Who Is The Bigger Rival?

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Pens first, after that I'm not even sure. My hatred for everything Pens is so much stronger than any feelings for the Rangers or Devils.

orangecrush8

May 21, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I despise the Penguins, there isn't a single player on that team I can say I dont mind or respect.

I cant say the same for the Rangers. And as much as it pains me to say, Id kill to have Callahan and Girardi on this team.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Pens. Besides the fact that they killed us last year, I actually kind of like the Rags. That feels really weird to say.

I like Lundqvist but not the team. probably has to do with the fact that i used to play the same position and he's imo the best in the game currently at what he does.

LEIFey

Context Matters!
Jun 28, 2007
Ann Arbor, MI
I like Lundqvist but not the team. probably has to do with the fact that i used to play the same position and he's imo the best in the game currently at what he does.

I don't really dislike anyone in particular on their current team. I could never say that I'm a Rags fan, but their team right now really lacks the guys like Avery that I used to love to hate.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
1. Pens
2. Devils
3. Rangers

I hate the Pens, but only since 2007 when their fans were so obnoxious! Before that I never hated them.

The Devils I hate because they always beat us when it mattered from 1995 until 2003, but at least I respect the Devils. They built their teams from good drafting and coaching in spite of never drafting high (except for Niedermeyer in 1991 from smart trading with Toronto) unlike the Pens.

I don't mind the Rangers too much. As a Flyers fan I should, but I hate many other teams more.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
I still hate the Devils and the Leafs at least as much as the Pens. Devils are probably #1. You know what else? I still hate the Panthers because of '96, too.

Man, I hated the Panthers for a long time after that. I hated that particular team because they had all 3rd liners like Mellanby and Skrudland who kept saying that they were legitimately good, but then they did nothing after that one year after getting dismantled by the Avalanche.

Heck, I still have problems with the Caps from 1988.

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
I will have to agree with most here and say the Pens. After all the whining from the players, coaches and fans about the "dirty Flyers" they play that disgraceful series last season. I think there are very, very few Pens fans who will admit their team behaved like a bunch of punks in defeat last season.

Prior to last season I would have said the Devils. If both the Pens and Devils were equally bad and not obnoxious - I would hate the Devils more based on the amount of past frustration and failure against them.

AbsolutelyNot

Nov 8, 2012
PA
While I dislike them both a lot, I cant stand the Penguins. Everything they stand for, the lucking into star players by sucking for so long, almost moving, bandwagon fans, their p*ssy antics. Nothing satisfies me more than beating them.
The Rangers, I have a lot of respect for. They have a character team, stand up guys that buy in and sacrifice to win. They dont play dirty. Maybe I dont hate them because the Flyers have had the better of the play between the 2 years over my lifetime (minus the last season and a half). Their fans are similar to Flyers fans, have been around forever and still showed up during the down years.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Hate is a very strong word, I only reserve those feelings towards the dallas cowboys. I would have to say the teams I dislike the most are the Bruins, followed closely by the Leafs (though I dont really care much for them anymore due to them being so bad), then any of of the Penguins, Habs, or Devils. I dont have much disdain for the Rangers.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Hate is a very strong word, I only reserve those feelings towards the dallas cowboys. I would have to say the teams I dislike the most are the Bruins, followed closely by the Leafs (though I dont really care much for them anymore due to them being so bad), then any of of the Penguins, Habs, or Devils. I dont have much disdain for the Rangers.

Hate is a strong word. I only hate two teams and that is the current penguins squad and the 94-2003 Devils. I cant even hate this devils team because there is no one to center my hate around. I have never hated the Rangers or Islanders.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
For me Pitt is the flavor of the day and most people will call them out. But for me it will always be the rags, just cannot stand the city the teams and the people. After those two it is Boston another team who I dislike.

JohnnyOnTheSpot

I Believe in G-Sus
Feb 3, 2010
Philadelphia
I actually didn't really care about the Pens until a few years ago...growing up I always hated, in this order:

1) Rangers
2) Sabres
3) Devils
4) Capitals
5) Red Wings

Now I utterly despise the Penguins and every thing they stand for, have accomplished...just irritates me. I hate how the team is only good because they were so horribly for so long. Sabres have also kind of gotten sad, same with Crapitals. So now it's:

1) Penguins
2) Rangers
3) Devils
4) Bruins
5) Blackharks

Basically if you're in our division and aren't the Islanders or you eliminated us in the past few years.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
I think the old-timers (no offense) might have a different opinion than the rest.

My dad really despises the Rangers. Also has a disdain towards the Devils because of '95 and 2000 (which I remember, unfortunately).

I dislike the Penguins mostly because of their fanbase. Unbearable on a good day.

pughater

Jan 25, 2008
montgomery county
my hated rival is the injuries we magically suffer every year going and into the playoffs. that freaking team kicks our behind every year. gosh to think if healthy how many freaking cups could of been ours. id say pens would be a second behind injuries

youthoftoday

Jun 14, 2011
Philly
Now, its definitely the Pens. Obviously the networks feel the same way since they are using this game to basically kick off the season.
I still think over say the last 20 years, its been the Devils. During that time they have been the only other team in the division that has been consistently good and like others have said, knocked us out of getting to the SC. The problem that holds it back from being a huge rivalry is their lack of a vocal fan base. You never have trouble finding Ranger and Pen fans in the area and at games, but Devils fans are few and far between. We never gone through long stretches with the Rangers and Pens where both of us were good.

Mkoll

Inkvisiittori
Jul 5, 2008
New Brunswick, Canada
Pitt.
Montreal.
New Jersey.

I would like to say, most of the fans are decent folks. While in stadiums or on message boards many get on my nerves, in person I always get along with them :)

In the end, we are all hockey fans, and that is bonding.

Last edited:

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I hate the Devils, Rangers and Pens roughly equally. Usually the last team we faced in the playoffs out of the three nudges ahead a bit for a while.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad