Who is the Best Sabre to Ever Wear the # 16?

Who is the best Sabres player to have worn the uniform # 16?

• Ron Anderson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Peter McNab

• Ric Seiling

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I figured with the hockey summer doldrums upon us, I'd run a poll each day on who people think is the best Sabre to ever wear a particular number.

There are 11 players who wore #16 at least once. But to narrow it down, I'm only going to consider those who wore the number at least a full season for a reasonable number of games. Sorry Butch Deadmarsh, Randy Wyrozub, Real Lemieux, Paul Brydges, Mike Donnelly, and Darrin Shannon.

Only consider how that player played while with the Sabres - so, not their NHL career in general.

I'll stick to the main numbers for which players are known.

Polls will allow voting for two days and I'll post the latest results in each poll.

Results so far:

#1 Don Edwards 77.4%
#2 Tim Horton 96.4%
#3 James Patrick 45.7%
#4 Jerry Korab 52.6%
#5 Mike Ramsey 84.9%
#6 Phil Housley 81.0%
#7 Rick Martin 98.2%
#8 Jim Lorenz 38.1%
#9 Derek Roy 91.3%
#10 Craig Ramsay 47.4%
#11 Gilbert Perreault BYE
#12 Ales Kotalik 57.8%
#13 Yuri Khmylev 89.8%
#14 René Robert 100%

Please, no coaching, GM, or owner talk in here!

Your choices are:

Ron Anderson 1971-1972
Peter McNab 1975-1976
Ric Seiling 1978-1986
Pat LaFontaine 1992-1997
Chris Taylor 2000-2004

Tsujimoto

Jan 23, 2006
I'd be fine if 16 and 18 came down, to be honest. We have way too many retired numbers for a franchise that's never won a Cup.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I'd be fine if 16 and 18 came down, to be honest. We have way too many retired numbers for a franchise that's never won a Cup.

This may sound like blasphemy, but I always thought that #14 was less deserving than those other two. I mean, we all love the French Connection, but was Robert on his own deserving to have his number retired?

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Poor Ric Seiling. He was a longtime, good player for us.

But......
But...... he will always be known as the guy drafted one pick ahead of Mike Bossy.

It's not like Seiling didn't get 3 breakaways a game... he'd just be lucky to get even a shot-on-goal from one of them. They passed on a generational finisher to select a generational anti-finisher.

This may sound like blasphemy, but I always thought that #14 was less deserving than those other two. I mean, we all love the French Connection, but was Robert on his own deserving to have his number retired?

First Sabre to hit 100 points. Integral to the success of the French Connection, he wasn't a passenger.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldgoalie

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I'm all for having the entire French Connection line in the rafters. I think the only other number that should be up there with them is Hasek's 39, though. I agree we've got too many retired jerseys for a franchise that hasn't won anything. 16 and 18 were great players, but their highest accolades with the Sabres were one 2nd team All-Star selection apiece. Horton's career mostly happened in Toronto. Tragic that he passed away so young, but being on the roster when you die shouldn't be a thing that gets you automatic jersey retirement.

Reactions: Howie Hodge

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
But...... he will always be known as the guy drafted one pick ahead of Mike Bossy.

It's not like Seiling didn't get 3 breakaways a game... he'd just be lucky to get even a shot-on-goal from one of them. They passed on a generational finisher to select a generational anti-finisher.

I remember Seiling scoring both goals in game 7 of the Adams Division Final in Boston back in 1983. Gave the Sabres a 2-0 lead.

He was a good player. So good, in fact, he survived Scotty Bowman’s demolition of the late 70’s Sabres. Seiling was a heckuva defensive forward.

Funny thing is, Seiling had the same career shooting pct. as a Sabres as Danny Gare.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
I'm all for having the entire French Connection line in the rafters. I think the only other number that should be up there with them is Hasek's 39, though. I agree we've got too many retired jerseys for a franchise that hasn't won anything. 16 and 18 were great players, but their highest accolades with the Sabres were one 2nd team All-Star selection apiece. Horton's career mostly happened in Toronto. Tragic that he passed away so young, but being on the roster when you die shouldn't be a thing that gets you automatic jersey retirement.

Agreed....good post.

I think Lindy Ruff belongs up there for his playing and coaching career.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Agree. Saw him in Colorado after he landed here with the Rockies. He wasn't the same. He'll even tell you that.

Sabres have way too many retired numbers.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
idk, i like the mystique. Memorialize the players for what they meant to the franchise/city

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY

Number 11 and 39 should be retired, and that's it. (Gare and Horton may be, outside of Gil and Dom, my all time favorite players - but...)

I personally hate higher numbers, but I'm just a cranky old man who lives in the past.

And where is Rany Wyrozub in this poll??

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
#11 and #39 should be the only retired numbers for the Sabres. If you want to honor the other guys, then give them something else, like a street name or an area around the Arena. There's no reason why the others should have their numbers retired.

Reactions: Tsujimoto

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
#11 and #39 should be the only retired numbers for the Sabres. If you want to honor the other guys, then give them something else, like a street name or an area around the Arena. There's no reason why the others should have their numbers retired.

I always prefer a ring of honor to retiring numbers.

But, that's just me...

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Mount Puckmore: Four players who define each Atlantic team

Mount Puckmore: Four players who define each Atlantic Division team

Buffalo Sabres

Dominik Hasek, G (1992-2001)
Ryan Miller, G (2002-14)
Gilbert Perreault, C (1970-87)
Rob Ray, RW (1989-03)
Potential replacements:
Dave Andreychuk LW, (1982-92); Phil Housley, D (1982-90); Pat LaFontaine, C (1991-97); Rick Martin, LW (1971-80); Craig Ramsay, LW (1971-85)
Puckmore coach: Lindy Ruff (1998-2013)
Puckmore GM: Darcy Regier (1997-2013)

What the....

Tsujimoto

Jan 23, 2006
I like what Toronto used to do with honoring numbers but keeping them in circulation, or like the Bills do with their Wall of Fame. Retiring numbers should only be for the really extraordinary cases.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad