Who is the best forward in this years draft?

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
The various posts so far show what kind of a draft it is. The best forward could easily be picked a little later, perhaps someone like Kyle Okposo or Derrick Brassard. It will be interesting to see what happens in the long run.

But for now, although Toews is my favourite, I will go with Kessel, who I think is likely to be the closest thing to a consensus best forward at this point.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
personally i would rate it in terms of how i would draft

Kessel and Toews > Staal and Backstrom and Mueller

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
Best right now? Kessel, maybe Backstrom.

Highest potential? Staal.

Surest bet? Toews.

Who will turn out best? Well, who knows. If it's me guessing I go with Staal.

The order the top three forwards (Staal Kessel Toews) go I think will really just come down to the preference of the teams picking, as I don't think there is much of a consensus.

rick hawk

Apr 9, 2004
Kessel. Staal hasn't shown elite offense. He may have it but he hasn't shown it yet.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
rick hawk said:
Kessel. Staal hasn't shown elite offense. He may have it but he hasn't shown it yet.
He shows the tools for it. Production is important to some extent (and he has produced to some extent), but this is a guy who obviously has the talent to be an elite offensive player, and is expected to follow a steep development curve.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I'm just gonna say it. We all know it will be Staal, eventually. Those Staal boys just get better and better. And this one may have the highest potential of the 4! :eek:

Quote from McKeens "...able to weave around players effortlessly as he has quick wrists, much like Rick Nash, and is a talented stickhandler who sees the ice very well .. played very hard in the third period as he made several cross-ice passes that should have been converted into goals .. his size really allows him to take over games as he drives to the net lowering his shoulder almost forcing defenseman to haul him down, while his soft hands and touch make him lethal in close..."

He may take a little bit to full figure out that massive frame of his. But once he does, watch out. Big, quick, soft-handed, guys with vision don't come around that often, and whoever gets him is a very lucky team.

As an Oiler fan I really hope it is a team out East.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
I'm a gophers rube, and love to tout the players...

That said, people who are saying he's by far the most skilled and most lethal.....I dunno.....

He is quick and does have a great snap shot especially, but I'm not sure if he's what everyone here is talking about.

I'm not sure if he was in the qmjhl he would have more pts then brassard, or if he was in the OHL he would outdo Little....

My point is he's really good, and I'm glad the gophers have him, but he doesn't seem to have that same magic and clutch goal scoring *yet* like Vanek had right from the get go as a Gopher.

I like him a lot, but I think some who haven't seen much, or any of him, are overrating him a bit...

Very good player, probably a top line winger in the not too distant future, but it also won't shock me if a staal, brassard, mueller, tlusty, okposo ends up just as good.

who knows.. :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad