NFL: Who has had a better season thus far?

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Just making this poll out of curiosity and to see the results.

Both these guys have had outstanding seasons so far but it seems one gets way more hype due to team success and exposure due to the popularity of the cowboys brand.

If you look at both these players seasons who would you peg to be the better overall player taking into account the quality of their O-lines as well?

David Johnson - started five games last season, drafted in 3rd round.

1138 yards rushing
800 yards receiving

17 TDS 4 Fums

1938 yards from scrimmage

Ezekiel Elliott - Rookie drafted in 1st round

1551 yards rushing
351 yards reciving

14 TDS 5 Fums

1902 yards from scrimmage

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Johnson for sure. He has an awful line and minimal weapons around him. He basically is his team's entire offense. He's one of the most dynamic players I have seen come through the league in ages.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
Ya'll discount Zeke's talent so much.

Not really. As talented as he may be, Johnson's racked up equal if not better numbers (depending on how you value a RB's contribution to the pass game. I value it very highly) behind a far inferior O-line while being the only real threat on the Cardinals this season.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Not really. As talented as he may be, Johnson's racked up equal if not better numbers (depending on how you value a RB's contribution to the pass game. I value it very highly) behind a far inferior O-line while being the only real threat on the Cardinals this season.

Yeah ok every post is referring to the O-line for Zeke's success when its not true. 913 of his yards have come after contact. He makes that line better because of his ability to break tackles and find small holes. Meanwhile Arizona has the 5th best run blocking line according to FBO and yet no one mentions that.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Yeah ok every post is referring to the O-line for Zeke's success when its not true. 913 of his yards have come after contact. He makes that line better because of his ability to break tackles and find small holes. Meanwhile Arizona has the 5th best run blocking line according to FBO and yet no one mentions that.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

they both have top of the league run blocking lines.

On the flipside Arizona has a low ranking pass protection which hovers around 20th-22nd. Yet DJ was able to amass 800 yards receiving and 586 yards after catch which is good for 2nd in the league.

2 David Johnson, RB ARI 73 109 800 11.0 4 58 12 57.1 0 586 38

Can you tell me what DJs Yards after Contact is? I cant find it but I am interested to know.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Ya'll discount Zeke's talent so much.
He's an amazing talent, but the quote below speaks volumes. DJ is putting up better numbers with an atrocious O-line.
Dallas offensive line - 1st
Arizona offensive line - 24th

Elliott averages more yards per reception than DJ. This wouldn't be close if he saw the same volume or was used in a similar manner.
He doesn't have the same receiving skillset that DJ has.

Oct 18, 2011
Johnson. He's pretty much been Arizona's entire offense. Love Elliot, but I can only imagine what type of numbers Johnson would have in Dallas.
Conversely in the Cowboys offense, he would not get nearly as many pass catching opportunities, so while his rushing numbers would improve, his receiving would go down quite a bit most likely.

Sure Zeke benefits from a great o-line but he Cowboys run a zone blocking scheme, so it's not a system where just any guy can walk in there and be successful.

Also the reason Zeke is getting more attention is because his team is winning, if the Cards were any good DJ would be in the MVP discussion

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad