Speculation: Who is a good General Manager? Perhaps it's the luckiest one?

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
lol , so Lou who sat Lupes down and explained how his career was over would have have allowed Marleau to make him his bitch like he did to Dubie

your agenda is clearly clouding your judgement , maybe you should take a second to gather your thoughts

Yeah, no difference between retiring a player that was made of glass and medically unfit to play and forcing the guy with one of the top ironman streaks in the league that is still a viable player, has complete contractual control of the situation, and the love of your coach to do something he doesn't want to do.

There's also precedent for Lou using a 1st to get out of a contract he doesn't like without the player having a 10th of that leverage.

Reactions: The Podium

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
LL played the cards he was dealt in NY and most of the deals he gave out to ufa's were fine outside of a couple including Komo who wasn't worth the deal he got but i;m happy he got payed ,

LL didn't inherit Mathews/Marner/Nylander but he did inherit Rielly/Kadri/Brown/Hyman and he signed them all to team friendly deals.Dubas on the other hand got bent over by ufa's and rfa's alike ,

JT is already overpaid , no where near one of the top centers in the league and in a couple of years he'll be on one of if not the biggest cap anchor in the league and Muzzin will be right there with him so explain to me why it's okay for Dubas to hand out monster deals to aging vets but you ripping LL for it ?
So he gets credit for the good contracts he signed with the Leafs that he did inherit but doesn't deserve criticism for all the bad contracts he handed out to the players he inherited or the cards he was dealt? Sounds to me like he got bent over by a bunch of mediocre players over there wouldn't you say?

Tavares was 14th among centers in ppg and is a 1C, so I would say he is still among the top centers in the league. Muzzin was on pace for 35 pts this year and is still a solid top 4 Dman. I can absolutely say Dubas' big contracts are ok and Lou's are bad because Dubas' are actually still producing and Lou's aren't.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
At what point will Dubas’ effort stand on its own and not need propping up by Lou Lams failings?

It's not propping up, it's just the reality of the post elc transition period. A reality that some don't want to face. It's nothing new. It's been talked about going back to 2016 and 2017. The Marleau signing brought it to the forefront.

We're through to the other side now, with the core intact and a super bright future. There will be yearly cap struggles, but that's the reality of having a great team.

Looking at what Lou's done to the Isles it's easy to infer that this isn't the spot he'd have us in. We might have been marginally better these last two seasons but he'd have gutted the future of this team to do it. He gets a lot of credit for his Islander and Leaf success, but the fact is that success has come on the back of his stars being on ELC or cheap bridge deals, and he hasn't shown any sign of being able to manage the transition to them getting full value.

So in terms of "standing alone" there are only really two points of relevance for bringing up Lou when talking about Dubas-

1. That the 3rd year of Marleau's contract + NMC made a tough situation almost untenable this season. We could not keep Marleau, keep the core intact, and be competitive this year. Without the Marleau dagger the other two were hard enough to balance.

2. Playing whatif - People blindly thinking things would have been better despite all evidence to the contrary.

1. should start to fade after this years draft. What's done is done we're through the transition
2. will only go away with winning. As long as people bring up Lou in a wistful "what if" way his failings are going to be thrown back in their faces.

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
LL played the cards he was dealt in NY and most of the deals he gave out to ufa's were fine outside of a couple including Komo who wasn't worth the deal he got but i;m happy he got paid ,

LL didn't inherit Mathews/Marner/Nylander but he did inherit Rielly/Kadri/Brown/Hyman and he signed them all to team friendly deals.Dubas on the other hand got bent over by ufa's and rfa's alike ,

JT is already overpaid , no where near one of the top centers in the league and in a couple of years he'll be on one of if not the biggest cap anchor in the league and Muzzin will be right there with him so explain to me why it's okay for Dubas to hand out monster deals to aging vets but you ripping LL for it ?

LL inherited Nylander and Marner.....

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
There could always be an element of luck involved, to an extent. Make enough trades and/or signings and/or hirings that work out effectively though and it would seem to be difficult to argue against being competent in the role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad