Who is the best winger in the NHL under 23?

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Laine had scored 80 goals in the NHL as a teenager.. Kyle Connor hadn't even made the NHL at that age.

Goldfish memories

Was talking about Ehlers.

And well aware of the amount of goals Laine has scored. As others have said, I don't rate him as an overall player. Too one dimensional. That dimension is great, but when he's not scoring, he's kind of meh to me.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
Pasta
Rantanen
Laine/Marner
DeBrincat (he will start showing up more on these lists after this season)

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Nylander is better than Marner, but I guess he's not currently in the NHL.
As a Leafs fan, I disagree. Nylander is great, but Marner is better IMO - more slippery with the puck, better vision, better hustle. Also does a better job elevating his game in key moments/against top competition. Nylander is stronger and a smoother skater, but I don’t think it makes up for Marner’s other advantages.

BillNy

Jun 20, 2018
As a Leafs fan, I disagree. Nylander is great, but Marner is better IMO - more slippery with the puck, better vision, better hustle. Also does a better job elevating his game in key moments/against top competition. Nylander is stronger and a smoother skater, but I don’t think it makes up for Marner’s other advantages.

I just sorta disagree with everything you said Marner is better at. And Nylander isn't just a stronger skater, but he's got a stronger stick. Much better at maintaining possession after the zone is taken (Marner's admittedly a little more agile, probably better on the rush).

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
No, but you can probably get 35 of them that way.

Just like Frank Vatrano and Pulkinnen, right? Martin Frk has the best shot on the Wings, he had a whopping 11 goals last season. The list goes on and on. The myth that Laine can do nothing but shoot is the dumbest thing I've ever seen in my life, and is something that was said about Ovi for the longest time

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Pastrnak and Rantanen are clearly the top 2 when it comes to all around play and generating offense.

wabagee

Nov 24, 2014
He’s a good player but he really lucked out having chemistry with two of the best players in the league. We’ve all seen how big Joe made peons into goalscorers.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
The recency bias that posters have on this site is hysterical.

If you are talking about the downplaying of Laine, I agree to some extent. But you can’t be making that statement in regards to pretty much the universal choices of Pasta or Mikko because both are coming off elite seasons last year and have merely raised their games to a whole new level this season.

If it’s not Pasta or Mikko, who is it? Aho would be right there too but the darned Canes has to go and turn him into a superstar center!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->