Who has had a worse offseason? Vegas or Colorado

Team/GM with the worse moves?

• Total voters

sjsharks92

Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
The Avs resigning Makar at 6 x 9 was one of the best moves of the offseason in my opinion so that's really the tiebreaker for me. Everything else for both teams seems bad. Voted Knights.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
In my opinion, Colorado had a solid off-season. Sure, they didn't improve, got slightly worse really. But at the same time, i think there's guys internally who are capable of replacing some if not most of what they lost. It's also good for evaluation can Compher step up and how can Newhook benefit from consistent playing time.

There were a ton of challenges like the expansion draft and signing big contracts, and the fact that they came out with relatively close to last years team, a healthy amount of cap space and got a thumps up for those big contracts, is good.

At the end of the day, everyone would love to ice the best team in the league for opening night, but it's not necessary to win the cup. All you can ask for is to have a team that's pretty much a shoe-in to make the playoffs and the flexibility to make moves at the TDL to push the team over the hump. And that's exactly what the Avalanche have going into the year.

I think it's likely the Preds don't sit in a playoff spot by the TDL so the Avs will have the space to potentially add a guy like Forsberg. Or maybe they deem there's an issue with the defense and they add Ekholm and a middle 6 winger. You get the idea. This team will look different when the playoffs start.

Vegas on the other hand i guess improved slightly, but at the same time they have like no flexibility. Tuch is basically going to be their addition once he comes back from injury and they need to make a roster move to even fit him in. From there it's harder to make a major move. And really, they don't even need to. They're in that annoying spot that they have everything else they need except a 1C. So in all likelyhood, unless they pull off an early season blockbuster with Buffalo or something, not much changes for the playoffs. I know it's a lot to ask to go out and get a 1C, usually impossible, but it kind of is what it is. I'll beat that drum as long as i have to, the needle won't move much for them until they get that guy. So i guess the fact that they used Fleury's 7M cap space to acquire Dadonov and re-sign Janmark who when this team is healthy will probably be on the 4th line, was somewhat disappointing.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
OP question "Which team is in a better spot?" Answer, Colorado is the better team right now.
Title says "Who has had the worse offseason: Vegas or Colorado?" Likely Vegas but Colorado was closer here, IMHO
And poll question says. "Team/GM with the worse moves?" IMHO, Vegas handling of MAF puts them over the top here.

I answered the OP question but these 3 questions are all different.

Agree with this answer but expect players will shrug and forget about MAFgate soon enough and keep signing there in FA; it only really hurts if Vegas become perceived as a pariah that won't keep their word and players start dodging them in FA, not that it'll come up with their cap hit for a while.

Still, Colorado did the main thing they needed to do (keep the band together), I don't think Vegas did the thing they needed to do (find a 1C), so Vegas still made the worst moves.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Agree with this answer but expect players will shrug and forget about MAFgate soon enough and keep signing there in FA; it only really hurts if Vegas become perceived as a pariah that won't keep their word and players start dodging them in FA, not that it'll come up with their cap hit for a while.

Still, Colorado did the main thing they needed to do (keep the band together), I don't think Vegas did the thing they needed to do (find a 1C), so Vegas still made the worst moves.
At the end of the day most players realize that this is just a business and sometimes tough decisions are made. I'm hoping there were also lessons learned after the twitter reporting incident with MAF.

Reactions: Peat

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I think Grubauer was an unexpected kick to the balls. He had an amazing regular season and I think that will sting A LOT. That being said, relying on Robin Lehner is VERY risky.

I think it's a tie, since both lost a goalie and it isn't a very confident position for both teams going into this season.

Why? He has the 4th highest SV% among active goalies and it's not entirely due because of playing behind a solid defensive structure every season

Active NHL Goalies ‑ All-Time Save Percentage Leaders

Sure, he had personal problems on his road but when he's in a "good place", he's extremely solid.

They'll also have Laurent Brossoit and Logan Thomson behind him. I think their goaltending will be fine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad