News Article: Who Is The Bruins Biggest Rival Today

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Second article in a couple of days. This one was a lot of fun to write. I took a look at the B’s v Habs rivalry of the past and who their biggest rival is today.

Who Is The Bruins Biggest Rival Today?

Feedback is appreciated. If you disagree with my thoughts and think someone else is a legit rival for the Bruins, let me know.

Hopefully you enjoy reading this one as much as I enjoyed writing it. Brought back a lot of memories.

Last edited:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I still despise the Habs far more than the Leafs. But if you factor in on-ice (teams/players) and off-ice(fan-bases), it's Toronto right now. Leaf fans for years really didn't get worked up about the Bruins at all, but since 2013, Leaf fans despise the Bruins. Doesn't hurt that the media up here in Canada love to bring up 2013's Game 7 collapse on a regular basis still to this day.

Reactions: KrejciMVP

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I know in my heart that the Bruins will keep the #1 seed and the Habs will upset Pittsburgh which means we would meet our old friends again.

Reactions: BMC

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I know in my heart that the Bruins will keep the #1 seed and the Habs will upset Pittsburgh which means we would meet our old friends again.
That would be great, a good old fashion sweep...

200 (1).gif

Olden McGroin

Aug 1, 2009
Teams that worry me like Washington and Tampa seem like our biggest rival. Leafs aren't good enough to be on that level. Habs is still a rivalry but watching Pastnak light them up every game now makes that one sided too

This^^^. Maybe not the biggest rivals to a lot of fans, but the Caps and Bolts also bring an element of physicality that the Leafs and Habs lack.

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
It’s still Montreal for me. They aren’t great now, but that’s just way it goes throughout time. The Habs are good and the Bruins aren’t so much and vice versa. This is the way.

It was really fun when they were both good. These times will come again

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Traditionally and always habs...

...current heat - Tampa, Toronto is always there but they haven't hurt us yet, they are more in the pain in the ass category.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
Biggest current rival is the Lightning IMO. Quickly breezed through the article, but that would be my choice for biggest current rival. Until the Leafs beat us, or show some fight (without Kadri wasn't much this year) I can't crown them... and the Habs haven't really been a challenge lately, and the nasty has come way down in the last 10 years. So Lightning for sure. Absolutely loathe them and their coach

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I would say that historically speaking, it will always be Montreal, and they are on a brief hiatus right now. I can see the case for Tampa, but the Bruins just haven't played them as much recently in the playoffs, which is why I give the edge to Toronto right now.

Hope everyone is having a great 4th of July weekend.

BruinsNetwork

I think it's Toronto.

Montreal hasn't been relevant enough and there's been so much turnover in that organization that a lot of the older "rival" players have since moved on. Plus, the Bruins have rarely been matched up against them in the playoffs in recent years.

Tampa? I would say they're the biggest threat, rather than the biggest rival. The Bruins have been almost guaranteed to play Toronto in the playoffs since they've become relevant and good again. Pretenders or not, I think Toronto is the biggest rivalry right now.

Of course, Montreal will always be the big rival of the team and I'm sure, historically speaking, if they match up against us it'll be quite the rehashing of old festivities.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The list always begins with Montreal. Everyone else is playing for second place: Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay, Philadelphia. I don't include Toronto, they're just pretenders- they're annoying as hell with their sense of entitlement but I can't take any team that got beat by a 42 year old Zamboni driver seriously.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
TB

The only other good team in division.

Habs irrelevant for years and years to come.

Leafs pretenders top heavy and Bruins always beating them.

All the other teams bad to very bad except of Flo who is never taking the next step and a bubble playoffs team.

Reactions: Olden McGroin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad