes of ice time for their best player and a rotation amongst all three forward lines.

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
Returning to the topic...

This is a tough one. Modern, more refined defensive schemes militate against any Defenseman holding sway over the full length of the ice the way Orr did. However...

the physical demands of the modern game militate against any forward ever having the combination of productivity and freakish longevity that Gordie Howe did.

Don't think either one is going to happen, but if I had to choose the less unlikely event, I would say that it's ever-so-slightly more probable that something could loosen up with rules-changes in the next 100-200 years (if hockey [and humanity] last that long) that might make an Orr-like career a remote possibility. I don't see hockey going in a direction that will make it significantly less physically demanding, either in the near OR far future.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
No, both would have played defence at the youth level today. Saskatchewan or anywhere else.

Both are RHS - premium for modern defencemen. Playing defence allows the youth team roughly 10 more minutes of ice time for their best player and a rotation amongst all three forward lines.

I doubt it, but it's more likely than Howe remaining a winger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->