who is calgarys #1 goalie?

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Ramo. Ortio is actually more likely to be in the AHL next year, just because they want him playing as many games as possible. We likely bring in a stop-gap Backup in FA.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Hey folks, who is going to be Calgary's starter next season and beyond?

Is it Ramo or Ortio?

Let me know!,

Thanks

Ramo for sure. We will sign a serviceable backup in the UFA market.

Ortio is a great backup, but we want to make sure he gets #1 minutes. With that, he's going back to Abby for another year.

Ask us the same question in a few years, and I think you'll be seeing Ortio and Gillies getting a 41/41 split.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
It's pretty wide open tbh. We have Ramo who is the de facto #1 but I would think that if the Flames sign a guy like Greiss and he excels enough, he could take over the #1 spot.

Ortio will play in the AHL. Probably the first call up if a goalie goes down.

Gillies is still a few years away.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Is it safe to say that Ramo is a temp for this year... Or does he have a couple years as a starter in him

Ramo played extremely well once he was given the ball and allowed to run with it last season. He had legit starter numbers. Assuming that trend continues, we're in no rush to replace him.

JulianHopper*

Joni Ortio

Craig Conroy mentioned yesterday, in his convo with Pat Steinberg, Joni Ortio as well. He said the Flames were really happy with Ortio but that he would be playing in Adirondack this season.

Said the Flames were actively looking for another goalie and that they were waiting to see what happens with some of the free agents currently available and how things would play out.

I was a little surprised to hear that as I thought that Joni Ortio would be the back up for the Flames this up coming season.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Craig Conroy mentioned yesterday, in his convo with Pat Steinberg, Joni Ortio as well. He said the Flames were really happy with Ortio but that he would be playing in Adirondack this season.

Said the Flames were actively looking for another goalie and that they were waiting to see what happens with some of the free agents currently available and how things would play out.

I was a little surprised to hear that as I thought that Joni Ortio would be the back up for the Flames this up coming season.

In my opinion, I want Ortio back in the AHL to further his development. He's still young, no need to rush the guy. Another year in the AHL and then he should be ready to be in the NHL full time. He'll probably be back up for the first year or two.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Is it safe to say that Ramo is a temp for this year... Or does he have a couple years as a starter in him

I wouldn't rule out Ramo as a long-term option. A couple of the prospects look promising but they're still only prospects and Ramo looks like he can be an NHL-level starter. He's also still fairly young for a G.

kirant

Kiprusoffarian
Dec 2, 2011

It's hard to project Ramo. He did a great deal of development in his first NHL season back from Russia. A major aspect of the game which has changed for him is his rebound control.

Ramo has a lot of tools which you'd like from a goalie...he's a large goaltender who can keep cool under fire. His athleticism and rebound control improved to the point where he went from Berra's backup to taking over as the starter. Where he stops is tough to determine as he's still a bit slow tracking rebounds and moving from post to post. I could see him anywhere from a 1A/1B situation goaltender to a full out starter dependant on how much he rounds out his skills.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'll never forget after the Devils game this year, in the post game Jagr was stunned and I believe he said something to the effect that was the best goaltending performance he has seen. It's also a good point noting this was his first season back from the KHL and his injury. I think we're going to see an even better Ramo this year, with him adjusting to the angles and game more he should be much more polished.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I think depending on how well Ramo plays next year determines whether or not we can possibly make the playoffs. For a team like us that had the worst roster on most nights, Ramo made up for it. Once Ramo for sure had the starting position and was given the reins, he excelled. Again, like Johnny Gaudreau, we've got to temper out expectations with this guy. I just know for sure he will not be the one to blame for losses after the performances we see from him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad