Who is the #2 goalie?

Who is the number 2 goalie

• UPL

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Comrie

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Levi

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • We carry three and there is no real number 2.

Votes: 10 28.6%

• Total voters

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Seems like a given Devon Levi is the starter on opening night.

I don't want to judge anything on one night, but UPL just looks like the same old goalie — a prospect who will never live up to his junior billing. He is absolutely a horror show on breakaways, and we could lose some points with him in shoutouts. Key points. Everyone will point to his record last year.

I'm not exactly a fan of Comrie, but he's got the edge, and I would hate even to risk him going through waivers, but his salary makes a claim unlikely.

It feels like a three-headed goalie monster coming. That doesn't feel like an answer, either.

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
I don't like the options we have. I voted Comrie with the thought that UPL will be easier to send down to Roch... But I'll also admit that I have no idea if we can send him down.

I would ship out UPL in a heartbeat for a quality veteran backup - if such a thing were available. I think we've seen who he is. He might thrive in a tight defensive system, but not on this team.

Reactions: BuffaloMango

BuffaloMango

Mar 14, 2023
I don't like the options we have. I voted Comrie with the thought that UPL will be easier to send down to Roch... But I'll also admit that I have no idea if we can send him down.

I would ship out UPL in a heartbeat for a quality veteran backup - if such a thing were available. I think we've seen who he is. He might thrive in a tight defensive system, but not on this team.

My quick thought (hope?) is that we are keeping VO until we see how the prospects fair through camp and/or Quinn comes back and healthy. At that point some combination of VO, UPL, prospect nets a real back up.

That is my hope.

Otherwise it feels like we are kinda sorta rolling it back, which I find terrifying.

Reactions: allsilverdreams

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

Makes less. UPL more likely to get claimed. People will think they have the magic UPL cure.

Reactions: Jacob582

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
It's about cap hit too. A team like Tampa Bay needs a goalie making under $1M.

That's what I meant by makes less. At $1 M, you can also ship a guy out and have no concerns if experiment fails other than money. He's actually $837,500. I wonder what we could squeeze from Tampa for him

Reactions: Jacob582

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
My quick thought (hope?) is that we are keeping VO until we see how the prospects fair through camp and/or Quinn comes back and healthy. At that point some combination of VO, UPL, prospect nets a real back up.

That is my hope.

Otherwise it feels like we are kinda sorta rolling it back, which I find terrifying.

You retain on VO and you'd get way more value but Pegula has to play ball with money. VO at $2.85 M, UPL and say Isek Rosen might even get you someone decent with an extra year of term.

UPL has peeked.
He's not getting any better. He is an AHL goalie at best.
Time to move on.

Could be 100 NHL games and back to Europe.

Reactions: BuffaloMango

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
UPL has peeked.
He's not getting any better. He is an AHL goalie at best.
Time to move on.
UPL only has 4 pro seasons under his belt. The first two were wasted from a development pov.

-Season 1 was spent rehabbing from double hip surgery (23gms in ECHL/10gms in AHL)
-Season 2 was spent in 3 different leagues due to Covid where he had small samples in each of them (Liiga-13gms/AHL-14gms/NHL-4gms). Plus two of those leagues (AHL/NHL) were not even real versions of those leagues.

It wasn't until his 3rd and 4th pro seasons that he's had stability and a chance to develop his game. He was ok his first full AHL season (.900sv%). Hardly played there the following year. It's been mixed results in the NHL. On the one hand, he played well in Dec/Jan, won rookie of the month and got us back into the playoff race. On the other hand, he was terrible right after that for two months.

I don't know how will ultimately play out for him. But it's pretty ridiculous to assert he's peaked.

Last edited:
Reactions: VaporTrail and Irie

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
UPL only has 4 pro seasons under his belt. The first two were wasted from a development pov.

-Season 1 was spent rehabbing from double hip surgery (23gms in ECHL/10gms in AHL)
-Season 2 was spent in 3 different leagues due to Covid where he had small samples in each of them (Liiga-13gms/AHL-14gms/NHL-4gms). Plus two of those leagues (AHL/NHL) were not even real versions of those leagues.

It wasn't until his 3rd and 4th pro seasons that he's had stability and a chance to develop his game. He ok his first full AHL season (.900sv%). Hardly played there the following year. It's been mixed results in the NHL. On one hand, he played well in Dec/Jan, won rookie of the month and got us back into the playoff race. On the other hand he was terrible right after that for two months.

I don't know how will ultimately play out for him. But it's pretty ridiculous to assert he's peaked.

No no. 6K peaked in Sudbury :p

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
I am a fan of the Montreal Canadiens but above all a fan of hockey, of the construction of NHL teams. When I watch Buffalo, I am very impressed with their offensive players and prospects. The defense is also solid. However, in front of the net, it's very weak
. When the 2 best prospects in the nets are a 6' goalie (Levi) and the other 6'1" (Ratzlaff)...Imagine ASKAROV in The net? A trade with one of the good prospect + draft choice?

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
Comrie got off to a good start last year and then got hurt. If I had to make the call today on who # 2 is it's him.
I think we're carrying the three of them until or if someone panics and want's to overpay.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I’ll say what I say every time this comes up. Comrie has at least shown he can play good at the AHL and NHL level. UPL has not. If I’m rolling with Levi as the 1…I don’t have time to develop a guy who has shown nothing as the 2.

But they should have gotten a better option in the last four damned years than Comrie or UPL.

Reactions: Fjordy

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I vote for trade for helly last minute then I'll sit back and watch the backlash it causes for the next extra month, because summer can never last long enough in New York amiright?

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
I don't have a ton of nuanced goalie analysis for you but from the games I watched last year I felt like Comrie gave us a better chance to win than UPL.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: