WJC: Who has been the most surprising player so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rk5n

Dec 26, 2011
For sure those who get surprised by Ehlers, c'mon! Take your homie glasses off and go google a bit before posting. The guy was top10 pick the last year! Same goes to Reinhart and others who were picked high ... there's literally no point to get surprised.

So by that standards, Sebastian Aho of Sweden has been the biggest surprise to every scout and organization, as he's performing on very high level and is still undrafted (if he indeed was possible to be drafted). He's not even 7th round pick 200.
No clue why Aho wasn't picked last year. I wanted him in the 7th, instead the Flyers went with another Sewdish D-man, Jesper Pettersson. Where do people think Aho goes in the draft next year? Good enough to be a 2nd?

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
My top 5 surprises of the tournament (positive):

1. Denis Godla, Goalie, Slovakia

Coming into the tournament, there was nothing remarkable or outstanding about Denis Godla. In last year’s U18 World Juniors, he struggled mightily en route to posting a 4.78 GAA and .838 save percentage. This season, playing for the Slovak U20 team in the Slovak Extraliga, he has a GAA of 3.19 and .915 save percentage.

Something must have clicked for Godla because he has been a God amongst men in this tournament. His numbers look great (.926 save percentage & 2.76 GAA), but he was even better than they indicate. He (along with Martin Reway) single-handedly willed the Slovaks to a bronze medal.

He’s faced more shots (242) than anyone in the tournament, and made countless spectacular saves against Canada in the semifinals, and Sweden in the bronze medal game. Not owned by any NHL team, he certainly made a name for himself this tournament and may be hearing from an NHL GM soon. He was named to the tournament all-star team, Best Goaltender of the tournament, and MVP of the tournament.

http://thehockeywriters.com/the-5-biggest-surprises-of-the-wjc/

geoo9

Mar 15, 2013
rusland
Domi i think
He was real lieader of this Can team. I think Canada won gold only for his leadership and mentality. He will perfect NHL captain

torlev*

Domi i think
He was real lieader of this Can team. I think Canada won gold only for his leadership and mentality. He will perfect NHL captain

Much better than his ********* father.

Smart Alek

Jul 13, 2002
I've gotta say, there's a very simple reason why so many here weren't overly impressed with MacEichel's play: Scouting ability must not be a talent most people naturally possess.

Forgetting the age differences, if you folks can't see the inherent skill these two possess... the speed with which they make decisions, the quickness of their plays, etc., etc... well, then you're just going to have to wait to see them do it in the NHL. They both possess 'elite' skills... like Crosby, Ovy, Malkin elite skills. As usual, the professional scouts know what they're talking about here. I myself was hoping that both MacDavid & Eichel would have lackluster tournaments, performance wise... for fantasy draft purposes. Luckily (for what they could do), they both were pretty unlucky. Each could have had 20 points with some puck luck without looking any different than they did.

Personally, I've always found it pretty obvious which players (and their skill sets) will translate into, and become NHL stars. Duclair? Won't. Reinhart? Could. Petan? Likely would. Domi? Should. MacEichel? Will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad