Who is Next

Who’s next, possible candidates after letting TMac go

• Total voters

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
They need to keep McLellan for this season at least. And they obviously will, unless the team goes on a 20-game losing streak or something equally horrid.

Oilers88

Jun 19, 2011
I think it's more than likely going to be Gulutzan. This past summer, Chiarelli doubled down on McLellan by giving him the chance to hire new assistants, and shelling out multiple year contracts (at what are allegedly fairly high dollar figures) for those assistants. If he were to fire McLellan and hire an external coach now, that coach will want to hire their own staff this summer. That means Chia would have to go to Katz and ask him to pay for ANOTHER set of coaches, plus what is left on the current staffs contracts. I find it hard to believe that Chiarelli has that much rope from ownership.

In my mind, the only card Chiarelli has left to play is to promote Gulutzan. If that doesn't work out, we'll have a new GM who will be making more significant changes.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
From the list I'd go with Nelson.

But with our group, I think we need to switch to being a 5-man back trapping team with this group. Rely more on quick counter-attacks.

Really clog up the neutral zone, and eliminate all speed.

Dave Tippett / Ken Hitchcock style.

Maybe Michel Therrien?

Last edited:

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
My personal choice would be Todd Nelson based on little else but sentimentality and it would be a chance to right a wrong where Nelson should've been given the chance to run with the Oilers job.

Realistically speaking though, Nelson's not coming back here so the logical play would be for Gulutzan to take the job on an interim basis until the offseason. From there, who knows? If Chiarelli is still here by then I could see him staying with Gulutzan, but if Chia's fired then all bets are off because it'll be anarchy at that point.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
No chance Nelson cokes back after the way he was treated the first time around.

Adam Oates shouldn't even be on the list as he's making way more money now than he would be if he was a head coach.

Head coaches typically aren't hired unless they can pick their own assistants, which makes me believe Gulutzen is the only option, unless Chiarelli is fired/promoted and the new GM starts with a clean slate.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Craig MacTavish as Interim HC w/the current assistants. If they miss--everyone in the organization gets fired.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I think you guys are underplaying how hard it is to get an NHL head coaching gig. I am almost certain Nelson would come here for a head coaching opportunity. He's not getting them anywhere else right now.

Reactions: GameChanger

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
They need to keep McLellan for this season at least. And they obviously will, unless the team goes on a 20-game losing streak or something equally horrid.

Need to? Why?

Katz was at the game ready to fire him. He wanted to fire him last year. He's as stubborn as a Saskatchewan mule. It took him 70 games to partner nuge and McDavid.

I expect any new coach to immediately chase low hanging fruit like having right shots on the pp jesse for a one timer load top 2 lines with skill and you'll see an immediate improvement.

Todd has had so many ridiculous gambles that havent paid off its insane.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Need to? Why?
They've hired and fired too many coaches in the past 9 or 10 years. At some point, it's not all on the coach. In McLellan's defense, he has 8 winning seasons in 10 tries as an NHL head-coach. That's really, really good. And two of his three seasons as Edmonton's coach were satisfactory or great.

Much as we might all be frustrated at some decisions, firing a coach AGAIN does not make the team better overnight, as the past 6000 coaches have shown.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I like Todd Nelson because he gets most out of the players, good communicator and players loves to play for him.

At least the roster worked hard, forechecked hard and tried. That’s all I ever ask for around here from the current team. It’s not much damnit lol.

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
They've hired and fired too many coaches in the past 9 or 10 years. At some point, it's not all on the coach. In McLellan's defense, he has 8 winning seasons in 10 tries as an NHL head-coach. That's really, really good. And two of his three seasons as Edmonton's coach were satisfactory or great.

Much as we might all be frustrated at some decisions, firing a coach AGAIN does not make the team better overnight, as the past 6000 coaches have shown.

This roster has had 1 coach, and he doesn't have the greatest record with the only team that matters for us. He has 1 great season in Edmonton. He's too stubborn and his system kind of worked 8 years ago.

Reactions: Aerrol

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
If they fire McLellan, I would think that Trent Yawny is the likely candidate to take over as HC, because I would think that sort of possibility would have been discussed to lure him out of Anaheim.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013

This will be the first coach change for the entire team except nuge. Plus he has awful strategies and deserves for be fired.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad