Who is the 2nd best player currently?

Who is the second best player in the NHL?

• Total voters

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I dont get this love affair with Mackinnon since the pre season playoffs...This should be Kucherov.

Mack contributes to a higher percentage of his teams goals, and just outscored Kucherov while every other member of the Avs top 6 missed 10+ games with injuries. He also outscored 2nd place on the Avs by 43 points.

Kucherov, on the other hand, has scored 24 more points (-2 g, +26 a) since 2017-18, but his team also has 103 more goals over that stretch, which is a big reason why he has 26 more assists. And, even in his 128 point season, he only outscored 2nd place by 30 points (and 3rd by 36 points).

So, other than having more assists as a function of playing on a better team, why should this be Kucherov?

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
I don't speak for everyone, but I don't think a pure offensive winger that adds little else like Kucherov is a top 5 player, regardless of how good he is offensively. You could make a similar argument for Draisaitl, but I think he has the better argument because he plays center, he at least attempts to play better defense and be more of an all around player, and I also think that some of his poor defensive stats are due to the team he plays for.
Man I don't even know where to start with how wrong this is.

Let's go bit by bit.
I don't speak for everyone
Good, your opinions are clearly not very well informed

I don't think a pure offensive winger that adds little else like Kucherov
In the context of elite offensive players (i.e the Mack's, Drais, Mcdavid's, Kanes of the world), Kucherov is one of the better defensive players. Now, he is NOT a Selke candidate. BUT, he has put up average to slightly positive defensive numbers most of his years in the league (2018-19 being his only really negative season in this regard), and in 2019-20 was actually a decently positive player in his own zone. Watching him play makes that even more evident. Among Art Ross contenders, that is actually pretty damn good.

top 5 player
Kane, Ovi, McDavid, Drai, and in his early years, Crosby (who has gotten way better as he aged), were/are all considered top-5 players despite being clearly apathetic in their own zones. Not only are they "bad" on D, but Kane, Drai, McDavid, and Ovi to this day openly sell out their defensive game in order to produce on offense. Now, offense is obviously more important, so someone like McDavid can still be the best in the league while being bottom 25% on defense. But your argument already falls flat unless you don't consider any of those players to have been top 5 players.

You could make a similar argument for Draisaitl
You could make a much better argument on that for Drai, given the stats and eye test clearly back it up.

but I think he has the better argument because he plays center
This tired argument isn't even worth my time

he at least attempts to play better defense and be more of an all around player
He absolutely does not, and you know it. Both he and McDavid cherry-pick and sell out for flashy steals and plays instead of playing a responsible game.

and I also think that some of his poor defensive stats are due to the team he plays for
When will this argument die. The oilers were NOT a "terrible" defensive team last year, at least not to the extent that people like to parrot falsely. Last year, in all situations, the oilers were 15th/31 in GA/GP. For reference, Tampa was 8th. Even at 5v5, the oilers were around ~20th in GA/GP. Worse, but still not terrible, and better than a team like the Leafs.

The hockey world would be better off if more fans used actual data when they make their opinions, rather than nebulous feelings and narratives that don't hold up under scrutiny

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
What does the playoffs have to do with who plays better hockey?

Who would be #1 over McDavid?

A top 2 player in the NHL should make the playoffs at least once in 5 years ? Maybe we judge differently, but if someone is on a perennial lottery team, he can't be considered a top 2 player in the league imo.

Mack,Kuch,Drai have all made an argument as the #1. Production wise they've all been on par with McDavid for the last couple years. Obviously McDavid has the upside, but in present day I don't think he's the clear cut #1 in the league.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Drai is way better than McDavid that it's not even close? Really? Some of these opinions on here are ridiculous. And why is Pastrnak even an option? What has he ever done to even be in this conversation?
Lead the league in goals and score at a 100+ pt pace for two seasons now?

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Lead the league in goals and score at a 100+ pt pace for two seasons now?

There are 2 types of hockey fans. Those that watch the stat sheet, and those that watch the game. Go watch all 7 games of the 2019 SCF against St. Louis. You won't find Pastrnak anywhere.

Reactions: GOALOFSSON

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
There are 2 types of hockey fans. Those that watch the stat sheet, and those that watch the game. Go watch all 7 games of the 2019 SCF against St. Louis. You won't find Pastrnak anywhere.
Probably from playing with a injured wrist the entire playoffs :laugh:

In 2008 Malkin had 3 pts in the finals against Detroit and was pretty useless and in 2009 Crosby had 3pts in 7 games and was completely shutdown. Im assuming theyre just good players to stat watchers too? They didnt even have injuries...

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
A top 2 player in the NHL should make the playoffs at least once in 5 years ? Maybe we judge differently, but if someone is on a perennial lottery team, he can't be considered a top 2 player in the league imo.

Mack,Kuch,Drai have all made an argument as the #1. Production wise they've all been on par with McDavid for the last couple years. Obviously McDavid has the upside, but in present day I don't think he's the clear cut #1 in the league.

And the best player in the world should've played more than 17 playoff games in his first three seasons. His team should've also advanced past the play-in round last year, but guess what? You can lead the play-in round in points, and still not make it to the next round. It's a team game. It doesn't always work in a way where the best players play for the best teams.

MacKinnon and Kucherov play on two of the best teams in the league. Draisaitl's been close to or as good as McDavid for two seasons. I don't think that means you disregard the prior seasons where Draisaitl was clearly not at that level.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

There's a 3rd type of hockey fan. One who judges a player based on an incredibly small sample size of games.

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
How does it not make sense ? He's been in the league for what 5 years, and hasn't even come close to making the playoffs. Not to mention how much better Dra, Mack and Kuch have been. Top 10 he has a case, top 2 absolutely not.

How does it make sense? Making the playoffs has nothing to do with the player in 99% of cases and even then you still probably need a capable team.

Have you seen our roster the last 5 years?

They haven't been that much better and I'd say he has more than a case for top 10. Don't worry though, you'll find out this season.

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland

There is your problem, judge the player and not his team.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
There's a 3rd type of hockey fan. One who judges a player based on an incredibly small sample size of games.

You count 7 games. And I counted 115 minutes of playing time. How long does it take you to notice the "2nd best player in the world?" Definitely shouldn't take you 7 games.

Last edited:

Kaner9

Nov 10, 2019
NJ
Its pretty close so I took Kuch to make the results a lil closer. Its a real tossup though

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Probably from playing with a injured wrist the entire playoffs :laugh:

In 2008 Malkin had 3 pts in the finals against Detroit and was pretty useless and in 2009 Crosby had 3pts in 7 games and was completely shutdown. Im assuming theyre just good players to stat watchers too? They didnt even have injuries...

Ah, the "this guy hand an injured wrist during the SCFs" argument. It's the Finals. Everyone is dealing with something.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Is Pettersson turning into one of the most overrated player in the league? Career high 66 points, 2nd best player in the league?
In 68 games. Just led the league in WAR at 21 years old with the body of an 8-year-old.

When he fills out, he's gonna be like this oversized Datsyuk created in a lab.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
In 68 games. Just led the league in WAR at 21 years old with the body of an 8-year-old.

When he fills out, he's gonna be like this oversized Datsyuk created in a lab.
Lmao are you being serious? You think this is baseball or something?

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Using 7 games to define his rank is ridiculous. Every great player has had a bad series.

He’s not #2, but he’s elite no question.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad