Who is next to win their first cup?

Who is next to win their first cup?

• Total voters

DEVILS130

Aug 14, 2008
PA
After the Caps did it, there are only 12 NHL teams that have not yet won the cup. Who is next? Some obvious choices in the near term (NSH, WPG) but also some long-term dark horses (CBJ, FLA, BUF). In any case, hoping we see some of these teams win soon. Those are the best finals to watch imo

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Jets though I’d say Nashville but it sounds as if they’re too impatient as many people are speculating they’re gonna move high end key players...

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Buffalo. People aren't looking at the future just recent bias.
people aren't projecting the worst team in the league to win a cup any time soon because they need to see some sort of evidence that things are going to turn around. Unproven players like Dahlin and Mittelstadt aren't evidence that Buffalo will go from the worst to the best team, and nobody will treat it as such until it actually happens

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
people aren't projecting the worst team in the league to win a cup any time soon because they need to see some sort of evidence that things are going to turn around. Unproven players like Dahlin and Mittelstadt aren't evidence that Buffalo will go from the worst to the best team, and nobody will treat it as such until it actually happens
Exactly, I mean I like what Buffalo's building, but if they do something stupid to try to fast-track the rebuild again they're not going to sniff a cup.

Biggest 3 contenders on this list right now are Columbus, Nashville, and Winnipeg, though if Nashville does shake things up 1: please send Rinne to Carolina, and 2: that's probably going to drop them from this list for me, would say St Louis would be most likely to replace them.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Most likely to win next:
Jets and Preds, Both teams could just make minor adjustment in the off season and should still be a major SC contender.

CBJ, prove they can get out of the Metro in the PO's

Knights, depending what they do in the off season. Knights need to be able to hold onto their UFA's and maybe improve their D.

Don't see any other teams at the moment that can win it all.

Buf looks good on paper but like others have already mentioned they have to prove it first.

Edit: had the leafs in here originally until another poster reminded me the won the cup 50 years ago and I had totally forgot about that. My bad

Last edited:

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Most likely to win next:
Jets and Preds, Both teams could just make minor adjustment in the off season and should still be a major SC contender.

CBJ, prove they can get out of the Metro in the PO's

Leafs and Knights, depending what they do in the off season. Leafs need to upgrade their D. They do that and they can move up with the Jets and Preds. Knights need to be able to hold onto their UFA's and maybe improve their D.

Don't see any other teams at the moment that can win it all.

Buf looks good on paper but like others have already mentioned they have to prove it first.
Wouldn’t be the leafs first cup

Reactions: libertarian

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
I don't think they will win. Maurice doesn't do it for me. I'm not sold on their goaltending either. I see them regressing next year.

I like Maurice as a coach. Goaltending is certainly up and down. Even if they regress next year, they still have a pretty big window to figure it out and eventually get it done - Laine's 20 and Ovechkin just did it at 32. Of the teams on the list Winnipeg is easily the most talented and deep. The possible problem of keeping the team together will come up pretty soon though.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
The Panthers, in 2069, lead by their star d-man Ekman Oliver-Larsson.

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
For me, if everybody stays pat, it will be either Nashville or Winnipeg. But if Vegas goes and and becomes a big player in free agency (TAVARES, CARLSON) then I definitely wont rule out them

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Tough one. Tempting to go Preds but i'll split my vote between Florida and Columbus.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Long-term I will be very surprised if Buffalo doesn't get at least one with a core of Dahlin/Eichel/Ristolainen/Reinhart/Mistellstatt (sp?) and whoever else comes along. Presently, I would say the Jets are the safest to win it first. Good chance they could have won it this year if it weren't for the Knights continuing their crazy run. Only other team that is immediately ready I think is the Preds. I think their window is a lot smaller at the moment and I like the Jets roster better. St. Louis could be up there with the Preds/Jets pretty soon if Thomas can step into the 2C or 1C role nicely and Schenn repeats his production from last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad