Who has priority?

Jer416

Oct 8, 2013
Ontario
So during the Islander's game, Ranger's stick broke and he was handed one by someone (dunno who) that was still on the ice. So was that just an act of "oh, here's my stick since yours is broken" or is it more necessary for Ranger (or any other dman) to have a stick as opposed to a forward?

Ace88*

Goalie > defenseman > forward for stick priority if you ask me.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Centerman > Winger as well, saw it mentioned on a recent game when a Winger gave his stick to a centerman and the announcer said this

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004
Centerman > Winger as well, saw it mentioned on a recent game when a Winger gave his stick to a centerman and the announcer said this

Yep, centers in theory should be deeper in the zone helping the d men.

thepatient

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
With the size and design of todays pads, I don't think goalies are priority anymore.

I would say defense>goalie>centre>winger

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
So during the Islander's game, Ranger's stick broke and he was handed one by someone (dunno who) that was still on the ice. So was that just an act of "oh, here's my stick since yours is broken" or is it more necessary for Ranger (or any other dman) to have a stick as opposed to a forward?

Fowards always give their stick to the D. Everyone gives to the goaltender.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
The priority is always for most defensive responsibility. Goalies are number one because obviously they need a stick to cover the 5-hole. They're by far the most important player to have a stick. I've seen guys get absolutely chewed apart for not handing the goalie a stick. On the other end, any forward with half a decent shot salivates at the sight of a goalie with no stick.

Goalie -> Defensemen -> Center -> Winger

Last edited:

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
As a goalie, I would only be comfortable with a goalie stick. Don't know why players hand their toothpicks to a goalie when the goalie obviously needs a paddle

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
As a goalie, I would only be comfortable with a goalie stick. Don't know why players hand their toothpicks to a goalie when the goalie obviously needs a paddle

Some NHL goalies feel the same way and you will notice them sometimes refusing a defensemen stick.

I don't play net so I can't say for certain, but if I was playing net I would want my defenders to have a stick so they can clear the puck out and down the ice.

Mr Scarface*

Depends on the situation and also personel.

Some (rare) goalies even liked to play without their sticks. They "lost it purposely" so they could make something happen. Were comfortable. So in those situations the d-men just kept their sticks and game and didn't even bother.

But yeah more often they give it to the goaltender first. Then comes the d-guys and in some pk situations they gave it to the guys who play offense on the PK-squad. Then they can cut of passing lanes etc. I do know hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad