Who is the better coach Berube, Jon Cooper or Torts?

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
As a Lightning fan who has seen two of these guys win it all, I think the type of team you have drastically colors your answer. I like Cooper with the current group, but I have to think the failures in the conference final against Washington and Pittsburgh, and the flame out against Columbus, would not have occurred under Torts. However, his style also leads to burnout / tuneout so he may not have been afforded a chance #4 like Cooper finally won on last season.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Surprised so many people are saying torts. His teams are almost always mediocre. He hasn't done anything since winning the cup 17 years ago. Plus he's the whiniest coach in hockey.
I'd be pissed if my team hired Torts.

Cooper is the easy choice for me.

SteveHanson

Jan 22, 2021
Whitehorse
Torts if we're talking short term, Cooper if we're talking long term.

Berube shouldn't even be mentioned in the same category.
Slightly agree with you in the sense that Chief hasnt coached as long. But he brought the Blues from awful to the cup....and i love his no-bullshit also entertaining style. And he really cares about his players.

Reactions: Tom Pierce

DownIsTheNewUp

Mar 27, 2017
Tampa
Torts, say what you want about him, but his teams always show up to play and he has the tactical nous to back it up
Agree with this, a lot is made of Torts ability to get the most out of his players, but he's also got a great hockey mind and his teams play with great defensive structure.

Berube I don't know as well, but as a Lightning fan it's been a joy to watch Cooper and Torts do their thing. Personality wise so different, Cooper is thoughtful and measured while Torts is fiery and emotional, but both use those gifts to control the psychology of their team in great ways. As someone else said, I might give the edge to Torts right now, but his methods likely lead to a shorter shelf life.

Reactions: Allan92

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad