Who is last Leaf to get waived when Hyman comes back?

Who is last Leaf waived?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
The one who waves back at you last !

upload_2019-11-8_6-40-18.png

Reactions: Eric bungay

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
To me Spezza is the most valuable. (All relative)
I would waive Shore, I think he would get through. Regardless whoever is waived we have similar backup renforcements on the Marlies. In a pinch Spezza can play 3rd line centre.
Who else can do that job in the event of an injury to our top 3?

Reactions: TheScandal89

stewpac

Nov 30, 2015
Does spezza contract even come off the books if he's waived? He has a 35+ contract, so he cant be sent down to clear space or am I wrong? First for everything ;)

Reactions: Madap

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Does spezza contract even come off the books if he's waived? He has a 35+ contract, so he cant be sent down to clear space or am I wrong? First for everything ;)

It does come off the cap since he's only on a one year contract.

The Missing Piece

What's Left?
Sep 19, 2012
Those contracts only have implications for buyouts/retirement.

He would still come off the books.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Spezza started coming around with increased ice time. I hope he stays and Shore is waived.

Timashov-Gauthier-Moore is a really good 4th line, and Spezza can rotate into the lineup periodically and be the 13th forward in case of injuries.

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
Shore, probably. I really like Spezza, and I think he's starting to play better too. Not necessarily better than Shore, but the difference is so small that I doubt it matters for a 13th forward. Keep the guy with experience and who is probably better in the locker room.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
To me Spezza is the most valuable. (All relative)
I would waive Shore, I think he would get through. Regardless whoever is waived we have similar backup renforcements on the Marlies. In a pinch Spezza can play 3rd line centre.
Who else can do that job in the event of an injury to our top 3?

I would agree with this.

I think our PK pairs have been:

Marner-Kapanen
Mikheyev-Moore
Goat (for face-offs)

haven't seen Shore PK much; once Hyman is back I wonder what is Shore's use anyway?

I would value Spezza and his experience more than Shore on the 4th line with 2nd PP duties

trust me we would need Spezza's experience in the playoffs

Picking Shore to get waived because Timashov is a better asset for the Leafs but is a LW;

that said once Hyman is back I expect the line up to look like:

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Matthews-Moore
Mikheyev-Kerfoot-Kapanen
Moore-Goat-XXX

for that XXX I would prefer Spezza instead of Shore or Timashov. I'd keep Timashov up and waive Shore.

Also in case of injury in our Top9 center position; Spezza can play that role more effectively compared to Shore/Goat IMO

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashdown2

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
ergh .. our 4th line is horrendous . either shore or spezza flip a coin,
at least when hyman is back we would have a better 4th line or moore- goat- timmy.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I would agree with this.

Marner-Kapanen
Mikheyev-Moore
Goat (for face-offs)

haven't seen Shore PK much; once Hyman is back I wonder what is Shore's use anyway?

I would value Spezza and his experience more than Shore on the 4th line with 2nd PP duties

Picking Shore to get waived because Timashov is a better asset for the Leafs but is a LW;

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Matthews-Moore
Mikheyev-Kerfoot-Kapanen
Moore-Goat-XXX

for that XXX I would prefer Spezza instead of Shore or Timashov. I'd keep Timashov up and waive Shore.

Hyman plays PK too so even then one of those guys is going to come off. I hope it is Marner, because I don't think he is defensively talented enough to warrant playing in those minutes, but Babcock/Hakstol are not lacking in PK options.

Other thing I will say is that Timashov is not a pure LW. He has played RW in the AHL... And even if you want to consider him a pure LW, Moore's primary position is RW. He was a fixture there on a line with Marchment (LW) and Brooks (C) for much of his dominant AHL periods. He's only playing on LW because he is capable of playing on both wings and they want him playing higher up in the lineup (which he won't do with Marner, Nylander and Kapanen on the RW). So positioning is not going to limit Timashov's chances. The only thing that Shore/Spezza has over Timashov as a player would be the RH Faceoff ability.

Spezza does also bring some veteran leadership, but I don't think it is enough to keep the guy in the lineup, just like it was not enough for a lot of people to say Marleau should have been in the lineup last year (and Marleau was far more effective as a player than Spezza has been thus far). Maybe it would be the saving grace to make him player #21 and occasionally gets him into the lineup, but even that is iffy.

I would say Shore is gone 100%. It's just a matter of whether Spezza joins him and the Leafs choose a 20 man roster or a 7D (I'd personally go 7D since Holl can play RW if necessary and lineups with 7D I not a novel concept). Shore would help bolster the Marlies center depth, especially since there are some injuries right now (Kossila and Brooks), and provides the RH option that otherwise does not exist. Plus Spezza, for the most part, can provide everything he does as a player... At least enough for his prestige/experience to carry Spezza the rest of the way.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
I would agree with this.

Marner-Kapanen
Mikheyev-Moore
Goat (for face-offs)

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Matthews-Moore
Mikheyev-Kerfoot-Kapanen
Moore-Goat-XXX

Also in case of injury in our Top9 center position; Spezza can play that role more effectively compared to Shore/Goat IMO

Double shift Moore and sit Nylander??? ;) In a way, I like Moore where he has been, he is a smaller version of Hyman in a way....... not afraid to dig for pucks, goes into corners, lays a hit (OH MY!). Almost too good for the 4th line, but good problem to have.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
FWIW - I went with Timashov, basically because of position. Shore and Spezza can both be used to take faceoffs (obviously not in same game as they both won't be in lineup at same time).

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
There seems to be the most buzz surrounding Spezza. I wouldn't be surprised if it were Shore though. My preference would be for it not to be Timashov.
Leafs Nation just does not appreciate the lack of penalty minutes and this excessive skill Spezza brings to the table. As Moron Man said, "In the playoffs, we need grit. Grit that leads to penalties for the Leafs but not for the other team. Penalties that can be a difference maker in overtime. That is what Leafs Nation wants and we better fire Dubas so we can get a GM who goes by the eye-test, like we do, and stop this scientific method analytics thing,"

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I am fine with them waiving either Shore or Spezza. I think that Spezza has more ability to play up the lineup if needed. Don't waive Timashov under any circumstances.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I don't care if it's Shore or Spezza getting waived/traded just so long as we don't waive Timashov

The kids still young enough to improve and he's been developing in our organization for years

He's also a good 4th liner, defensively responsible with some offensive ability and a willingness to engage

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

The 35+ rule is only applicable for multi-year deals.

Spezza is on a one-year, meaning the Leafs can save some $ by dumping him

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Shore if someone is waived, otherwise a trade. I hate to keep banging the Barrie drum but that moves enough salary they can actually carry a full roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad