Who has had a worse offseason? Vegas or Colorado

Team/GM with the worse moves?

• Total voters

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
A lot of Avs fans are pretty upset about Sakic's inability to sign Grubauer, amongst other gripes.

I am not as sure how the Vegas fans feel about their offseason but I assume losing Fleury isn't a loved move.

Which team is in a better spot?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I didn't like Avs this offseason

And I'm a massive fan of everything Sakic does... its weird for me to talk bad of him, but I thought he struggled

I wanted them to take a huge step, but IMO they didn't

Reactions: Perratrooper

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
Avs adequately replaced Grubauer, even if they were bent over a barrel to do it. The only real gripe is that they didn't add any secondary scoring, perhaps even losing some with the lose of Saad.

Vegas however still doesn't have a first line center.

Reactions: generalshepherd141

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
I didn't like Avs this offseason

And I'm a massive fan of everything Sakic does... its weird for me to talk bad of him, but I thought he struggled

I wanted them to take a huge step, but IMO they didn't
What were you hoping Sakic/Avs would do?

Reactions: hockeydog23

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
A rare miscalculation by Sakic caused him to panic and overpay in terms of good assets just to keep his goaltending about the same level.
I voted Colorado.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Avs. Overpaying Landeskog, overpaying for Kuemper with all that injury history, losing Saad.. Not a good offseason. They'll be okay though!

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Avs. Overpaying Landeskog, overpaying for Kuemper with all that injury history, losing Saad.. Not a good offseason. They'll be okay though!
How is Landeskog overpaid when people kept telling us there’s no way he signs under 8M$? I think he’s fairly paid but I hate the terms though. I agree that we overpaid for Kuemper but we basically had no other choice. Losing Saad while not getting any replacement hurt but let’s hope rookie Newhook is ready for a top 6 role. What hurt with the Kuemper trade is that we could’ve used that 1st and Timmins to get a guy like Rakkell.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I don't like our offseason so far, but it's gotta be Vegas.

Loses their Vezina winning goaltender, guts their locker room by trading 2 beloved players in typical shady Vegas fashion, and then giving away a solid prospect in Glass for Patrick. As if they weren't thin enough at centre.

We'll be okay, but I think they take a step back next season.

Reactions: generalshepherd141

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
How is Landeskog overpaid when people kept telling us there’s no way he signs under 8M$? I think he’s fairly paid but I hate the terms though. I agree that we overpaid for Kuemper but we basically had no other choice. Losing Saad while not getting any replacement hurt but let’s hope rookie Newhook is ready for a top 6 role. What hurt with the Kuemper trade is that we could’ve used that 1st and Timmins to get a guy like Rakkell.

Don't see why Landeskog is worth more than Hyman other than the fact that he's a captain? Look at their numbers from their past season, they provide basically the same value. Yet for some reason the Oilers are stupid to sign Hyman at 5.5 while it's amazing that Avs signed Landeskog at 7. They're both players who are great next to superstars but provide little without them. I don't think they should cost $7 million.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Not directed at you OP, but not all Avs fans are being drama queens about the offseason. Sakic, for the most part, kept the band together and tweaked around the edges.

Yes Sakic had to pay a bigger price than he wanted to because Seattle overpaid Grubauer and Anderson had already moved on, but at the end of the day Kuemper is easily the best goalie of the three. It’s not even close, Kuemper behind the Avs roster is going to be dominant. If he manages to extend Kuemper I honestly don’t mind the trade price.

And when you look at the rest of the roster the only real guy they didn’t replace was Saad and my guess is they’re hoping Newhook jumps into that spot.

At the end of the day he got two heavy contracts signed in Landeskog and Makar and upgraded in net. All working under the confinement’s of the flat cap, expansion draft, and multiple big name UFA/RFA negotiations.

Meanwhile Vegas still isn’t aware they have a center problem, and shat all over their Vezina winning face of the franchise, making themselves worse in net. Not great for a team who struggles to score to begin with.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Avs upgraded Grubauer at almost half his cap hit. That’s not a problem (unless of course Kuemper gets hurt but Grubauer hasn’t been very durable either).

Where the Avs are going to notice their difference is the loss of Saad/Donskoi. If Sakic doesn’t use his cap space to bring in another top 6 forward they are going to notice the loss of those two finishers big time. Right now they have close to 4M in cap space with a 22 man roster though so I’d expect another forward to come in. If not Sakic f***ed up.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Avs are fine. Kuemper > Grubauer! Byram>Graves! Newhook= Saad! Losing Donskoi sucks but I think Helm will be ok and Sakic will get someone else in fa.

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
Not directed at you OP, but not all Avs fans are being drama queens about the offseason. Sakic, for the most part, kept the band together and tweaked around the edges.
Agreed. I am not disappointed at all with the moves Sakic has made. The Grubauer situation definitely went to plan B or C but that the way it goes sometimes.

I am ready to give Kuemper his opportunity and I feel he has the opportunity to be better for the Avs than Lehner will be for Vegas.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Vegas had the worse offseason.

They not only shipped out their best goaltender and franchise cornerstone, they also sent the message to their players that they can all be dealt at any moment without being consulted first, even if they win awards and are universally appreciated by fans and teammates.

I predict that Vegas will not be a very attractive destination in the future for FAs as a consequence.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Idk... the Avs next step was never going to come via free agency. Its guys like Byram and Newhook taking a step.

I don't think either team improved, but it was hard to improve with the Expansion draft.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
I love how the narrative is that Kuemper and Gru are equal or that Kuemper is better after this trade was completed. HF just voted a few days ago and this was the result. I pushed for Kuemper before Gibson was voted in, but it's always hilarious to see the narrative change so quick just because he's at a more popular team now.

1) Andrei Vasilevskiy (89.9%)
2) Connor Hellebuyck (59.7%)
3) Carey Price (47.7%)
4) Marc-Andre Fleury (41.3%)
5) Tuukka Rask (35.1%)
6) John Gibson (38.3%)
7) Semyon Varlamov (29.2%)
8) Philipp Grubauer (34.5%)
9) Robin Lehner (26.7%)
10) Juuse Saros (28.9%)
11) Igor Shesterkin (28.3%)
12) Thatcher Demko (25.0%)
13) Jacob Markstrom (44.4%)
14) Ben Bishop (31.3%)
15) Darcy Kuemper (36.0%)
16) MacKenzie Blackwood (Tiebreaker: 60.6%)
17) Jordan Binnington (19.4%)
18) Ilya Sorokin (17.1%)
19) Linus Ullmark (16.7%)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->