Prospect Info: Who is the #13 Ranked Blues Prospect?

Who is the #13 Ranked Blues Prospect?

• Tanner Kaspick

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • David Noel

• Joel Hofer

• Trenton Bourque

• Mitch Reinke

• Austin Poganski

• Mathias Laferriere

• Nikolaj Krag

• Filip Helt

• Anton Andersson

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I was very unhappy with the decision to select Perunovich in the second round. I thought it was way too early in the draft to go that degree of "boom- bust". There were safer options still available, that I thought had ceilings that were just as high. I will be very surprised if he plays in the NHL at all. Still, what's done is done, and he is now a Blues prospect so I'm rooting for him. I will very gladly eat crow.

Reactions: shpongle falls

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
All the players left are crapshoots now. Perunovich, Stevens, Toropchenko, Binnington, Musil. Any of them could become a regular NHL player eventually, and all could bust, too. I voted for Perunovich, but don't have much faith. I hope he gets a growth spurt, and also works on his skating.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
Between Stevens and Perunovich for me.

The real wildcard in this range IMO is Reinke. I’ve seen very little of him. There was the 1 NHL game he was thrust into but Mich Tech is hardly ever on tv. Anyone here happen to have seen much of him?

The scouting report sounds alright but until I see how he looks in San Antonio, I’m really just guessing with Reinke.

My family line taught and went to Tech, so I follow them fairly closely, but listened to them more than watched, and I honestly don’t have the scouting savvy you and others have.

I think he’s a good depth player, and being right handed should maybe give him a bonus point or 2. I would put him in the next batch, though I have Stevens queued up next after Perunovich.

I’d list his top strengths as awareness and good hockey sense. Especially savvy with his stick defensively and using it to anticipate plays. He’s good at breaking it out, at least in the college game. He hits on some stretch passes, but I understand those won’t be as readily available in the pro game. He made decent decisions. I don’t see him being a dynamic puck carrier to take it end to end, but I think he could be a solid facilitator. I don’t think his shot will cause much fear though. He also isn’t physical, but he was flat out scrawny prior to school and has worked hard to get to the point he’s at strength wise.

Michigan Tech went into the season feeling good about forwards and unsure about their blue line, but as the season went on the blue line was clearly a strength. Reinke was very good at the start, got hurt and slowed down, but was a lot better and key as they rallied down the stretch to get to the NCAA’s.

Regardless of how Reinke in particular turns out, I am very encouraged the Blues have made a commitment to look for college free agents now.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
My family line taught and went to Tech, so I follow them fairly closely, but listened to them more than watched, and I honestly don’t have the scouting savvy you and others have.

I think he’s a good depth player, and being right handed should maybe give him a bonus point or 2. I would put him in the next batch, though I have Stevens queued up next after Perunovich.

I’d list his top strengths as awareness and good hockey sense. Especially savvy with his stick defensively and using it to anticipate plays. He’s good at breaking it out, at least in the college game. He hits on some stretch passes, but I understand those won’t be as readily available in the pro game. He made decent decisions. I don’t see him being a dynamic puck carrier to take it end to end, but I think he could be a solid facilitator. I don’t think his shot will cause much fear though. He also isn’t physical, but he was flat out scrawny prior to school and has worked hard to get to the point he’s at strength wise.

Michigan Tech went into the season feeling good about forwards and unsure about their blue line, but as the season went on the blue line was clearly a strength. Reinke was very good at the start, got hurt and slowed down, but was a lot better and key as they rallied down the stretch to get to the NCAA’s.

Regardless of how Reinke in particular turns out, I am very encouraged the Blues have made a commitment to look for college free agents now.

Thank you for this.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada

Really appreciate the insightful report! Thank you!

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box

I'm hoping so as well as far as college free agents go. I've never said that before....haha. It is a good way to fill gaps with "guys" and maybe get a 5-8 less expensive defenseman or a 3rd to "5th" line forward. Reinke is that 7-8 guy. Though we drafted him...Poganski can be that 4th-"5th" line guy with a well rounded game. Chicago has done well getting gap fillers this way and depth on their farm.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands

There were some people who had some reservations about his skating. In the 2 games I saw him play, his skating seemed adequate, or halfway decent. Do you see him being limited on the pro level due to skating/mobility issues? Honestly, I'd would have been very surprised to see him signed by The Blues and thrown into games immediately, if he'd be a plodder at The NHL level. I can't see Bill Armstrong giving the okay to sign him if that were the case. His other strengths aren't super strong to make up for that.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
There were some people who had some reservations about his skating. In the 2 games I saw him play, his skating seemed adequate, or halfway decent. Do you see him being limited on the pro level due to skating/mobility issues? Honestly, I'd would have been very surprised to see him signed by The Blues and thrown into games immediately, if he'd be a plodder at The NHL level. I can't see Bill Armstrong giving the okay to sign him if that were the case. His other strengths aren't super strong to make up for that.

My direct viewings are limited. I follow them mostly through radio listens.

I don’t think his skating is bad. From a pure speed standpoint, he isn’t a plodder but I don’t necessarily see him being someone that can chase down and recover a jail break either. I think he can keep up with the pace generally.

I have seen him do a good job of puck retrieval and eluding forechecks at his level, showing awareness and the ability for some suddenness on cuts in doing so. I’ll be interested to hear reports on that from camp, because I truly am not certain how much that translates from, say, a Lake Superior State to a professional level. I think that will be a key part of determining how he projects.

It’s not the skating in isolation that I question with Reinke. To me, it’s more about whether the skating is at a good enough level to offset the fact that he is pretty small and likely to be limited in some of the physical aspects of the game.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Third year of eligibility, actually. He was passed over in both 2016 and 2017.

I share a lot of your concerns, FWIW.
Isn't Perunovich 19? How could this be his 3rd year in the draft at 19, I thought a player wasn't draft eligible until 18?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->