Who is the best defenseman right now of this group?

Who is the best defenseman of this group?

• Total voters

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Jones/Klingberg is very close. Went with Klingberg just because he's a bit more of an offensive catalyst and his defensive game has IMO taken a big step forward.

Long term I like Provorov to be the best of this group, though Jones and Werenski are going to be a very good duo for a very long time.

Reactions: Jorkkila

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
I think I'll say Jones but I think in a year or two Charlie McAvoy is going to be right there too.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Jones/Klingberg is very close. Went with Klingberg just because he's a bit more of an offensive catalyst and his defensive game has IMO taken a big step forward.

Long term I like Provorov to be the best of this group, though Jones and Werenski are going to be a very good duo for a very long time.
Is Klingberg really more of a catalyst though? I think you have to consider the fact Dallas has a stacked top line with 70-80 point players and 30-40 goal scorers where aside from Panarin, Jones has nothing like that to work with. Next year if Columbus' top line continues to grow and finish better Jones assist totals will get a big boost. For reference Jones was the 2nd highest point total in Columbus, 9 points clear of 3rd

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Is Klingberg really more of a catalyst though? I think you have to consider the fact Dallas has a stacked top line with 70-80 point players and 30-40 goal scorers where aside from Panarin, Jones has nothing like that to work with. Next year if Columbus' top line continues to grow and finish better Jones assist totals will get a big boost. For reference Jones was the 2nd highest point total in Columbus, 9 points clear of 3rd

Fair points for sure. Considering Klingberg has been at least a 40pt defender every year he has been in the league and has a career .71ppg compared to Jones' .46, I think you can comfortably call him more of an offensive catalyst. At least at this point in their careers.

I realize this kind of unfairly penalizes Jones for being good enough to play in the NHL in a bottom pairing role at the age of 18, but the difference is significant enough to consider it anyway. Also as far as the eye test is concerned I often see Klingberg leading and joining the rush and he might be top 3 in the league at walking the blue line and finding the open man on the PP. Truly is one of the more adept blueliners in the OZ. It's not that these facets are not in Jones' game, they certainly are, I just happen to think Klingberg is better at them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad