Who has the better list of WJC prospects for camp this summer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Rabid Ranger said:
Fair enough. I guess I'm just harder than most on Crosby, although I should point out I think he's a fantastic player. I'd say the same things about Kessel or anyone else for that matter.

I do see where you are coming from and value your opinion. And for the record I think if Kessel plays in the tournament next year he will also be a dominant difference maker for the US.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Here's my forward lines for the U.S:

Schremp-Kessel-Ryan
Pineault-Bourque-Skille
LaVallee-Fritsche-Wheeler
Porter-Paukovich-Dubinsky

Extra: Peter Mueller

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Rabid Ranger said:
I don't think he'll last that long. I think he's another guy that has a great chance at making the team, especially since he's one of the few natural left wings at the camp.

I can't see him going before that simply because of his age\the fact that he was passed over once before.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
nomorekids said:
I can't see him going before that simply because of his age\the fact that he was passed over once before.

Perhaps, although I think some team will use a 2nd rounder on him.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
I have no doubt he would have a great tournament. IMO though, his presence wouldn't assure Canada of the gold, or even making the gold medal game. Conversely, I don't think his absence would mean Canada would be a bottom feeder either.

no one ever said they would go from the gold medal game to a bottom feeder, i said that the edge might shift to USA. on paper usa and canada should be the top 2 teams and they are pretty even. so if with crosby you make canada 1a and usa 1b, without crosby usa becomes 1a and canada becomes 1b. not a major drop to a bottom feeder but slightly behind usa.

you can't argue that canada is better with crosby than without him.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Pretty even team with a slight edge to the US in terms of talent. However, there are 2 important factors to consider: coaching and character and I believe Canada has the edge in both.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Fozz said:
Pretty even team with a slight edge to the US in terms of talent. However, there are 2 important factors to consider: coaching and character and I believe Canada has the edge in both.

What qualifies you to say that? Do you even know who Walt Kyle is?

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
Here's my forward lines for the U.S:

Schremp-Kessel-Ryan
Pineault-Bourque-Skille
LaVallee-Fritsche-Wheeler
Porter-Paukovich-Dubinsky

Extra: Peter Mueller

Porter on the fourth line?? Behind O'Sullivan, Fritsche and Stafford, Porter played more than any other forward on the U.S. team.

I think the lines would look more like this:

Porter - Kessel - Ryan
Remember how well Porter and Kessel played together?? Throw in a big skilled winger, this line could put up some serious points

Fritsche - Schremp - Skille
How much would Schremp love playing with Fritsche and Skille? Two banging wingers who will get him the puck - they can also score too

Dubinsky - Bourque - Pineault
Could be a scary line if Bourque and Pineault really click in Moncton

LaVallee - Kolarik - Weller/Wheeler
Kolarik has great speed and is a sniper. I think Weller will probably make this team, Lew Mongelluzzo loves him and was the reason he made it last year. Big guys like Wheeler, Paukovich and Davis will put pressure on him.

Extra: Mueller

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Spectacular_Bid said:
Porter on the fourth line?? Behind O'Sullivan, Fritsche and Stafford, Porter played more than any other forward on the U.S. team.

I think the lines would look more like this:

Porter - Kessel - Ryan
Remember how well Porter and Kessel played together?? Throw in a big skilled winger, this line could put up some serious points

How much would Schremp love playing with Fritsche and Skille? Two banging wingers who will get him the puck - they can also score too

Dubinsky - Bourque - Pineault
Could be a scary line if Bourque and Pineault really click in Moncton

LaVallee - Kolarik - Weller/Wheeler
Kolarik has great speed and is a sniper. I think Weller will probably make this team, Lew Mongelluzzo loves him and was the reason he made it last year. Big guys like Wheeler, Paukovich and Davis will put pressure on him.

Extra: Mueller

I was mainly going with groups of players I liked. I think Porter will have an important role on this team and will get quality minutes. I like your lines, and your inclusion of Kolarik and Weller is noted. I'm not a huge fan of his, but he's a returnee, so is a likely inclusion. Kolarik will probably be there as well.

cdnhky1

May 16, 2002
Visit site
Both teams are fairly even at every position but I think Canada has two major advantages. The first, as has been pointed out, is coaching. The second, and I believe the biggest advantage, is home ice advantage. I think the crowd in Canada could be worth at least a goal a game to the Canadian team which always plays on emotion. Everytime this event has been held in North America since 1991, Canada has either won the gold medal or lost in the gold medal game.

Blane Youngblood

Jun 17, 2003
Visit site
Le Golie said:
I think Canada's hidden strength is in goal. It isn't obvious right now and I highly doubt it will be until the tournaments starts, but I would bet money on Dubnyk turning in the best goaltending performance for Canada since Fleury in Halifax.

I give Canada the edge in goal.

Wow that's pretty surprising. I would say that if Dubnyk starts Canada is toast. I really don't like what he brings to the table at all. Also, I would give the US the edge in goal because I think Schnieder is better then the other goalies available, but that's coming from a Canucks fan.

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
I put Lavallee on my roster basically because he's getting alot of good press on these boards. I haven't seen the kid play since before he went to the Quebec league. I do remember a nice package but I also remember that for a kid his size, he played very scared. I've mentioned this before and was assured that he's since changed his ways and uses his big frame now. If this is true he'd be a great addition to the U.S. team. Any have any thoughts about this kid? I agree with the poster who said he sees him going 4th or 5th round that is unless he makes the U.S. team and has an awesome WJC tournament. Going undrafted and being overexposed (they have seen this kid play in the Q for three years) won't help him.

All that being said, sounds like he could be a great addition to the Red, White and Blue. I also just noticed he scored 40 goals last year, not to shabby!

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
cdnhky1 said:
Both teams are fairly even at every position but I think Canada has two major advantages. The first, as has been pointed out, is coaching. The second, and I believe the biggest advantage, is home ice advantage. I think the crowd in Canada could be worth at least a goal a game to the Canadian team which always plays on emotion. Everytime this event has been held in North America since 1991, Canada has either won the gold medal or lost in the gold medal game.

Fair points, but I don't see the coaching advantage. Care to elaborate? It's not like Kyle is a newbie. He's coached in the WJC's twice before, with a bronze medal finish to his credit.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Spectacular_Bid said:
I put Lavallee on my roster basically because he's getting alot of good press on these boards. I haven't seen the kid play since before he went to the Quebec league. I do remember a nice package but I also remember that for a kid his size, he played very scared. I've mentioned this before and was assured that he's since changed his ways and uses his big frame now. If this is true he'd be a great addition to the U.S. team. Any have any thoughts about this kid? I agree with the poster who said he sees him going 4th or 5th round that is unless he makes the U.S. team and has an awesome WJC tournament. Going undrafted and being overexposed (they have seen this kid play in the Q for three years) won't help him.

All that being said, sounds like he could be a great addition to the Red, White and Blue. I also just noticed he scored 40 goals last year, not to shabby!

LaVallee would be an excellent addition to the team. He's big, skates well, has a nice shot, hits like a train, and is defensively responsible. He and a guy like Paukovich would be a nice presence.

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
I'm not a huge fan of his, but he's a returnee, so is a likely inclusion. Kolarik will probably be there as well.

Nor am I. He took Tom Fritsche's spot last year and I think that was a mistake. By no means is he a lock, although it is rare, there have been returnees who haven't been invited back. I definately he's on the bubble.

What do you think about Zalewski and Oshie being invited instead of Auffrey and Stoa??? Doesn't make sense to me. I thought Auffrey might have a chance to make this team, he's a big kid who bangs and can put up some numbers.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Spectacular_Bid said:
Nor am I. He took Tom Fritsche's spot last year and I think that was a mistake. By no means is he a lock, although it is rare, there have been returnees who haven't been invited back. I definately he's on the bubble.

What do you think about Zalewski and Oshie being invited instead of Auffrey and Stoa??? Doesn't make sense to me. I thought Auffrey might have a chance to make this team, he's a big kid who bangs and can put up some numbers.

Don't get me wrong, Weller worked hard and all that, but just didn't show much offense. I'd like to see more production out of him. He works hard and all that, so he won't be a liability, but is he elite? No. There were better choices for the team last year (such as Fritsche) and there will be better choices this year. As for the omission of Auffrey and Stoa, I'm perplexed as well. I had both being invited to the camp. It's not a real big deal though, as I doubt either would have made the team. I don't know much about Oshie or Zalewski. Zalewski didn't put up great numbers at Clarkson last year, although that doesn't always mean much.

cdnhky1

May 16, 2002
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
Fair points, but I don't see the coaching advantage. Care to elaborate? It's not like Kyle is a newbie. He's coached in the WJC's twice before, with a bronze medal finish to his credit.

I'm well aware of Walt Kyle's experience at the NCAA, AHL, NHL level and his success at the WJC's. I just don't think there is a coach in the tournament who will have as much an impact or influence as Sutter will. Sutter does an exceptional job with regard to tournament preparation and building team chemistry and has always had the ability to get guys to buy into their role quickly and to perform that role to the best of their ability. I also think having Craig Hartsburg on the Canadian staff will be a major advantage to Canada. He has tremendous experience at the international level and, in my opinion, there is not another coach I would rather have working with young defensemen outside of the NHL than Craig Hartsburg.

As I said previously, I still think home ice advantage will be a huge asset for Canada. At most WJC's, particularly those played in Europe, home ice isn't much of an advantage since very few fans attend. But, the energy and emotion that Canada will feed off in Vancouver will provide a huge boost to the Canadian team, particularly early in games. I can remember the energy in the building when Canada beat the US in Halifax. Canada was able to use that emotion to get a quick start on the US and put them on their heels. If not for Goepfert that game is a blow out.

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
Spectacular_Bid said:

Schemp certainly has lots of experience playing with Fritsche (albeit the other one) and some skilled forwards who can get him the puck.

How does Tom compare to Danny, though? I haven't seen enough of him.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
thomasincanada said:
Schemp certainly has lots of experience playing with Fritsche (albeit the other one) and some skilled forwards who can get him the puck.

i would have loved to have seen the fritsches play together last year. from what i gather tom is smaller by 2 inches and 10-15 lbs, and some scouts said hed be top 15 if he had his brothers size. tom seems chippier and more of a set up guy, whereas danny is more physical and a more natural goal scorer. it seems as if tom has done a better job staying healthy also.

jake1

Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
FWIW, Oshie played MN high school hockey at Warroad last year. Warroad plays in Class A, which is the group of generally smaller schools and lesser teams. Blake Wheeler played in Class A the previous year. Oshie is the nephew of former NHLer and MN HS legend Henry Boucha. Oshie has a good shot, sees the ice well, and most of all he's very strong on the puck. He's also a good defender with no fear of the corners and plenty of moxie. When I've seen him he has seemed a step slow for a top prospect, which is probably why he hasn't been considered one. It'll be interesting to see how he fits in at the camp.

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
thomasincanada said:

Both Fritsches compete their asses off. Awesome team guys who never let up for a shift. Tommy is a little smaller but he's strong on the puck and he's a big time set up guy (34 assists this past season) He should have made the US WJC team last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->