Speculation: Who Is on the Block on Your Team, and Who Do You Want on There?

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I am curious on who is on the block (either because of source or poor performance/change of scenery, other reason(s)) and also with this big pause on the season who you'd want on there?

If this thread gets popular I can definitely edit it to show everyone's input.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
Only thing I can see, besides the obvious low-end assets, is probably something like RNH/Nurse + 1st rd pick for an upgrade. A high end winger/top pairing defender would obviously be the target.

Oilers REALLY do not have the capability to move main pieces though.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
The playoffs would have given the Flames a clearer picture on a potential shake up to the core, but if we do not have hockey we might just go with it for an additional year.

Assuming Hall tests free agency, I don't doubt the Flames are going to try and go for him, so I think Bennett and Jankowski would be on the block for cap reasons. Hanifin could too if the Flames find that they would be okay with riding Giordano/Brodie/Andersson and Valimaki as a top 4 unit next season. Still a huge question mark because Valimaki was trending upward really well pre-injury.

Reactions: DirtDiver

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I’d want Tom Wilson. We don’t really have anything good on the block though. Certainly nothing that would get Washington to move him.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
:panthers

Defense:

We need a top pairing or top 4 LD.
In saying that, yes we have two overpaid LD, definitely need to move one of them.

Keith Yandle, 3 years left @ $6.35 million AAV (soft puck moving LD who scoops up a lot of PP points, needs to be sheltered 5 on 5)
Would retain a fair bit and use PK Subban as a comparable trade, two 2nd's or a 2nd and 3rd/prospect/roster player

Mike Matheson, 6 years left @ $4.875 million AAV (has all the tools with speed, skating and decent size but lacks confidence most nights, brief flashes of top 4 LD potential but seems to panic under pressure)
Was rumored to be on trade block, hard to gauge his value with so much term.
Probably a similar bloated contract coming back so don't see many takers, if at all.

Anton Stralman, 2 years left @ $5.5 million (average 2nd pairing RD but has lost a gear or two with age/injury)
Unlikely he is moved as he just signed last year but would probably need to retain and FLA would take some cap back in any deal for him,

Forwards:

Colton Sceviour, 1 year left @ $1.2 million (4th line RW, good PK and forechecker with hands of stone on offense)
May be shipped this off-season for a 4th or 5th rounder to free up some cap space and fill his spot internally

Not an exciting list but most of the appealing pieces (Barkov, Huberdeau, Ekblad, Weegar) aren't going anywhere imo.
Complimentary guys like Vatrano, Connolly, Acciari will be likely be exposed to SEA next year but need most if not all of them back next year.
Everyone else is a UFA (Hoffman, Dadonov, Haula, Boyle, Pysyk) or a young RFA.
We likely re-sign one of Dadonov/Hoffman but Haula's plan is unknown right now, Boyle and Pysyk likely walk.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
On the Rangers, I’d honestly say nobody is “on the block” Obviously a guy like Staal or Smith, if they could jettison that salary they would, but there’s no market for them and with each expiring this year, no pressing need to be creative in order to move either.

NYR fans might say things like “oh, I want Howden on the block” or “trade Trouba before his NTC kicks in” but I honestly don’t believe anyone is on the block. I believe they’d listen on most players (with exceptions like Panarin/Zib, Kaako, Fox, Shesterkin) but I don’t feel like there is anyone besides the obvious bad contracts the Rangers actively want to move. Howden, for instance is a young center who still has time to figure it out but has at least been a serviceable bottom sixer PKing at a young age.

Georgiev could ultimately end up on the block depending on how the resolve to solve the three goalie situation, but even he isn’t truly on the block so much as a decision or gameplan has to be in place for the future there.

Rangers need to let their guys mature. A veteran LD capable of top four minutes and a veteran bottom sixer who can lead and bring energy are probably the only true holes right now. The rest is just letting the kids develop.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Assuming Jets extend Dylan, they will have their Dcore rebuilt without big name #1D but that isn't required when you have a solid D core throughout the lineup playing D by committee. Dylan, Josh, Pionk and one of likely several close to NHL top 4 D defencemen (Samberg most likely the closest NHL top 4 guy).

Jets forward core is already very good, goaltending very good.

Only thing the Jets could use an upgrade on is at 2C, could use a dynamic 2C or a close to NHL ready 2C prospect. What the Jets are willing to give up varies widely on who the 2C is or what the potential the 2C prospect has. One huge benefit the Jets has is even if the cap stays the same or goes down, the Jets restructured their cap this year plus buff contract being terminated the Jets have a lot of cap space to use......maybe they take a 1-2 year cap dump along with a good 2C prospect. Jets are looking pretty solid going into next year after a one year restructure and even if the cap declines. Some of those cap teams right now are going to be hurting to dump cap space.........looking good for the Jets next year.

Reactions: Czarchuk

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Zuccarello

Brad Hunt

Dubnyk (one year left on his contract)

Possibly one of Brodin or Dumba, if a good, no issues 2c with young legs or an excellent C prospect is coming back the other way. Probably better to trade Dumba once(if?) he re-establishes himself as a point producer next year though.

Parise? I was shocked that he almost went to NYI at the TDL. I'm pretty glad that the trade didn't go through, in retrospect. Ladd isn't an NHL'er at this point. Parise has slowed but still has his hands, and is still good for 25g/yr. At this point, I think that he will only be moved if Parise agitates for it. The Wild are not likely to be contenders for at least a couple of years, unless Fiala picks up next year where he left off, and Kaprizov comes over and is good for 60-70 points.

Reactions: Czarchuk

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
Zuccarello

Brad Hunt

Dubnyk (one year left on his contract)

Possibly one of Brodin or Dumba, if a good, no issues 2c with young legs or an excellent C prospect is coming back the other way. Probably better to trade Dumba once(if?) he re-establishes himself as a point producer next year though.

Parise? I was shocked that he almost went to NYI at the TDL. I'm pretty glad that the trade didn't go through, in retrospect. Ladd isn't an NHL'er at this point. Parise has slowed but still has his hands, and is still good for 25g/yr. At this point, I think that he will only be moved if Parise agitates for it. The Wild are not likely to be contenders for at least a couple of years, unless Fiala picks up next year where he left off, and Kaprizov comes over and is good for 60-70 points.

Zuccarello who has a no trade clause isn't on trade block. Neither is parise. Due to his no trade clause. the Islanders who his dad played for was only team parise was waiving for.

What is the definition of trade block exactly? Players teams want to get rid of because of underperformance or players who can be used to get better ones?

If it's the 1st part, then one can take out brodin and Dumba also as they were being dangled for a potential 1 or 2c.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Andreas Johnsson and Kasperi Kapanen. Id prefer they moved Johnsson but depends on the return.

I'd love Kapanen. Would love for the Flames to grab him, would try and trade Bennett+ for him. Doesn't really work well for Toronto though if their intention is cap savings. They'd save only 700k.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I think any 1 of our 3rd liners is available.

AJ-Kerfoot-Kappy

Kappy probably has the highest value and is also in our position of strength (RW) so he is my best guess.

Ceci and Barrie's rights would be available.

Beyond that you are looking at Marlies (don't make me Bracco you!).

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
You would move Drouin, Domi, Gallagher and Weber before Danault? What?

Because Danault is young, and he's a good center. And we would be lowballed on him anyway, I think. He's part of the future.
It would hurt to see Gallagher go, but if the pieces are really, really good, I might do it, yeah.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Depends on which coyotes fan you ask, for me the list makes up 3 categories. Underproduction, cap space and restructuring our team identity.

OEL - change of identity
Stepan - cap savings
Grabner - cap savings
Goligoski - cap savings
Demers - change of identity
Kessel - underproduction
Hinostroza - change of identity.

Need a low end 1c and some productive power forwards. Top 4 defenseman with intensity to their game.

Once our kids mature and we add the few pieces we need, we should be solid.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Depends on which coyotes fan you ask, for me the list makes up 3 categories. Underproduction, cap space and restructuring our team identity.

OEL - change of identity
Stepan - cap savings
Grabner - cap savings
Goligoski - cap savings
Demers - change of identity
Kessel - underproduction
Hinostroza - change of identity.

Need a low end 1c and some productive power forwards. Top 4 defenseman with intensity to their game.

Once our kids mature and we add the few pieces we need, we should be solid.

what would demers cost?

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Ghost is easy name and I don't see a reason to trade for 40 cents on the dollar.

Too many c's so I can see draft day trade of Vorobyev for late pick.

JVR is fine and at 7m its not like fair market trade values are coming. I'll keep.

People were interested in Laughton at trade deadline per Friedman. I would be curious how much curious.

Reactions: Devonator

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad