News Article: Who Has The NHL’s Best Farm System?

Georgetown Al*

Georgetown Al
Oct 6, 2015
The Winnipeg Jets haven’t been all that successful since the start of their new franchise, making the playoffs only once since they moved north from Atlanta in 2011. There’s a bright future ahead in Winnipeg, however, as the Jets currently have one of the best prospect pools in the entire NHL. The Jets have graduated a host of top picks to their lineup recently, including Mark Scheifele, Nikolaj Ehlers, and Jacob Trouba.

http://thehockeywriters.com/who-has...n=Feed:+TheHockeyWriters+(The+Hockey+Writers)

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
The Winnipeg Jets haven’t been all that successful since the start of their new franchise, making the playoffs only once since they moved north from Atlanta in 2011. There’s a bright future ahead in Winnipeg, however, as the Jets currently have one of the best prospect pools in the entire NHL. The Jets have graduated a host of top picks to their lineup recently, including Mark Scheifele, Nikolaj Ehlers, and Jacob Trouba.

http://thehockeywriters.com/who-has...n=Feed:+TheHockeyWriters+(The+Hockey+Writers)

Mark Scheifele, Nikolaj Ehlers, and Jacob Trouba have never played pro hockey below the NHL level so why are they mentioned in a story on farm systems?

Last edited:

Georgetown Al*

Georgetown Al
Oct 6, 2015
Mark Scheifele, Nikolaj Ehlers, and Jacob Trouba have never played pro hockey below the NHL level so why are they mentioned in a story farm systems?

Well according to the Art I cle the La La Leafs are the best, man there is bad Hockey news out there..... maybe we should start our own? :nod: Who should our editors be?

Stats - Garret9

Last edited:

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
Well according to the Art I cle the La La Leafs are the best, man there is bad Hockey news out there..... maybe we should start our own? :nod: Who should our editors be?

Stats - Garret9

Proofreader / error identifier / nitpicker - Sipowicz

m.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Mark Scheifele, Nikolaj Ehlers, and Jacob Trouba have never played pro below the level so why are they mentioned in a story on farm systems?

I think there is an important distinction to make between "farm team" and "farm system" (which is the entire system of bringing prospects into the NHL, regardless of where they have played)

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I think there is an important distinction to make between "farm team" and "farm system" (which is the entire system of bringing prospects into the NHL, regardless of where they have played)

I don't think that really applies. in the case of both Ehlers and Trouba, the Jets had very little to do with their development. One played on the Mooseheads and the other was at college...not sure how the Jets can really take credit for how they have been developed thus far. its not like either of those teams are under the care and control of True North. Even scheifele is a large stretch because he only played a few games in the playoffs.

I don't really think that OHL teams and NCAA teams are really the farm system.

They are and have been top prospects in our farm system like Hellebuyck and Petan and Morrissey, as well as a few other notables...but I don't think the before mentioned players really belong in this article.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I don't think that really applies. in the case of both Ehlers and Trouba, the Jets had very little to do with their development. One played on the Mooseheads and the other was at college...not sure how the Jets can really take credit for how they have been developed thus far. its not like either of those teams are under the care and control of True North. Even scheifele is a large stretch because he only played a few games in the playoffs.

They are and have been top prospects in our farm system like Hellebuyck and Petan and Morrissey, as well as a few other notables...but I don't think the before mentioned players really belong in this article.

You are completely ignoring the roles of Mike Keane and Jimmy Roy and all the contact & interaction the team has with players. The Jets support their draft picks very well.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

The author is using the term 'farm system' loosely. So sue him. :sarcasm:

I think it is fairly commonly used badly referring to hockey. Just a result of the way the NHL drafts players 2 years before the normal age of entering the formal farm teams. He should have talked about 'development system' or 'prospect system' or the commonly used 'pipeline'. None of that has anything to do with the intent of the story. The Jets pipeline has produced some good NHL players and has some blue-chip prospects.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
The author is using the term 'farm system' loosely. So sue him. :sarcasm:

I think it is fairly commonly used badly referring to hockey. Just a result of the way the NHL drafts players 2 years before the normal age of entering the formal farm teams. He should have talked about 'development system' or 'prospect system' or the commonly used 'pipeline'. None of that has anything to do with the intent of the story. The Jets pipeline has produced some good NHL players and has some blue-chip prospects.

Not gonna lie...totally didn't read it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad