Who is the Best Backup Goaltender in the NHL?

JenniferH

Holts Did It
Nov 7, 2013
Georgia
Gubauer is not exactly showing it so far this season.
Nah, Grubi's been playing lights out, the Caps were still in there 'gelling' phase with the new players/recovering from injuries, etc. when Grubi was in net. It wasn't on him. I'd still say he's pretty darn great.

Cygnusx1018

Jul 17, 2017
....and that person is you. Most Isle fans are behind Griess not Halak. Check out the Facebook page, check out the Isles board.

Really? I have no clue why. Greiss has been Berube bad this year. He's had a couple good games, but more bad than good. Halak has been okay, some bad games, some good games. They've both struggled, but Halak has easily been the better of the two.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
It's hard to tell. Backups play very little on most teams. I'd go with a back up that has starter like numbers and plays around 20-25 games. Not many out there.

For example, one game changed McElhinney's SV% from .900 to .925 because he barely plays. He's had 3 good games and 2 bad games.

Are there back ups out there that look good on most nights?

I'd pick the backups of teams who are stingy and give up very few goals. Like SJ, LA, Capitals last year etc.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
It's hard to tell. Backups play very little on most teams. I'd go with a back up that has starter like numbers and plays around 20-25 games. Not many out there.

For example, one game changed McElhinney's SV% from .900 to .925 because he barely plays. He's had 3 good games and 2 bad games.

Are there back ups out there that look good on most nights?

I'd pick the backups of teams who are stingy and give up very few goals. Like SJ, LA, Capitals last year etc.

There was 49 goalies last season that played 20 or more games.

Dell has looked good every night he has been asked to start. Having 1 bad bad game where he allowed 5 goals.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Obviously there are goalies who play at a high level in relief and look like they should be starters. But someone often overlooked as best backup, is the type of goalies who are career backups and do well in that role.

Keith Kinkaid with the Devils is consistently good but not great, and he does so despite rarely getting a start. That's a professional backup who knows his role and does it well.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00