Who is the 5th best offensive player of all-time ??

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
The big four are also the four best offensive players of all-time.

If just looking at offense, who would be number 5 ??

Candidates:

Jagr
Bossy
Coffey
Esposito
Hull
Mikita
Bentley
Morenz
Conacher
Cook
Lalonde
Etc.

I would say Bobby Hull. Maybe the best goal scorer ever. Jagr or Esposito could be argued for as well. Also Rocket Richard, even though he never won a scoring title but when he was playing I am pretty sure he was viewed as the best scorer ever, until Howe topped him but Howe is top 4.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Hull or Richard. Pretty much depends on your opinion of WHA/Gordie Howe.

Fred Taylor

The Cyclone
Sep 20, 2011
Jagr would be my answer. 5 Art Rosses and 2 runner ups where he distanced himself from 3rd place by 29 and 17 points tells the story.

shazariahl

Apr 7, 2009
Coffey, really?

I wouldn't vote for him, but he probably deserves to be on the list. He's clearly the 2nd best offensive defenseman of all time, and TBH, he's a lot farther ahead of #3 than Orr is ahead of him (offensively only of course - Orr also played great D).

That being said, I'd have to go with Jagr, Espo, or Hull. If Jagr keeps up his play this season though, I might say him, based on dominant peak + longevity.

KingGallagherXI

Jul 10, 2009
Richard has nearly the same amount of top 5 and top 10 seasons than Hull so I don't see why people are so quick to dismiss him. He could be the clutchest player of all time.

brianscot

Jan 1, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
Here's another name to ponder: Jean Beliveau.

During the last 20 seasons before expansion, Howe naturally scored the most points, but Believeau was actually first in points per game. (Barely, over Howe 1.09 to 1.07)

He was top 3 in scoring 7 times, and just for the heck of it, for his career, averaged just as many points in the playoffs as he did the regular season. (roughly 1,.08)

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
For arguments sake, is Orr really one of the 4 best offensive players of all-time? Are we going by raw results, or by offensive talent? Sure Orr might have had better offensive talent, but he was outproduced by Esposito. Most of the people discussed in this thread are being evaluated on results, moreso than raw talent.

Pear Juice

Dec 12, 2007
Gothenburg, SWE
For arguments sake, is Orr really one of the 4 best offensive players of all-time? Are we going by raw results, or by offensive talent? Sure Orr might have had better offensive talent, but he was outproduced by Esposito. Most of the people discussed in this thread are being evaluated on results, moreso than raw talent.
Isn't the talent quite irrelevant if the results do not follow? Which leads neatly on to Marcel Dionne. If we disregard his lack of team success and just consider his offensive output, surely he should be in the discussion. But then again, should we?

JaymzB

Apr 8, 2003
Toronto
As big a fan I am of Beliveau and Richard, I don’t think you could make any real argument for 5th best pure offensive player.

I think Jagr wins this one for me, with Hull and Esposito finishing right behind him.

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site

2 Art Ross by a d-man, the ONLY 2 and the only other player to break 100 assists in a season not named Gretzky or Lemieux and the only one that didn't do it in the 80's pretty much says it all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->