Who is better?

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
ugh, this is another one of those "potential upside vs. likelyhood to reach it" type of things

Barker I would say has more potential upside...if it all comes togther he can be a #1 defenseman who scores, hits, plays defense, etc. The likelyhood of him reaching that, however, is less than the likelyhood of Staal reaching his potential of being a rock solid defender who can move the puck well and add some points. A #2 type defenseman.

and personally I've never been a huge Barker fan, so I'd go with Staal unless you're willing to take the risk

Squeaky

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
ugh, this is another one of those "potential upside vs. likelyhood to reach it" type of things

Barker I would say has more potential upside...if it all comes togther he can be a #1 defenseman who scores, hits, plays defense, etc. The likelyhood of him reaching that, however, is less than the likelyhood of Staal reaching his potential of being a rock solid defender who can move the puck well and add some points. A #2 type defenseman.

and personally I've never been a huge Barker fan, so I'd go with Staal unless you're willing to take the risk

What he said, except I've never been a huge Staal fan, and I am willing to take the risk.

daibaffoni

Jul 15, 2006
EASILY Cam Barker for many reasons. First off he has the potential to be the next Rob Blake, a 50 point d-man along with that nack of toughness and grit. He can be the man that will be there when it counts. Secondly hes playing for Chicago a team with alot of upside and he'll have a great partner aside him in Brent Seabrook. Marc Staal is stuck New York. I dont care if they had a great year last year, come playoff time they acted like the Rangers of old...pathetic.

No disrespect to Marc Staal because he will become a great defensemen, but to compare him to the likes of Cam Barker is beyond me. This is obviously my opinion and I strongly believe that Cam Barker(barring injuries of course) will become a far better and well-wanted defensemen compared to Marc Staal.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
Never been a big fan of Barker. I'm not being a homer and overrating Staal, I'd just rather take my chances with the more sure thing. I wouldn't be surprised if Barker never reached his pre-draft potential.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Flip a coin. I was never high on Barker but it sounds like he has really improved and had a huge Blackhawk camp, so good infact that the management decided not to pursue an offensive defenseman via free agency.

nuckfan insk

Nov 3, 2005
saskatoon Sask
barker has more offensive upside and can qb a powerplay, staal kills penalties, and shuts down top lines, i cant say who is more physical though. stall is the safer pick, and if he ever developed his offensive game in the nhl, i would say he would be the better choice, and from what i heard from the local medicine hat sportswriter say, he isnt a fan favorite in medicine hat (which is puzzling)
i would say staal by a hair.

also can staal please stop being compared to offensively great prospect d men
bourdon barker etc... parent is a better comparison

Geogaddi

Book Hockey
Nov 2, 2005
Dallas
Good thread. Two really good players that could make an impact. Big fan of Marc Staal, as he proved to be a force, especially in the WJC. Barker, i have also given much praise for, as he soon will be running the Blackhawks blueline.

My pick goes to Staal on this, not bc he's a rangers prospect, but bc of how he's progressing, even though Barker has more potential.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
i don't think you remember last year's WJC finals, Stall praticaly shut down Ovechkin on his own, was playing with Parent if i remember, Ovechkin was pissed at the end of the game cause he coudn't do anything

Ovechkin was not in the 2006 tourney with Staal and Parent....

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Ovechkin was not in the 2006 tourney with Staal and Parent....

Staal shut down Malkin

What happened to Barker last year? why only 26 games? bad injury?

from what I remember around the time barker was drafted and the year after, people were really questioning his ability to play a mistake free defensive game. Questioned his head and that while he could put up some offense and lay some hits, he was inconsistant in his own end.

Wouldn't surprise me if that's changed some

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->