Who is part of the core of this Sens group?

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Just because they are not core doesn't mean they aren't part of the team they are, it's just at their age at some point we have to start thinking about the position & potentially upgrading if or when required. Brady turns 25, but will be 25 for another full yr. Zub is valuable, but he is also 28, if JBD who is 23 continues to improve by the time he is 25/26 could pass him or if they draft a decent RD I would hope would have the potential to pass him too in a few yrs. That doesn't mean we trade Zub, it means he drops a spot if he gets passed. Surround the core with good vets & have a place for young players to have a path forward to reach their potential.
I agree with the sentiment.

If you look at rosters that win, the oldest core players tend to be maybe 31-32 at most, and most of the core is in their 20s. Vegas’ core was a bit older than is typical though.

But if you generally go by that, a lot of these guys will have to get phased out or moved down the line-up in the next few years. Don’t think we’re seriously competing before then anyway.

Staios really has his work cut out for him, particularly on the defensive side of things. I think the only solid/permanent piece we have right now is Sanderson, although you hope JBD and/or Kleven can solidify themselves. I don’t really see JBD ever being more than bottom pairing though.

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I agree with the sentiment.

If you look at rosters that win, the oldest core players tend to be maybe 31-32 at most, and most of the core is in their 20s. Vegas’ core was a bit older than is typical though.

But if you generally go by that, a lot of these guys will have to get phased out or moved down the line-up in the next few years. Don’t think we’re seriously competing before then anyway.

Staios really has his work cut out for him, particularly on the defensive side of things. I think the only solid/permanent piece we have right now is Sanderson, although you hope JBD and/or Kleven can solidify themselves.
Not sure what you mean Tkachuk & Batherson are turning 25, but could still be on the team until their contracts end, they will be UFA & the decision to stay or go would be up to them. The core IMO is 25 & the team you build towards the future & the vets you want on the team are over 25 to surround the young players.

In the past number of yrs we were going out to bring vets in, but as our core ages they may not need to move on from them unless they price themselves out which is possible given how much they already make. Tkachuk & Batherson are entering their prime & by this time next yr should be considered in their prime & within a few yrs wil become vets. How many yrs in the league before considered a vet - 5 to 7 yrs? Sanderson started playing in the NHL at 20 yrs old by the time he is 25 yrs old could we consider him a vet with 5 yrs experience? I look at the core as the young players who will be here as long as we can sign them for because we consider them the most important players on the roster. Older players who contribute like Giroux are great, but we have to start thinking about replacing him, same for Chabot & Zub although they could still play for a few more yrs but we have to start considering it.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Not sure what you mean Tkachuk & Batherson are turning 25, but could still be on the team until their contracts end, they will be UFA & the decision to stay or go would be up to them. The core IMO is 25 & the team you build towards the future & the vets you want on the team are over 25 to surround the young players.

In the past number of yrs we were going out to bring vets in, but as our core ages they may not need to move on from them unless they price themselves out which is possible given how much they already make. Tkachuk & Batherson are entering their prime & by this time next yr should be considered in their prime & within a few yrs wil become vets. How many yrs in the league before considered a vet - 5 to 7 yrs? Sanderson started playing in the NHL at 20 yrs old by the time he is 25 yrs old could we consider him a vet with 5 yrs experience? I look at the core as the young players who will be here as long as we can sign them for because we consider them the most important players on the roster. Older players who contribute like Giroux are great, but we have to start thinking about replacing him, same for Chabot & Zub although they could still play for a few more yrs but we have to start considering it.
Yeah I wasn’t talking about Brady, who is obviously here for the long haul unless he decides to leave. Wasn’t really talking about Batherson either but with him I think a lot will depend on how consistent he is over the next few years and how far his defensive game comes. Scoring wingers that don’t play well in their own end tend to be replaceable unless they’re producing crazy amounts. At 29 he’d be tough to re-sign if he’s not more complete, been great lately though.

I was more or less agreeing that guys like Joseph, Zub, Chabot etc will have to be replaced or in some cases moved down the line-up, or we’ll find ourselves with too many declining players in our window.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
over 25 yrs old is too old to be core players IMO (Giroux, Joseph, Zub, Chabot, Chychrun)
I can't get behind that, by that logic, McDavid wouldn't be part of the core.

To me, core is about how much longer you expect them to be around. If we had a 26 year old generational talent, we'd want to build around that not say they're too old.

Now that said, each of the guys you mentioned, I can see an argument for moving on from, it's just the rationale I take issue with.

Reactions: Xspyrit

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I can't get behind that, by that logic, McDavid wouldn't be part of the core.

To me, core is about how much longer you expect them to be around. If we had a 26 year old generational talent, we'd want to build around that not say they're too old.

Now that said, each of the guys you mentioned, I can see an argument for moving on from, it's just the rationale I take issue with.
I say this in jest because he was actually 27, had major surgery, and other obvious factors, but we did trade the last one and said he was too old, along with a group of 26/27/28 year olds.

Crazy that some of this "core" is approaching that age already.

K1900L

Dec 27, 2019
The core is usually made up of players who have the ability to grow and learn together while influencing the outcome of the game.

To me there are only three players currently who check all the boxes:
Tkachuk, Stützle, Sanderson.
Then there are guys who I would definitely want to keep long term, but who do not have as much impact:
Greig, Pinto.
______________________________________________________________________________________________
Batherson, Zub and Joseph are players that I would want to keep at least short term, as long as they don't represent a burden on the cap.

Giroux can't be considered part of the core as he is 10+ years older. It's great to have him around, but a performance drop or even retirement are just around the corner. He doesn't check the 'learn and grow together'-box.

Norris' health would also not put him into this category for me. He had one season where he was playing up to this standard. Sadly, they gave him a contract for doing so. Trading him this offseason would definitely be seen as unsportsmanlike and bad character, they won't do it. But I don't see him contributing in foreseeable future. I could imagine that they would want to move him next year.

Chabot is closest to fitting into this tier of players if he is playing up to his standard (rarely ever). I don't see them trading him to be honest (he was in the discussion to be the captain just two years ago). But if I had to move one of the 'big pieces', he would be right there with Chychrun and Norris.

In my opinion, everyone not mentioned could be traded right away.
Everyone mentioned but below the line could be traded if the profit was right.
The players above the line are those that I would like to see long term.

Reactions: DrEasy and Xspyrit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad