Who is Brule?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DutchLeafsfan

Jun 3, 2002
Rotterdam, NL
www.gamer.nl
Gilbert Brule, plays for the Vancouver Giants of the WHL. Had 25 goals and 35 assists in his rookie year this season at the age of 16/17. More than 1 year younger than any rookie who outscored him.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Forsberg4ever said:
I've heard his name thrown around as being #2 to Crosby in the draft next year but I don't even know his first name or what is stats are like.

Gilbert Brule plays for the WHL's Vancouver Giants. He recorded 25 goals and 60 points in 67 games during his rookie season, along with 100 penalty minutes. In the playoffs, he put up a solid 9 points in 11 games. He's considered an all-around player with leadership qualities, a potential Steve Yzerman-type.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Forsberg4ever said:
I've heard his name thrown around as being #2 to Crosby in the draft next year but I don't even know his first name or what is stats are like.

Brule is considered an all around player, and like someone said a poor mans Yzerman is his potential...

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Russian_fanatic said:
Brule is considered an all around player, and like someone said a poor mans Yzerman is his potential...

I wouldn't exactly say a poor mans Yzerman, Brule has the potential to be a superstar player as he is one of those special talents that comes around every so many years.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
moosefan said:
I wouldn't exactly say a poor mans Yzerman, Brule has the potential to be a superstar player as he is one of those special talents that comes around every so many years.

No one can match Yzermans leadership, and Brule will be playing in the defensive era! Brule is also suppose to be like Yzerman, but when Yzerman was a two way player.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Russian_fanatic said:
No one can match Yzermans leadership, and Brule will be playing in the defensive era! Brule is also suppose to be like Yzerman, but when Yzerman was a two way player.

notice I never compared him to Yzerman, but what I was saying is that Brule has the potential to be a superstar not a poor mans anything as he is a special talent.

The word poor mans to me means almost like but not as good, Brule has the ability to be just as good as he wants to be and has the potential to be one of the Marquee players of the NHL in the future.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
His stats don't do him justice, he's an incredible talent. I just hope he pans out accordingly. If not, well, we can always drop in the cyanide.

CoupeStanley

Dec 1, 2003
Nicolet
coupestanley.com
moosefan said:

Yeah, every so many years. How many years in a row did I heard that ?

I mean, we have as once a decade prospect now, Kovalchuk, Spezza, Bouwmeester, Ovechkin, oh and Malkin is a 1st every year but this one, Crosby, Brule, Fleury

Thats without counting the once a decade Daigle, Thornton, Lecavalier

Let just say he is a top pick.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Leachmeister2000 said:
His stats don't do him justice, he's an incredible talent. I just hope he pans out accordingly. If not, well, we can always drop in the cyanide.

Why do his stats not do him justice? Is he incredible yet frustrating to watch? Poor linemates? Why in particular are his +/- at best average for his team?

His stats of course are exceptional (including the average +/-) for a 16/17 year old rookie, although no more impressive than Little in the OHL at 15/16 and Latendresse in the Q at 16 (especially in +/-relative to team mates). So what is it that keeps him ranked ahead of these players that are both younger than he is? The stats must not be doing him justice, but why?

Last edited:

Stiffler's Mom

Mar 2, 2004
Crosby fan, just go and watch and if you know hockey, you will like Brule. It's quite simple. Sixty points in the DUB as a 16 yr old rookie is phenomenal. It's the best point production by a 16 yr old in many, many years. Do not discount his stats because his +/- is average. He played with no-pass punch drunk Tristan Grant, the worst +/- on the Giants for a good part of the season. He played with an inconsistent and now undrafted Mitch Bartley for part of the season, and a bunch of different grinder right wingers. His coach Evason plays him with JD Watt another 16 yr old on right wing in the playoffs, essentially making Brule's line a 3rd or even 4th line. Not much chemistry there and maybe one of the reasons for the Giants defeat to the Silvertips. All Brule could do is hopefully get the puck, which was rare on this Giants team. When he did get the puck, if you ever saw him play, you would know what everyone else knows. I think he did pretty well considering the Giants don't have a whole lot of pro prospects on the team.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Stiffler's Mom said:
Crosby fan, just go and watch and if you know hockey, you will like Brule. It's quite simple. Sixty points in the DUB as a 16 yr old rookie is phenomenal. It's the best point production by a 16 yr old in many, many years. Do not discount his stats because his +/- is average. He played with no-pass punch drunk Tristan Grant, the worst +/- on the Giants for a good part of the season. He played with an inconsistent and now undrafted Mitch Bartley for part of the season, and a bunch of different grinder right wingers. His coach Evason plays him with JD Watt another 16 yr old on right wing in the playoffs, essentially making Brule's line a 3rd or even 4th line. Not much chemistry there and maybe one of the reasons for the Giants defeat to the Silvertips. All Brule could do is hopefully get the puck, which was rare on this Giants team. When he did get the puck, if you ever saw him play, you would know what everyone else knows. I think he did pretty well considering the Giants don't have a whole lot of pro prospects on the team.

Thank-you, 60 pts as 16/17 year old rookie is phenomenal even under the best of circumstances. I look forward to seeing him play, hopefully at the WJC's?. If he's that good he will certainly have a shot at being there. Also be interesting to see how he does at the U18s but I won't get to see him.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
CoupeStanley said:
Yeah, every so many years. How many years in a row did I heard that ?

I mean, we have as once a decade prospect now, Kovalchuk, Spezza, Bouwmeester, Ovechkin, oh and Malkin is a 1st every year but this one, Crosby, Brule, Fleury

Thats without counting the once a decade Daigle, Thornton, Lecavalier

Let just say he is a top pick.

I don't put the label once a decade or much often, so for me to say that the player must have impressed me alot. However alot of people use the term very lose. Malkin is not once a decade player, Kovalchuk and Ovechkin, Bouwmeester are the type of prospects that don't come around every so often, these guys are going to be superstars of the game for years and therefore I would have put those terms on these guys. A decade does not mean a decade it is a term to describe special talent, so you have to be able to accept that term just like in normal conversations 99% of people say "I have done this a million times"

PSUhockey34

Jun 22, 2003
Austin,TX
Russian_fanatic said:

I'm sure Messier can be considered as good of a leader as Yzerman was...there were stretches of time were one was better but overall but have shown that they were pretty darn good leaders

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
The one thing to add about Brule that I've read consistently, is that he is VERY physical. He throws his body around consistently, and in that regard, is far ahead of where Yzerman was at the same age. Probably more of a Brian Trottier type. Ok, for the more modern day fan, then he plays a style similar to Forsberg. Doesn't mean he'll get there, but he does exhibit that style of play.

Of course, he may also end up being more of a Daymond Langkow type of player, who put up similar numbers at the same age. So let's not get carried away about his production. But if his upside is somewhere between Langkow and Trottier, that's still one hell of a player.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Dr.Sens(e) said:
The one thing to add about Brule that I've read consistently, is that he is VERY physical. He throws his body around consistently, and in that regard, is far ahead of where Yzerman was at the same age. Probably more of a Brian Trottier type. Ok, for the more modern day fan, then he plays a style similar to Forsberg. Doesn't mean he'll get there, but he does exhibit that style of play.

Of course, he may also end up being more of a Daymond Langkow type of player, who put up similar numbers at the same age. So let's not get carried away about his production. But if his upside is somewhere between Langkow and Trottier, that's still one hell of a player.

Was just going to say this.

Brule is an intense player. He even dropped the gloves a couple times last year.

I personally feel he has a chance to lead the WHL in scoring next year as a 17/18 year old. I think he's that good, and in fact, I'd say last year he actually underacheived with his offensive numbers, often because, as another poster mentioned, he was stuck on the third line playing crap minutes.

Brule probobly won't go #1 in 2005, but I do think that he is the better prospect than Crosby, though I know a great many people disagree with me ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad