Who is a prospect you didn't expect much of but turned into a star?

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Brandon Tanev. Undrafted US college product signed to a minimum wage contract and showed up to Jets training camp, struggled in the beginning, then turned into one of the best bottom 6 players we’ve ever had. He earned every penny of the contract that Pittsburgh gave him, we couldn’t match that to keep him.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
This is an easy one for anyone who follows Michigan hockey, Zach Hyman.

If you had told me he was going to be a point-per-game player and potential 50 goal guy in the NHL, I would have suggested you be admitted to some kind of facility.

• Haha
Reactions: Our Lady Peace

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Pacioretty was supposed to middle 6 playmaker with size and speed. On his final ELC year, he suddenly turned into one of the best shoot first scoring LW. It really seemed to come out of nowhere, people were ready to peg him as a 3rd liner after his first 2 pro seasons
Came here to say that.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
I think at the time I was still interested in the more physically imposing players, so when people said Quinn Hughes was going to be a special defender because of his mobility I had doubts, since he's really not that big (we're the same height). Sorry Cap'n, should never have doubted you.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
JT Miller. He was a solid prospect who had good 60 point potential. Now he's a bonafide #1C capable of playing a 200 ft game.

Tage Thompson too. I thought he might've been a middle 6 scoring winger good for 30/20 a season.
Oh actually I forgot another guy who has burst onto the scene maybe not quite as a star but looked really really good last year and finding himself again after injury this year - Tom Novak.

I remember seeing him at Minnesota back in the day and thinking how vanilla of a player he was. Stagnant, average offensive numbers in college. 22 year old in the AHL and about 0.7 PPG. Then marinated for a while and took the bulls by the horn last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad