Speculation: Who is our goalie next year?

ennsjd07

Feb 11, 2016
Kauai, Hawaii
If we'd like to go with the unproven "youngster", let's go with UPL or Swayman, find someone who will start at a low salary to prove himself. Hill just won a Stanley Cup. He might have harnessed lightning in a bottle for the playoffs, we watched Bobrovsky almost do that (he was only three wins short of pulling off what Hill was able to do). Let's not pay him an arm and a leg to get a goalie who "won the cup" but didn't play for most of the year. Bad idea.
UPL looked pretty bad with Buffalo, but I think most people would look pretty bad considering that Buffalo has approximately 2.5 good defensemen, and that's when they're not exhausted from playing 35 mins a night (I might have watched too many Sabres games this year, my wife is from Buffalo).
Swayman was less good, more "I'm on a great team, look at me." He reminds me of Eric Comrie. Can't quite lock it in, except for the random game where he'll goalie one team.

If we want to try playing with "experienced" goalies, Idk. I'm not a fan of a "proven" goalie. We already have that, and we're letting him walk away (or shipping him out). If we had to pick a "proven" goalie, let's not trade away all the backup. It seems like there's been a running theme of "get the good goalie,"... but I've watched countless teams (Toronto, Ottowa, Edmonton, Carolina, Florida, Anaheim, Boston, Calgary, Colorado, and Minnesota) do that recently and get burned. They overpay for someone who almost did great the previous 4-5 years, and then it blows up in their faces.

That's just my two cents.
Thanks!

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
A good Western Canadian boy who wants to be here. One with grit and toughness. :)
Ron Hextall is retired...:sarcasm:

goalie-fights.jpg

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
If we'd like to go with the unproven "youngster", let's go with UPL or Swayman, find someone who will start at a low salary to prove himself. Hill just won a Stanley Cup. He might have harnessed lightning in a bottle for the playoffs, we watched Bobrovsky almost do that (he was only three wins short of pulling off what Hill was able to do). Let's not pay him an arm and a leg to get a goalie who "won the cup" but didn't play for most of the year. Bad idea.
UPL looked pretty bad with Buffalo, but I think most people would look pretty bad considering that Buffalo has approximately 2.5 good defensemen, and that's when they're not exhausted from playing 35 mins a night (I might have watched too many Sabres games this year, my wife is from Buffalo).
Swayman was less good, more "I'm on a great team, look at me." He reminds me of Eric Comrie. Can't quite lock it in, except for the random game where he'll goalie one team.

If we want to try playing with "experienced" goalies, Idk. I'm not a fan of a "proven" goalie. We already have that, and we're letting him walk away (or shipping him out). If we had to pick a "proven" goalie, let's not trade away all the backup. It seems like there's been a running theme of "get the good goalie,"... but I've watched countless teams (Toronto, Ottowa, Edmonton, Carolina, Florida, Anaheim, Boston, Calgary, Colorado, and Minnesota) do that recently and get burned. They overpay for someone who almost did great the previous 4-5 years, and then it blows up in their faces.

That's just my two cents.
Thanks!
UPL is a big goalie and I can see why scouts like him, but there's nothing in his track record to suggest he'll ever be even a decent backup. He's an .895 career goalie in the AHL...not a good bet.

Just to compare, Comrie at the same age at UPL is now, had a career .912 in the AHL (and had faced nearly 6000 shots there - UPL hasn't even faced 2000 in AHL).

Never say never, but...never. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad