Speculation: Who is really running Hockey Ops to close out the season?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Hmmm. Lets see. Who’s in charge now? Well, bringing in a complete garbage overpaid Manning screams Howson (Nikitin v2.0). Signing Koskinen for waaay too much, waaay too soon screams KLowe and MacT (Clarkson, Nylander etc). All we need to do to muddle the issue now is to bring in an over-rated former OilKing and we could add Green to the mix. Gosh! So many happy potential endings in this little Choose Your Own Adventure book.
Pretty sure we’ve already drafted/traded for way over our quota for ex Oil Kings/Edmonton guys. Griffin Reinhardt being the most notorious one of course. But not to worry. Green said at the time of that trade that he remembered Griff being a stud in junior.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
This is illuminating....

Pocklington Era 1992 - 98
Katz Era 2008 - 2016

pucksvkatz.jpg

Source article by David Staples is from 2016.....

Cult of Hockey: Why Katz era so bad? "Katz treated the Oilers like a shiny new toy."

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Little did we know on this day that it would mark the beginning of the worst ownership (from a team success perspective) in Edmonton Sports history....and the futility continues.

Quite a legacy for Daryl Katz.

katz_sweater.jpg

Reactions: MikeGrier99

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Chia was likely secretly put in the position by the nhl in order to see if he could get his stupid bosses fired but it didn't work. Never will.

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Poor drafting in the EIG era lead to this. Poor drafting contuined and we might be finally getting out of this mess since our drafting as been better as of late.

I would have to go back and look at the drafting from the EIG era.

In any event I know for sure that the Katz era had a number of opportunities since 2008 to change the fabric of this team through the draft and otherwise. They squandered any decent players they did have (ie Jeff Petry) and messed up the draft year after year after year.

One thing we know for sure....Katz and his band of cronies have failed miserably.

Last edited:

coastalview

Sep 11, 2018
i heard it was randy from red deer
running the team from the basement apartment of his parents' home
:ha:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
If you showed this to Nicholson, what would he conclude? Probably that one period had good character and the other did not.

I hear you.
Katz bought the team in 2008...almost 11 years ago. I guess it takes time to acquire character.
If you trade away enough talent then eventually you get enough character to be successful.
Its a good plan... Nicholson audited for years and thats his conclusion.
We just need to be patient. :nod:

bucktown

Oct 27, 2009
Someday there will be a "insider tells all" book about this debacle of ours....and I can't wait to read it.

I wonder who the insider will be?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Someday there will be a "insider tells all" book about this debacle of ours....and I can't wait to read it.

I wonder who the insider will be?

I dont know but it will be a very sad read.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
If you showed this to Nicholson, what would he conclude? Probably that one period had good character and the other did not.

Solution: Bring in the players from the Pocklington era to manage and bring character to the current players.
End audit.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Poor drafting in the EIG era lead to this. Poor drafting contuined and we might be finally getting out of this mess since our drafting as been better as of late.
EIG was what they were but how long does that excuse stay relevant? Katz bought this team 11 years ago. Even if EIG was good at drafting and development, how many of those players would still be in the league today? I don’t see the point anymore of bringing those guys up. They’ve got nothing to do with what the issues of this team are today.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Unrelated question: what round was the draft pick that was give up for Tmac?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad