Who has food deliver via apps?

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
I discovered #UberEats, #GrubHub, & #DoorDash. Those are the three I use in my area. They each have their points in their favors (UberEats is the McDonalds & IHOP app, GrubHub is the BurgerKing & Buffalo Wild Wings app, and DoorDash can get some of the restaurants in the previous 2, plus restaurants that currently don't fall in either of the previous 2.) It's nice, considering where I live and my transportation woes. (Don't ask, PLEASE don't ask. :blush: ) So, do you use these apps, and if so, how do they rate? And if not, does your city not have restaurants that have the service? I'm just a curious person based on my Autism Spectrum Disorder. :blush:

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I use the apps often, I do notice though that some of the restaurants charge more for certain dishes with delivery, but cheaper if you go in person.

It's very convenient though.

I find in Toronto, Uber eats is better in the downtown core, and Skip the Dishes is better in the suburbs, just my experience at least.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Door Dash is the only one that I know is in my area. Last I checked UberEats wasn't and I've never tried GrubHub. I like the convenience of Door Dash usually, but the quality can definitely vary. I've had twice where my food just never showed up. It was over an hour after I had ordered, I contacted help and everything and nobody picked up my order so I had to cancel it. I've had times where it's taken nearly 2 hours to be delivered too, so by that point the convenience is pretty much gone because I've likely eaten something in my house. It's best with a group of a few people so you split the delivery charge and tip. If it's just the wife and me we will pretty much always just go to the restaurant and get it because the delivery fee and tip just add up too much to be worth it.

Has anyone ever driven for one of these apps? I am off all summer and it seems like a pretty easy job and super flexible which would be perfect for a 15 hour/week type job.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Door Dash is the only one that I know is in my area. Last I checked UberEats wasn't and I've never tried GrubHub. I like the convenience of Door Dash usually, but the quality can definitely vary. I've had twice where my food just never showed up. It was over an hour after I had ordered, I contacted help and everything and nobody picked up my order so I had to cancel it. I've had times where it's taken nearly 2 hours to be delivered too, so by that point the convenience is pretty much gone because I've likely eaten something in my house. It's best with a group of a few people so you split the delivery charge and tip. If it's just the wife and me we will pretty much always just go to the restaurant and get it because the delivery fee and tip just add up too much to be worth it.

Has anyone ever driven for one of these apps? I am off all summer and it seems like a pretty easy job and super flexible which would be perfect for a 15 hour/week type job.
I did some ubereats delivery. Was ok until I got robbed at gunpoint doing a delivery (and the area i was in wasn’t even that hood).

So my advice would be to keep some sort of defense mechanism in your car. But overall it’s an ok way to make a few extra bucks.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Just downloaded Skip the Dishes here in TO a couple months ago.

Used it right away and loved it. The SC and tip it cost me less than $10 for Popeye's. Enough for 4 meals. Loved it.

Tried to use it a couple weeks ago again and my CC company flagged my card for suspicious use. We called, got it restored then the app declined my card. It was very frustrating.

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
I'm not an app guy, but I am curious to know how the food is when it arrives. I will often order food by phone (pizza for example), and then walk to the location to pick it up myself... because I find when I do delivery, the food has been sitting too long after being cooked, by the time it reaches me... versus a quick 5-10 minute walk to pick it up myself, the moment it comes out of the oven, and then bring it home.

45-60 minutes for delivery for pizza... or phone ahead, they say "20 minutes", I show up 10 minutes after calling, my pizza is almost done, and I'm back home 10 minutes later with it, nice and fresh.

I find even McDonalds, the 10 minute walk between the restaurant and my place... the fries really suffer. McDonalds' fries are best eaten at the restaurant. I can't imagine what "delivery" fries would be like, if we're talking a 45 minute wait after ordering.

Can you guys please comment on this (and quote me so I get notification)?... I'm curious to hear about your experiences in general.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I use UberEats and Eat24Hrs (I think they got bought by Grubhub) a decent amount. The service is pretty good and the food is in good condition by the time it gets to you.

I'm not an app guy, but I am curious to know how the food is when it arrives. I will often order food by phone (pizza for example), and then walk to the location to pick it up myself... because I find when I do delivery, the food has been sitting too long after being cooked, by the time it reaches me... versus a quick 5-10 minute walk to pick it up myself, the moment it comes out of the oven, and then bring it home.

45-60 minutes for delivery for pizza... or phone ahead, they say "20 minutes", I show up 10 minutes after calling, my pizza is almost done, and I'm back home 10 minutes later with it, nice and fresh.

I find even McDonalds, the 10 minute walk between the restaurant and my place... the fries really suffer. McDonalds' fries are best eaten at the restaurant. I can't imagine what "delivery" fries would be like, if we're talking a 45 minute wait after ordering.

Can you guys please comment on this (and quote me so I get notification)?... I'm curious to hear about your experiences in general.

I have pretty much only had good experiences with the food. Sometimes it's a little cold if the restaurant is far away but nothing that a bit of microwave can't solve.

Reactions: Tweed

firewagonHOCKEY

Mar 7, 2006
Belgium
I have Deliveroo and Uber in Europe.
Uber uses scooters and Deliveroo is just bikers.
Also Ubereats would not let me update my CC after it expired because it was just the exp date that changed.

So Deliveroo it is! I can live without MickeyD.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
Coworker uses Door Dash often, twice I have ordered something with him, BOTH times the order was completely wrong, I'm not talking getting onions when I asked without, I'm talking I order a double cheeseburger and get a fish sandwich wrong. The only reason I will keep trying is the cafeteria at my work is god awful and sometimes the kids do not leave me any left overs to bring for lunch.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I've used Uber Eats a few times and so has my wife. The upside is the convenience. After my wife gave birth, we were able to have a nice dinner delivered to the hospital.

The downside is that you need to keep the order simple. My wife ordered a burger and asked for extra ketchup and mayo. Neither came with the order. Not only that, we got no ketchup whatsoever. While my Steak was good, my baked potato had none of the accompaniments it was supposed to come with (butter, sour cream, cheese).

When my we have used it for things like Chick-Fil-A, Panda Express or Jersey Mikes, the order accuracy and timeliness goes up significantly.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I use UberEats, Door Dash, Grubhub, or Postmates like... three to four times a week. If I work late my job pays for dinner, and if I'm getting delivery I get sick of just Chinese/Pizza, so opening it up to the wide world of food options is necessary for my sanity.

It can be touch and go with getting your order right, but that's normally on the restaurant rather than the app.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad