Who is better right now: Malkin or Crosby?

Who is better right now?

• Total voters

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Sportnet’s Top 20 Centres list ranked Malkin ahead of Crosby at the number 2 spot.

As terrible as that list was, this situation was very interesting. So it begs the question, who is better right now?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Malkin had a better season that was good enough to push him ahead on that list, but in general Sid is still better

Reactions: olli

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Sportnet’s Top 20 Centres list ranked Malkin ahead of Crosby at the number 2 spot.

As terrible as that list was, this situation was very interesting. So it begs the question, who is better right now?
What's so terrible about it? It has far much more thought and analysis put into it than any other list I've seen out there (especially on these boards)

Reactions: Casanova and Peat

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
There's no one in the league I'd take over Crosby heading into a playoff series. That said Malkin was clearly better last year in the reg season.

Reactions: Casanova and Peat

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
Right now? Malkin due to last season, the guy was an absolute beast. Overall though it's Crosby.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
small sample size, malkin had a great season, Crosby some good games in the playoffs.

Crosby RS and POs combined: 110 points in 94 games (1.17 PPG)

Malkin RS and POs combined: 106 in 87 games (1.22 PPG)

Not a heck of a difference. As usual Crosby played with less talented linemates for most of the year and took on the other team's best defenders and #1 lines.

Last season was the only the 2nd time in twelve seasons that Malkin beat Crosby in points and PPG.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Malkin was better than Sid last year, he had way more energy. That said he only outscored him by 9 points playing against weaker compitition.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Every time that both are healthy, the top defensive assignments are on Crosby, not Malkin.

When that changes, you’ll know who the better player is, until then, it’s Crosby.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
ive always felt that Crosby is better, but Malkin more "dominant"

probably doesnt make sense, but so be it

Reactions: olli

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Just because Malkin had a better season doesn’t mean he’s the better player.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Malkin was better last season when fit (and taking on a fair amount of shutdown duty that's gone missed) but I still think Sid's the better player by a hair.

That said, I'd question the linemate narrative. Malkin's linemates over the past few years might be higher profile (i.e. Kessel) but Crosby's got his pick as to who he gets chemistry with while Malkin's had to make do.

Reactions: Casanova

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Sid is a much more reliable player and doesn't have those insane defensive brain farts that Malkin has every now and then.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Crosby. He’s just so damn consistent, I don’t think you barely ever hear anything about a Crosby slump.

But in saying that, I don’t think there’s a better player in the league when Malkin is on. He’s just an absolute freak out there when he’s feeling it.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Crosby easily. For all his offensive prowess, Malkin makes minimum one unbelievably atrocious play per period, whether it’s a bad turnover, dumb penalty, missed defensive assignment, or so on.

When Malkin made the inexcusably poor play that led to Oshie’s first goal last night, my buddies and I just looked at each other. No words needed to be said. We all love him to pieces but he is also the only player we know who is at once the best and worst player on his team in a single game on a regular basis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->