Who is more important, Benn or Seguin?

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Benn, pretty easily. On par with or better than Seguin offensively, and he does everything else. Seguin's not one-dimensional, but doesn't have as many facets to his game as Benn does.

brighteststars

Feb 11, 2014
It's an interesting question and one could make a strong case for either one. I too would go with Benn. He's the more well-rounded player as evidenced by his defence, physicality, and ability to play any type of offensive game (off the rush or grind it out down low). Seguin is more dynamic than Benn offensively but is susceptible to being contained when checking becomes really tight.

Ub the Bub

Feb 9, 2010
Benn definitely. He's truly a complete player. Can do everything well, play in every situation. Seguin is obviously fantastic too, but he's more of a role player than Benn.

Ssudzzy

Jun 10, 2014
Benn is captain for a reason.

Not saying Benn isn't the better player or more important but The fact that he's captain should not weigh in the argument here. There are plenty of captains that are not the best or most important players on their team

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
2015 was the year of Jamie Benn, never mind just the Dallas Stars, no one in the NHL was as dominant as Jamie Benn has been over the past calendar year. I mean, 107 points over the past 365 days (84 games), ****, that's nuts, especially from a power-forward who spends time penalty killing. For that reason, right now, it's not close.

I will say, a lot of Jamie Benn's dominance has been aided by being on a pretty massive shooting percentage bender, something that unfortunately, just won't continue. Seguin has benefited a bit from the percentages, but not nearly as much as Benn, so I think if you're projecting goal and point totals, Seguin is the safer bet to produce more in the future.

I think a major reason for why Seguin will likely produce more than Benn in the future is that a lot of Dallas' set plays are designed to take advantage of either Seguin's lethal sweeping one timer, or his ability to cut through and get behind defenders via the stretch pass. Benn just doesn't have Seguin's release or acceleration, he generally gets most of his goals by controlling the puck and stepping in to release his laser beam of a wrist shot. That's much harder to design a set play around. I think the fact that more of Benn's goals come spontaneously as opposed to on designed plays makes his production much more impressive, but also less likely to continue.

Despite Jamie being the better all around player, Seguin does have some edges over Benn in his 200 foot game, in particular, he doesn't turn the puck over as much as Jamie, and Seguin seems like he is turning into one of the game’s faceoff aces (currently at 57%, up from 53.8% last year). Even still, after the percentages normalize, I still think Benn will have the edge, but this will be a much closer question in the future, and one that will be very hard to quantify.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
Benn does it all. There's no doubt about who they look down the bench to when the team needs something....anything.

And It runs so much deeper than just stats. Benn also drives this team emotionally and physically.

No question Benn is the more important player.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
2015 was the year of Jamie Benn, never mind just the Dallas Stars, no one in the NHL was as dominant as Jamie Benn has been over the past calendar year. I mean, 107 points over the past 365 days (84 games), ****, that's nuts, especially from a power-forward who spends time penalty killing. For that reason, right now, it's not close.

I will say, a lot of Jamie Benn's dominance has been aided by being on a pretty massive shooting percentage bender, something that unfortunately, just won't continue. Seguin has benefited a bit from the percentages, but not nearly as much as Benn, so I think if you're projecting goal and point totals, Seguin is the safer bet to produce more in the future.

I think a major reason for why Seguin will likely produce more than Benn in the future is that a lot of Dallas' set plays are designed to take advantage of either Seguin's lethal sweeping one timer, or his ability to cut through and get behind defenders via the stretch pass. Benn just doesn't have Seguin's release or acceleration, he generally gets most of his goals by controlling the puck and stepping in to release his laser beam of a wrist shot. That's much harder to design a set play around. I think the fact that more of Benn's goals come spontaneously as opposed to on designed plays makes his production much more impressive, but also less likely to continue.

Despite Jamie being the better all around player, Seguin does have some edges over Benn in his 200 foot game, in particular, he doesn't turn the puck over as much as Jamie, and Seguin seems like he is turning into one of the game’s faceoff aces (currently at 57%, up from 53.8% last year). Even still, after the percentages normalize, I still think Benn will have the edge, but this will be a much closer question in the future, and one that will be very hard to quantify.

To be fair, they both arguably have top 5 shots in the league. A higher-than-normal shooting percentage is expected for them, although I will agree that Benn's is astronomically high.

In terms of production, I think they'll see a similar transition as Stamkos did. Elite for a few years, then a tier below once teams adjust.

brighteststars

Feb 11, 2014
To be fair, they both arguably have top 5 shots in the league. A higher-than-normal shooting percentage is expected for them, although I will agree that Benn's is astronomically high.

In terms of production, I think they'll see a similar transition as Stamkos did. Elite for a few years, then a tier below once teams adjust.

I think teams have already started adjusting to them. They don't have too much open ice or chances off the rush. However, they're still able to put up great numbers. IMO, Benn and Seguin are tougher to shut down than Stamkos. Stamkos' weakness is not being able to generate chances when there is no room but Benn and Seguin are still able to do it.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box

Yeah, I think a 13%-14% shooting percentage for both Benn and Seguin could be sustained, which is still really high. If I'm projecting their production next year I think I'd guess about 36 goals and 83 points for Benn and about 42 goals and 88 points for Seguin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad