Prospect Info: Who is the #3 Prospect in the Blues Prospect Pool?

Who is the #3 Prospect in the Blues Prospect Pool?

• Erik Foley

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nolan Stevens

• Evan Fitzpatrick

• Colten Ellis

• Joel Hofer

• Tyler Tucker

• Mathias Laferriere

• Keean Washkurak

• Evan Polei

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I went with Reinke here. He has actually produced at the AHL level and I honestly think his game translates to the NHL with some more film study and development.
Reinke reminds me of Kris Russell. I would say that is his comparable ceiling, too.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
But he hasn't consistently shown strong. He was disappointment at last year's prospect camp and quite underwhelming at WJC. If you are expecting him to be an NHL All Star I am afraid you will be sorely disappointed. He isn't tracking for AHL All Star at this rate. You just think he has higher ceiling bc he was taken in 1st round after previously being touted as top European skater in the draft. Nothing he has done since then has supported his draft position. Again, I get that he was one of youngest guys in AHL and may take huge leap forward, but that feels like wishful thinking as much as anything.

And your dismissal that the others project as 7th D types is an opinion not universally shared. Perunovich has been compared to Torey Krug who played a key part on Eastern Conference Champion Bruins. Whether he reaches that level is another question. Mikkola has been dubbed by some as more mobile Edmundson, who many on here think is quality 2nd pairing D (I'm not one of those people, so YMMV). Again, maybe he isn't. But you are making assumptions to support your position not citing anything near consensus opinion of these guys.
Perunovich really needs to work on his skating to resemble Krug. Perunovich skates well enough, but doesn't have the explosive burst that Krug has. He also hasn't exhibited any of the "in your face" edge that made Krug difficult to play against. I think a better comparison for his ceiling is Grzelcyk.

Last edited:

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Went Mikkola for high probability top 6 defensemen. Also accept Perunovich, Husso, and Reinke as reasonable answers here.

The Kostin votes are weird to me when was up with Walman as the worst player on the AHL team last year. Just feels like voting because we used a 1st on him.

hes playing in a league where players his age dont usually play yet outside of a select group of high end players. same thing happens to alex nylander because people dont really know how to judge non elite prospects in the ahl under 20.

Hrkac Circus

Dec 11, 2014
Vienna, IL
I voted Kostin. After watching him at prospect camp this year it seems to me like the possibility for of him being an impact player is there. He has a good combination of physical play and offensive skill that could make him a contributor in a Cup run.

JoshFromMO

Apr 6, 2015
Missoura
I voted Reinke due to having NHL experience and having a great rookie season in the A. I don't really count Mac as a prospect now that he's on a 1 way

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
To explain why MacEachern is on the list, I don't really want to say he's graduated at this point because he's barely played 1/3 of a season in total. Binnington may have 32 regular season games, but he's played 58 total NHL games when including the playoffs. I'm not one to say someone has graduated from prospect status until he displays enough long-term success, because it's not hard for a new player to look impressive for 10 - 20 games at a time. Jori Lehtera and newly acquired Jake Dotchin come to mind on that point. What's hard is to maintain that level of play for a prolonged period of time so as to show that player belongs in the NHL, or at least better than what we all consider a prospect. Now, people have different degrees of what constitutes "graduated", so I understand that my definition isn't going to be reflected among the crowd. But that this point, I consider MacEachern on the same level of Sanford after the 2016 - 2017 season. There is promise from what he has shown at the NHL level, but there isn't enough to work from to gauge a career prognostication.

However, if enough people wish to remove MacEachern from the prospects list, I will do so for all future polls.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
It’s cleaner to just use the definition from HF. No subjectivity about who is or isn’t a prospect.

For skaters:
Under 24 and played less than 65 games.

For goalies:
45 games

There are some exceptions for late-signing NCAA or European players that basically give them a 3 year clock if they sign after 22y old.

Reactions: Bluesnatic27

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
To explain why MacEachern is on the list, I don't really want to say he's graduated at this point because he's barely played 1/3 of a season in total. Binnington may have 32 regular season games, but he's played 58 total NHL games when including the playoffs. I'm not one to say someone has graduated from prospect status until he displays enough long-term success, because it's not hard for a new player to look impressive for 10 - 20 games at a time. Jori Lehtera and newly acquired Jake Dotchin come to mind on that point. What's hard is to maintain that level of play for a prolonged period of time so as to show that player belongs in the NHL, or at least better than what we all consider a prospect. Now, people have different degrees of what constitutes "graduated", so I understand that my definition isn't going to be reflected among the crowd. But that this point, I consider MacEachern on the same level of Sanford after the 2016 - 2017 season. There is promise from what he has shown at the NHL level, but there isn't enough to work from to gauge a career prognostication.

However, if enough people wish to remove MacEachern from the prospects list, I will do so for all future polls.

I’m good with still considering MacMac a prospect. Personally, I’m surprised the Blues gave him a one-way contract after a short stretch as a good 4th liner. With him, Blais, Schmaltz and likely some of the other RFAs that aren’t re-signed yet all on one-way deals, there’s likely going to be a couple guys in SA making NHL money.

Last edited:
Reactions: Celtic Note

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
hes playing in a league where players his age dont usually play yet outside of a select group of high end players. same thing happens to alex nylander because people dont really know how to judge non elite prospects in the ahl under 20.

Some gigantic differences between Nylander and Kostin. First being Nylander was much more effective in his second season then Kostin was. Give me 27 points in 54 games
over 24 points in 66. Second off Nylander actually has played decent defense and not taken stupid penalties in the process. Also Nylanders second year was a step up in development just from his defensive game, Kostins was a step down.

He has shown no ability to score like a top 6 forward, nor defend like a bottom 6 forward. So what is his upside, exactly?

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Some gigantic differences between Nylander and Kostin. First being Nylander was much more effective in his second season then Kostin was. Give me 27 points in 54 games
over 24 points in 66. Second off Nylander actually has played decent defense and not taken stupid penalties in the process. Also Nylanders second year was a step up in development just from his defensive game, Kostins was a step down.

He has shown no ability to score like a top 6 forward, nor defend like a bottom 6 forward. So what is his upside, exactly?

i didnt say they were the same player, i said its the same situations where they get underrated due to playing in a league they maybe shouldnt be in yet.

also not sure why kostin being on a bad team isnt taken into consideration like it is for husso. kostin was 7th in team scoring vs nylander at ten.

he was the 5th most productive forward on his team in a mens league at 18 and 19.

you voted for mikkola who at 23 had 9 points. what does he project to be? hes good defensively and can skate but nhl dmen need to have a bit of offense. so a #6 shutdown dman is basically his ceiling then.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
i didnt say they were the same player, i said its the same situations where they get underrated due to playing in a league they maybe shouldnt be in yet.

also not sure why kostin being on a bad team isnt taken into consideration like it is for husso. kostin was 7th in team scoring vs nylander at ten.

he was the 5th most productive forward on his team in a mens league at 18 and 19.

you voted for mikkola who at 23 had 9 points. what does he project to be? hes good defensively and can skate but nhl dmen need to have a bit of offense. so a #6 shutdown dman is basically his ceiling then.
Why do you assume that Kostin will improve his game but that Mikkola won't?

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
i didnt say he wouldnt, but theres a big difference between at 19 year old and a 23 year old in terms of how far along in their development they are
Defensemen tend to develop slower than forwards. This was Mikkola's first year in NA and he was adjusting to game on smaller ice. He put up 2 goals and 5 points in 10 games at WC, suggesting he has untapped offensive potential. I can do this too.

Look, I'm not saying Mikkola is next Chris Pronger, but I find it interesting how many folks here judge some of our prospects by their theoretical ceiling while seem to assume others (typically those who were drafted lower) have already maxed out their potential.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Defensemen tend to develop slower than forwards. This was Mikkola's first year in NA and he was adjusting to game on smaller ice. He put up 2 goals and 5 points in 10 games at WC, suggesting he has untapped offensive potential. I can do this too.

Look, I'm not saying Mikkola is next Chris Pronger, but I find it interesting how many folks here judge some of our prospects by their theoretical ceiling while seem to assume others (typically those who were drafted lower) have already maxed out their potential.

not really the same thing, finland killed the other teams. even lindbohm had 3 points (2 goals) on that team.

klim kostin captained russia and had 6 in 7 and was a GPG the year before.

international tournaments are pretty horrible for judging prospects future (william nylander had 18 points in 8 games at the same tournament while malkin had 6 in 10)

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
not really the same thing, finland killed the other teams. even lindbohm had 3 points (2 goals) on that team.

klim kostin captained russia and had 6 in 7 and was a GPG the year before.

international tournaments are pretty horrible for judging prospects future (william nylander had 18 points in 8 games at the same tournament while malkin had 6 in 10)
You seem confused. Mikkola did this in 2019 at WC not just WJC like Kostin. Mikkola was playing against adults (including many NHLers), not kids. Kostin had mixed bag playing against other teenagers on loaded Russian WJC team. Mikkola’s performance was far more impressive.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
You seem confused. Mikkola did this in 2019 at WC not just WJC like Kostin. Mikkola was playing against adults (including many NHLers), not kids. Kostin had mixed bag playing against other teenagers on loaded Russian WJC team. Mikkola’s performance was far more impressive.

nylander and malkin arent 19 so its pretty obvious i was aware of what you meant

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
nylander and malkin arent 19 so its pretty obvious i was aware of what you meant
Then it makes even less sense you would holdup Klim’s junior numbers as equivalent. But proves my point that folks see what they want in prospects.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Then it makes even less sense you would holdup Klim’s junior numbers as equivalent. But proves my point that folks see what they want in prospects.

it makes sense if you include the entire post where i say international tournaments are pretty bad for judging prospects?

but i guess just read what you want to read and argue against something that isnt being said

converseman54

Apr 13, 2017
STL
I suggested that years ago. Not happening
Maybe they didn't access to the powerful sorting tools that are available today. I went ahead and did the hard work for them:

ascending by FIRST_NAME:

FIRST_NAMELAST_NAME
Alexei Toropchenko
Colten Ellis
Erik Foley
Evan Fitzpatrick
Evan Polei
Hugh McGing
Jake Walman
Joel Hofer
Keean Washkurak
Klim Kostin