Who is O'Connor and Why All the Press?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Who is this guy and why are other team forums talking about signing him?

Apparently he is an underrated goalie in college. You'd think he was the second coming of McJesus or something with all the press and attention he is getting right know.

Are the Sharks considering him? I am somewhat surprised I did not see a thread here in the Sharks forum about him since the goalie situation in San Jose is far from ideal.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
He's a good undrafted goalie prospect and he's already narrowed down the teams he'll sign with and the Sharks aren't one of them.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
He's a good undrafted goalie prospect and he's already narrowed down the teams he'll sign with and the Sharks aren't one of them.

UDFA's don't consider the Sharks unless we are the only ones calling.

This makes me sad. I know that the off-season has not really started yet, but the only thing that has happened for us so far is the firing of TMac ... :cry:

Really want to see something positive happen for our team.

pappaf2

Feb 24, 2009
Bay Area, CA
This makes me sad. I know that the off-season has not really started yet, but the only thing that has happened for us so far is the firing of TMac ... :cry:

Really want to see something positive happen for our team.

Not that he's a big name but they did sign a college goalie this year in Joel Rumple. He could be good. He was named a Hoby Baker and Richter Award finalist during the 2013-14 campaign.

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA
I have a feeling O'Connor is a bit overrated. I'd say his top end potential is an average starting goalie and I have a gut feeling he ends up a little bit lower than that

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
Only seem him a few times and he looked pretty overrated. Wouldn't even give DW any **** if he doesn't sign him. The league is flush with goaltenders right now anyways, so i wouldn't worry about it

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
Who is this guy and why are other team forums talking about signing him?

Apparently he is an underrated goalie in college. You'd think he was the second coming of McJesus or something with all the press and attention he is getting right know.

Are the Sharks considering him? I am somewhat surprised I did not see a thread here in the Sharks forum about him since the goalie situation in San Jose is far from ideal.

Google is your friend. There is so much out there about this kid...

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Google is your friend. There is so much out there about this kid...

I did, and got these from Google's first page:

Matt O'Connor is a bulldog for an Attorney. If you have an issue; and you need to win or get it resolved; with you winning "AND" looking good; Well Matt's your go to guy.

Matt O’Connor is a political activist, designer, author and entrepreneur. He is the founder and leader of the Fathers 4 Justice pressure group.

Matt O'Connor may refer to:
Matt O'Connor (activist), founder and leader of Fathers 4 Justice
Matt O'Connor (music), music producer, songwriter and A&R manager
Matt O'Connor (rugby player) (born 1971), Australian rugby player and coach

Far cry from Connor McDavid who Google's first page returns all entries about him, not some other guy.

So I ask, what's so special about Matt O'Connor and why are other team forums like the Senators talking about what the Sens do to woo this guy?

I cannot imagine an undrafted, free agent garner so much attention. After all, many more go underrated than drafted. Did he find some new talent he did not have three years ago? It's probably more that he hired an agent with a publicist.

Wasn't Melkman an UDFA?

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
You're questioning why he's so highly regarded because of the return on his google search? What?
Also, he is the first result on my search, those are others.

Hockey is not that popular, and prospects are even less popular, especially one not belonging to a team making him unknown to casual fans. The only place he gets praise are here and twitter.
He is excellent technically and is massive. That is a lot to like for a modern-day-goalie

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I remember the last over hyped undrafted player looking to sign in the nhl. Those were some fun times.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
I remember the last over hyped undrafted player looking to sign in the nhl. Those were some fun times.

I know you're refering to Schultz but more recently the Carey brothers were pretty hyped last year. Both also have had mediocre/bad starts to their professional careers.

Winky

Jun 17, 2008
Yeah, this happened with us a few years back. That big Swede goalie (Gustavsson or something like it) narrowed it down to us, Toronto, and Detroit IIRC. Pretty sure he picked Detroit (or was it Toronto?). Either way, the media usually blows these things out of proportion imo.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Yeah, this happened with us a few years back. That big Swede goalie (Gustavsson or something like it) narrowed it down to us, Toronto, and Detroit IIRC. Pretty sure he picked Detroit (or was it Toronto?). Either way, the media usually blows these things out of proportion imo.

He picked Toronto. And then he signed with the Red Wings after leaving the Leafs.

Anyway we've answered the question at hand and why there's no linking of him to the Sharks. There's really nowhere else for this thread to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad