Prospect Info: Who is Canucks #12 prospect?

medhatcanuck

Jul 8, 2010
Inside JayZ's Belly
12. Cassels
13. Eriksson
14. McEneny
15. Subban
16. McNally

If Subban was the same player but his last name was Bernier or Alberts he wouldn't even be on that list. I'm not saying he won't be good, I just don't see how you could have him in front of guys like Cassels or Eriksson

What's with the regression?
2012-13 Belleville Bulls OHL 68 15 36 51 47 22 | Playoffs 17 2 3 5 20 10
2013-14 Belleville Bulls OHL 66 12 30 42 63 -11

Is it be cause his team sucked and sent players like Gaunce away?

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I don't simply equate simply being big with 'having huge upside'.

He's a decent prospect but hasn't shown much offensive upside or mean streak at age 20. The hope would be that he could be a big, conservative, mobile-for-his-size #4-5 like Andrej Sustr.

Absolutely your projection is more "likely". But if a genie told you that in 10 years one guy from this poll will be a franchise level player, imo the smart money would be on Tryamkin.

Watching the highlight reels, he doesn't look like a guy that's just "mobile for his size". He's mobile for a guy 5 inches shorter. Hasn't shown any offense yet, but while his peers have been playing vs juniors, he's been playing in the second best men's league in the world. Big difference. If he'd been putting up points at his age, and with his size, he'd have been a top 10 pick.

Mean streaks are nice, but it's a bonus.

And if he wasn't Russian, he'd be pretty much a lock to at least see some games in the NHL. Only reason he won't imo is if he doesn't come over. Considering he attended the draft gives reason for optimism here.

Domecile

Opinion != Fact
Jul 9, 2014
Delta
12. Cassels
13. Eriksson
14. McEneny
15. Subban
16. McNally

If Subban was the same player but his last name was Bernier or Alberts he wouldn't even be on that list. I'm not saying he won't be good, I just don't see how you could have him in front of guys like Cassels or Eriksson

I remember reading a few Bulls fans comments saying that Subban struggled playing a top pair role last season and at times played poor defence.
Maybe playing with an increased responsibility in his own end on a poopy Bulls team hampered his production?

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
Still think we can't totally rule out Cederholm, but I've been pretty high on Cassels play for a while now

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Absolutely your projection is more "likely". But if a genie told you that in 10 years one guy from this poll will be a franchise level player, imo the smart money would be on Tryamkin.

pretty much everyone that's gone with the exception of maybe vey and jensen are more likely (read; not at all) to be a franchise player than tryamkin

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
pretty much everyone that's gone with the exception of maybe vey and jensen are more likely (read; not at all) to be a franchise player than tryamkin

None of the guys that are gone are in this poll so not sure the relevance.

And obviously the chance of Tryamkin becoming a franchise player is almost nil, but I don't see anyone left to vote for that has an upside that's higher. At least not without having to overcome a glaring concern or two.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
None of the guys that are gone are in this poll so not sure the relevance.

And obviously the chance of Tryamkin becoming a franchise player is almost nil, but I don't see anyone left to vote for that has an upside that's higher. At least not without having to overcome a glaring concern or two.

oh, sorry. i read "this poll" as if you were saying "this series", like the entire project - not just the options available

i think eriksson and the two defencemen give him a run for his money and then yeah, everyone else is grinder ceiling

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Don't see how it can't be Cassels

Thinks the game well and is hard to play against, showed significant post draft progression that you love to see and it had legitimized him as a prospect in my eyes. I saw quite a bit of him last season and for the most part really liked what I saw. Very good vision and his compete level was only matched by Laughton IMO. Skating needs a little work, but it isn't bad or hurt his game at the OHL level. I put more stock into that than a couple (albeit NHL) throwaway games where Zalewski didn't look awful.

He was playing with one of two great players most of the time, and I guess we'll see what he does without them next year if MDC does make it but I have a good feeling about him.

Next for me is Kenins or Eriksson, then you're looking at guys like Tryamkin/Zalewski

Last edited:

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
12. Cassels
13. Eriksson
14. McEneny
15. Subban
16. McNally

Team was significantly worse. If he's moved to a good team this year, I'd expect him to be 1PPG+ on that new team. If he isn't up around the PPG mark on a new team (and probably .75+ PPG even on Belleville), then I'd probably cool on him quite a bit. Right now I think he has significantly more upside than Cassels though.

topheavyhookjaw

Sep 7, 2008
was torn between Kenins or Zalewski, think both are likely to play some NHL games. Went Kenins but was a bit of a coin flip.

KeslerFIN

Jul 26, 2012
Tryamkin for sure. Has a huge upside, really smart and mobile, hard shot, just needs to add some mean streak. He propably won't be Chara, but might be good #5 or #6 shutdown guy for us in the future.

J Canuck

Mar 19, 2013
the couch
I think one per day is fine. There's still a lot of off season to kill and it gives people a chance to vote if they're only checking in a couple times a day.

Harold

Aug 17, 2006
Kelowna
Looking over this list, an absolutely crazy turnaround in the depth of our prospect pool from even a couple of years ago. Credit needs to be given to Gillis for his drafting and free agent signings over the last year or two, as well to Benning for his moves this past draft.

Solid top 11, and then you have guys like Zalewski and Lain who have had cups of coffee with the Canucks and could turn out one day to become fourth-liners in the NHL, and they will be hard-pressed to crack the top 15 of this list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad