Speculation: Who Is on the Block on Your Team, and Who Do You Want on There?

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
As a Shark fan I'd have an interest in ( from those listed above) Armia from the Habs and Kapanan from the Leafs.
Not listed ^I like to see Kozack from the Knights

I love to find a way to rid of EK65 and Vlasic contracts

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Blues:

Tyler Bozak
Jake Allen
Carl Gunnarsson

All for cap purposes really. Any could be had for a mid round pick or prospect.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Marc Staal and to a lesser extent Brendan Smith. Rangers would basically be looking to swap one or the other for a bottom 6 forward who has the same one year term on a bad contract. Rangers have a glut at D and maybe someone has a good 4th liner who’d prefer a 3rd pairing D. NYR or other team would likely retain to keep cap hits the same.

Lundqvist gets bought out or traded at 50% or Georgiev gets moved - likely at the draft for a late 2nd.

I could see Buchnevich moved. I’ve always had the impression that the Rangers like, but don’t love. I could see him dealt for a middle six winger with some snarl to his game. The trade off being that the guy produces less offensively than Buch.

Unrealistically NYR could use a 1LD or 2C, but so do half the teams in the league. Realistically I think they go after that guy with snark to his game that wouldn’t look out of place in a top 6.

Georgiev plus for Kapanen would be interesting. Georgiev can be a 1B goalie so they’d be doing the tandem deal or maybe they roll the dice and make Georgiev their guy saving cap space - maybe secure a vet backup. I just don’t know how big that plus needs to be. I’m guessing pretty significant. Georgiev and a 1st seems like too much, but Georgiev and a 3rd (NYR has no 2nd this year) seems awfully low. It might be tough to find a consensus on this one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Czarchuk

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I'd love Kapanen. Would love for the Flames to grab him, would try and trade Bennett+ for him. Doesn't really work well for Toronto though if their intention is cap savings. They'd save only 700k.
We would be looking for a RHD in any trade though we do like Bennet. If it was because of a lower Cap (which I doubt) then I guess we want picks and/or an ECL RHD?

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Marc Staal and to a lesser extent Brendan Smith. Rangers would basically be looking to swap one or the other for a bottom 6 forward who has the same one year term on a bad contract. Rangers have a glut at D and maybe someone has a good 4th liner who’d prefer a 3rd pairing D. NYR or other team would likely retain to keep cap hits the same.

Lundqvist gets bought out or traded at 50% or Georgiev gets moved - likely at the draft for a late 2nd.

I could see Buchnevich moved. I’ve always had the impression that the Rangers like, but don’t love. I could see him dealt for a middle six winger with some snarl to his game. The trade off being that the guy produces less offensively than Buch.

Unrealistically NYR could use a 1LD or 2C, but so do half the teams in the league. Realistically I think they go after that guy with snark to his game that wouldn’t look out of place in a top 6.

Georgiev plus for Kapanen would be interesting. Georgiev can be a 1B goalie so they’d be doing the tandem deal or maybe they roll the dice and make Georgiev their guy saving cap space - maybe secure a vet backup. I just don’t know how big that plus needs to be. I’m guessing pretty significant. Georgiev and a 1st seems like too much, but Georgiev and a 3rd (NYR has no 2nd this year) seems awfully low. It might be tough to find a consensus on this one.
We solved our back up problem (Campbell) and I would be shocked if he hadn't won 99.99% of us over already, he's been great for us.

Freddy has one more year so unless you take him back (which makes no sense) we don't have a goalie trade.

We truly need nothing but RHD or bottom 6 C's that are defensively strong. If it's a move because the cap dropped then maybe picks and prospects in those positions.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
We solved our back up problem (Campbell) and I would be shocked if he hadn't won 99.99% of us over already, he's been great for us.

Freddy has one more year so unless you take him back (which makes no sense) we don't have a goalie trade.

We truly need nothing but RHD or bottom 6 C's that are defensively strong. If it's a move because the cap dropped then maybe picks and prospects in those positions.

My mistake... was thinking Freddy was a UFA after the current season. In that case, I’m not seeing a fit.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
For Colorado, Jost and Zadorov are on the block. Sakic will likely use them to recoup some picks at the draft.

A guy to keep an eye on to go to Colorado is Josh Anderson. Bednar loves him. When asked about him in an interview once he started gushing over him. They won a Calder Cup together. There’s a long history of Colorado grabbing ex-Jackets. Avs always tend to get their guy and they were in on him at the deadline.

Reactions: Perratrooper

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
:sens

No one left...

I kinda disagree

I think at some point next season (or before), at least one of Anisimov/Tierney will be dealt.

Anisimov had a better-than-expected season with the Sens; he missed time to injury, but managed15 goals and 20 points in 49 games (25g 33pt pace) while playing 13:51 per game - mostly 4th line + PP. He was pretty good on the PP, considering how bad our powerplay generally was. I think the Sens will try to move him for a 3rd or 4th, but probably won't be able to until the deadline (and he will need to have a good season, too).

Tierney regressed slightly, with 37pts in 71 games; he did improve his goal totals (from 9 to 11), though, and had a far better +/-. He scored at a 42 pt pace, which is about what you can expect from him. He scored almost exclusively at even strength (6g, 30pts) and short handed (4g, 5pts). He is a good PKer and plays a reliable, efficient game. I think the Sens would move him for a 2nd +; an asset that doesnt need expansion protection, ideally.

I wouldnt say those guys are on the block, though... just that they would be available under the right circumstances.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Possible pick + near NHL ready power forward prospect is what I'd want.

I would do a 2nd plus prospect. Ottawa doesnt really have a nhl ready power forward prospect.

Ottawa does need a veteran RD especially since im afraid they would resign Hainsey. At the same time im not sure what level of prospect I would trade since Demers contract is expiring.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I think any 1 of our 3rd liners is available.

AJ-Kerfoot-Kappy

Kappy probably has the highest value and is also in our position of strength (RW) so he is my best guess.

Ceci and Barrie's rights would be available.

Beyond that you are looking at Marlies (don't make me Bracco you!).

Why would Ceci's rights have any interest??? LOL

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
On the block for the Habs would be:

Lehkonen
Byron
Petry
Tatar
Weal
Kulak

Juulsen
Ikonen

If you are drunk, Alzner is avaiable.

Needs, a 1st/2nd pairing puckmoving offensive LHD, preferably younger than 30.

Ishtabeat

Mar 19, 2020
Rangers

Buchnevich, Strome, Howden, Georgiev all available. DeAngelo/Lundkvist could be had for the right piece

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
From the Oilers Kris Russell is available. Decent player, just redundant. Salary vs cap hit should make him somewhat attractive as a depth D. Jesse Puljujarvi is obviously available. Pick or prospect needed. That’s about it unless your GM is on crack and wants James Neal.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I would do a 2nd plus prospect. Ottawa doesnt really have a nhl ready power forward prospect.

Ottawa does need a veteran RD especially since im afraid they would resign Hainsey. At the same time im not sure what level of prospect I would trade since Demers contract is expiring.
Yea I mean that’s why I left some things open to interpretation. Doesn’t have to be a ready prospect but a year or 2 away. Also doesn't have to be a high end one. Just looking for someone that can play hockey well and tries to physically dominate the opposition. 2nd to 3rd line potential is fine, as are 4th and 5th rounders based on potential.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Because he's easily the worst RD on our team & signed for 8 mill per year for the next 6 seasons
Trouba is not a 1 but if you are pairing him with Brandon Smith for top D assignments(post trade deadline) you are setting him up to fail.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I see some suggesting that the Rangers have some of our better players like DeAngelo, Buchnevich, Trouba, Strome on the trade block, but I highly doubt any are.

The trade block is not the same thing as players you’d be willing to trade in a hockey deal to make your team better.

I think the team has probably 3-4 players who are not realistically available (players such as Shestyorkin, Fox, Panarin, Zibanejad).

There’s also a category of players who are available but have negative value (Staal, Smith, Lundqvist). The team simply wouldn’t be able to trade them without retaining due to their contracts. There are also players who could be available but don’t yet have or don’t have the type of value in a trade to consider them individually anything other than extremely unlikely to be traded (youngsters like Chytil, Lindgren Kakko, Howden, Georgiyev, Lemieux, Gauthier, or lower tier veterans like Fast, McKegg, Di Giuseppe).

That makes players such as DeAngelo, Buchnevich, Strome, Trouba the most likely to be traded from an individual percentage standpoint, if we make a trade. They have real value. That’s simple to figure out. That doesn’t mean any will be traded. The team is in no position where it has to trade any of these players, and there are more lower tier players who are lower percentage options to be traded individually, but might collectively equal the same likelihood to be traded, and make up the players that get traded, if anyone does.

I think the answer for the Rangers here is none. There is no obvious answer.

As to who I’d like to be there, I’d only place Georgiyev. I have no issue with Lundqvist backing up Shestyorkin next season. I don’t see the positives of keeping Georgiyev. Get for him what you can. Aside from that, nobody else. I’d be willing to trade nearly anyone, but I’d only place Georgiyev on the block. I think the Rangers wasn’t too much in return for him though, so I don’t expect he gets traded.

Last edited:

Ishtabeat

Mar 19, 2020
I'd deal Miller before Lundkvist. Lundkvist has better upside in my opinion.
Miller has more upside and better tools. Lundkvist is a very, very safe bet to be a middle pairing defenseman. I think his upside is a solid 2D. Miller has upside to be a Byfuglien/Burns type. I think Miller’s defense is underrated and his offensive tools are better like his skating+size combo, along with his shot. Lundkvist is a good skater, but isn’t fast or as big as Miller. He’s a bit smarter though, but the defense is closer than it seems

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
For the blackhawks two guys who might be on the trade block would be Brendan saad and Olli Maatta.
Both aren't sure things to be moved but I think they would listen.
Dylan Strome is a wild card just depending on what he's looking for his next contract.
Drake Caggiula is a maybe also, but health is scary and his price to resign shouldn't be to much.
Doubt Andrew Shaw and Calvin De Hann would hold much value on the trade front due to injuries.
And Seabrook will be taken care of through the compliance buyout.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Zuccarello

Brad Hunt

Dubnyk (one year left on his contract)

Possibly one of Brodin or Dumba, if a good, no issues 2c with young legs or an excellent C prospect is coming back the other way. Probably better to trade Dumba once(if?) he re-establishes himself as a point producer next year though.

Parise? I was shocked that he almost went to NYI at the TDL. I'm pretty glad that the trade didn't go through, in retrospect. Ladd isn't an NHL'er at this point. Parise has slowed but still has his hands, and is still good for 25g/yr. At this point, I think that he will only be moved if Parise agitates for it. The Wild are not likely to be contenders for at least a couple of years, unless Fiala picks up next year where he left off, and Kaprizov comes over and is good for 60-70 points.

Mittelstadt as a start point for Brodin?

Depends on which coyotes fan you ask, for me the list makes up 3 categories. Underproduction, cap space and restructuring our team identity.

OEL - change of identity
Stepan - cap savings
Grabner - cap savings
Goligoski - cap savings
Demers - change of identity
Kessel - underproduction
Hinostroza - change of identity.

Need a low end 1c and some productive power forwards. Top 4 defenseman with intensity to their game.

Once our kids mature and we add the few pieces we need, we should be solid.

Assuming Fischer is available.

For Colorado, Jost and Zadorov are on the block. Sakic will likely use them to recoup some picks at the draft.

A guy to keep an eye on to go to Colorado is Josh Anderson. Bednar loves him. When asked about him in an interview once he started gushing over him. They won a Calder Cup together. There’s a long history of Colorado grabbing ex-Jackets. Avs always tend to get their guy and they were in on him at the deadline.

Interested in Bowers. Available?

Will Salic use a CBO on Johnson?

For the blackhawks two guys who might be on the trade block would be Brendan saad and Olli Maatta.
Both aren't sure things to be moved but I think they would listen.
Dylan Strome is a wild card just depending on what he's looking for his next contract.
Drake Caggiula is a maybe also, but health is scary and his price to resign shouldn't be to much.
Doubt Andrew Shaw and Calvin De Hann would hold much value on the trade front due to injuries.
And Seabrook will be taken care of through the compliance buyout.

What would Chicago want for Strome?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad