Who is each team’s biggest rival?

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
Canucks overall history would be Calgary probably but Seattle in a couple years will be a natural rivalry

Foots

ALL OURS
May 5, 2018
Ugh, are they really? Despite numerous PO meetings, the Rangers mostly feel like a tired matchup that all but guarantees a boring series. In fact, I'd say Philadelphia is our 2nd rivalest team behind the obvious Pens.
What makes a matchup tired?

DEVILS130

Aug 14, 2008
PA
The Devils biggest rival is clearly the Rangers. There have been brief periods where the Flyers probably took the spot (late 90s/early 2000s) but that rivalry has really died lately. The games just don't have the same intensity as Devils-Rangers

Reactions: mtnet

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
In the hawks prime, our biggest playoff rivals not in our division were Vancouver and LA. Inside our division, our biggest rival was the Wings.

Now our biggest rivals are the Blues and Preds by far.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Used to be Chicago, now we're too irrelevant and our core that made that rivalry so good is virtually gone.

Soon it's going to be Seattle.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I guess it’s currently Nashville or St. Louis...

But the last rivalry I really cared about, where every game was ‘clear your schedule, turn off your phone, must watch’ viewing was the Kings. Cause that felt...bigger.

It was like ‘you are the one team capable of standing in our way. You are the one obstacle to cementing our legacy, and putting our stamp on this decade as OUR decade. You have the chance to take what we want and make it yours instead’.

When the stakes are historical legacy, when its about best of the best, about who gets remembered most clearly decades from now, it means more than ‘oh, the teams get in scrums after the whistles and their fans are obnoxious’.

But I dont think either roster ever had a bad thing to say to each other. There wasnt much hate. Just respect and laser focus. Both teams in 2014 admitted they circled the other as the guys they had to get past to get the cup, and had done so as early as the all-star break. Imagine playing half a season with absolute certainty about who you were gonna go to war with in crunch time. Like everything up to that inevitability is just...preamble.

Last edited:

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Winnipeg's is probably Nashville. I'd say Vegas but their in a different division and their soon to be rival will be one of Arizona or Vegas. Would say Seattle but that'll likely be Vancouver's next rival.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Foe me as an Ottawa fan it's Toronto. Their fans just flood our rink, drink our booze, backslap our women and burn the occasional Alfie jersey outside while chanting "This is our house!" so yeah.
Montréal is Boston, and Toronto's main rival is probably Boston still due to the recent playoff history.
I don't think TO or MTL care about us, despite geography, as we are too peonic at the moment.

(In reality, the Senators' biggest rival is Eugene Melnyk...he's our largest obstacle to success.)

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
Avs/Wild has always been seething. It's a pretty fun one.

We have had some dustups with the Jets of late and would love to see something develop there.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
It's funny; to hear some of them talk, the Pens can't possibly be a rival of the Jackets. Not at all. As they're happy to point out, we're nothing to them. But then you look around and notice that to the extent that any of it exists at all, nearly all the anti-Columbus and anti-Columbus players whining comes from Pens fans and the Pens organization. And it's generally over the absolute stupidest nonsense, like when Tortorella gets short with an area reporter that we've got a diminishing opinion of, or most recently over a "taunting" of the Hurricanes bench that no Jackets or Hurricanes fans gave a damn about. Or it comes up at the stupidest moments, such as turning every goaltending discussion into a referendum on "Playoff Bob".

But yeah, we're totally not a rival, or even a team of any significance whatsoever. Not at all. :nod:

Granted, we've got our own idiots who pull stupid crap like cheering on any time Crosby takes a hit of any kind, legal or otherwise. But they're at least being honest about their feelings, reprehensible though they may be.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
It's funny; to hear some of them talk, the Pens can't possibly be a rival of the Jackets. Not at all. As they're happy to point out, we're nothing to them. But then you look around and notice that to the extent that any of it exists at all, nearly all the anti-Columbus and anti-Columbus players whining comes from Pens fans and the Pens organization. And it's generally over the absolute stupidest nonsense, like when Tortorella gets short with an area reporter that we've got a diminishing opinion of, or most recently over a "taunting" of the Hurricanes bench that no Jackets or Hurricanes fans gave a damn about. Or it comes up at the stupidest moments, such as turning every goaltending discussion into a referendum on "Playoff Bob".

But yeah, we're totally not a rival, or even a team of any significance whatsoever. Not at all. :nod:

It is because your team has had ex Flyers, and Rangers.

Honestly why.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
It is because your team has had ex Flyers, and Rangers.

Honestly why.
That's the favorite excuse, but it doesn't go anywhere towards explaining antipathy towards guys like Foligno, Jenner, and Anderson. (Or arguably Bob, for that matter, since his Flyers career was kind of a footnote.) Or the whole "Letang is better than Jones/Werenski combined" silliness that's come up from time to time, although there's admittedly idiot homers in any fanbase.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad