Who is Going to Win?

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
The other thread was pretty dumb with relegated countries and an indirect question. So I ask you this, who takes the gold home?

QF Matchups:

Russia-Czech Republic
Sweden-USA
Belarus-Finland
Slovakia-Canada

SF Matchups:
Russia/Czechs-Finland/Belarus
Canada/Slovakia-Sweden/USA

Slime

Mar 30, 2003
Sweden
mattihp said:
Not Finland. We're doom to end with only that one gold.

No Matti... don't be like that. ;) We're all frustrated about the silver-syndrome, but I am sure we're facing an era which will bring us a few golds soon. Finland is just a few years away from really reaching the level of all the other nations (except Canada of course) whatever comparison criteria you'll using (International play, NHL-representation, juniors etc).

All the generations of Finnish players younger than 30 have the same quality and depth as the other nations (just go 'n check! :teach: ). Latvia WC might not give Gold because of Norrena, but there's always a next year... and what really matters anyway is just the Olympics and the World Cup, so mark 2010 in your calendar because from there on Finland won't be called underdogs ever again before a tournament in our life time.
:win: :hockey:

f1nn

Jan 12, 2004
Espoo, Finland
Slime said:
No Matti... don't be like that. ;) We're all frustrated about the silver-syndrome, but I am sure we're facing an era which will bring us a few golds soon. Finland is just a few years away from really reaching the level of all the other nations (except Canada of course) whatever comparison criteria you'll using (International play, NHL-representation, juniors etc).

All the generations of Finnish players younger than 30 have the same quality and depth as the other nations (just go 'n check! :teach: ). Latvia WC might not give Gold because of Norrena, but there's always a next year... and what really matters anyway is just the Olympics and the World Cup, so mark 2010 in your calendar because from there on Finland won't be called underdogs ever again before a tournament in our life time.
:win: :hockey:

i don't know about you guys but personally i fear the day the finns are no longer thought of as underdogs.. i think thats our best weapon.. even when on paper we don't look the best guys always show up ready to play and a desire to prove everyone wrong.. i think being "the underdog" plays to our advantage

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
4 nipple finn said:
i don't know about you guys but personally i fear the day the finns are no longer thought of as underdogs.. i think thats our best weapon.. even when on paper we don't look the best guys always show up ready to play and a desire to prove everyone wrong.. i think being "the underdog" plays to our advantage
The only world champs Finland has won, was when the team was considered favourites.

Padawan

Former power tripper
Dec 31, 2002
Jyvaskyla, Finland
www.jypht.fi
I'm going to go with Russia - Canada final with Russia winning the gold in OT. Finland - Sweden bronze medal game and I'm hoping that Team Finland pulls it off and wins the Bronze. It's just a feeling I have (which btw is often wrong in the end).

Leo Naphta

May 14, 2004
On top of the World
Padawan said:
:amazed: Never thought a swedish would say that! Are you high? :dunno:

Why should I be? I don't have a problem with Finland or finns.

And anyway, given the miracle in Helsinki and the last sunday of february in Turin... Well, I'm starting to feel sorry for Finland.

Padawan

Former power tripper
Dec 31, 2002
Jyvaskyla, Finland
www.jypht.fi
Leo Naphta said:
Why should I be? I don't have a problem with Finland or finns.

And anyway, given the miracle in Helsinki and the last sunday of february in Turin... Well, I'm starting to feel sorry for Finland.
I'm starting to think Hell has frozen over. I never thought a swede would want Team Finland to win the World Championship over Team Sweden. Mats Sundin would roll over in his grave if he were dead.

Leo Naphta

May 14, 2004
On top of the World
Padawan said:
I'm starting to think Hell has frozen over. I never thought a swede would want Team Finland to win the World Championship over Team Sweden. Mats Sundin would roll over in his grave if he were dead.

Hey, I don't want Finland to win. I'm cheering for Sweden alright. But I do think that Finland deserves it more. That's quite a different thing.

Winning for Finland would be big. But it wouldn't have much importance in the grand scheme of things for Sweden. We have already won a much, much more important trophy this year.

Last edited:

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
As far as I'm concerned its Canada. My guess is they beat Sweden in the semis on Saturday and then play the Czechs on Sunday. Crosby and Bergeron are looking just too good to stop. It reminds me of the way they played in the '05 WJC. Boyes has also been good. Denis has been stellar too.

But to me Crosby is the key. Every where he plays he's always the leading scorer. In the QMJHL for his two seasons, in the 2005 QMJHL playoffs, in the 2005 Memorial Cup. The better he plays it makes me wonder why he wasnt in Turin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->