Who has been the Flames' best forward this season?

Who has been the Flames' best forward this season?

• Sean Monahan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Johnny Gaudreau

• Derek Ryan

• Total voters

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
1) Lindholm
2) Tkachuk
3) Monahan
4) Gaudreau

After all 4 were all near or above a PPG last year though I'd say all have been disappointing in some respects. Lindholm's goal scoring has increased while his assists have gone down. Tkachuk's point totals are similar albeit slightly down. Monahan is back to being a 60 point guy, though I feel his overall game has improved. Gaudreau has had maybe like 3 games this year that he has lived up to his standard, everything else he looks painfully average.

They are still the Big 4 in Calgary though and each one can be the dominant force on any given night IMO.

I think if Gaudreau continued to build on last season all 4 guys would be at or above a PPG level, he's that good, but alas he has looked awful for the majority of the year so all four guys are suffering as a result in the point totals.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
^^ I think that post sums it up perfectly.

I would've said Tkachuk if you asked me 10ish games ago but there's been some nights where he gets taken out of the game pretty easily by opposing team's top pairings whereas Lindholm has looked solid as our top center

Mangiapane shows his age through and through with them. Some nights he looks like the perfect cog on the line, like Ferland when he was feeling it with Gaudreau and Monahan, while being invisible in just as many. So it really hurts when both him and Tkachuk are off their game.

Never seen Gaudreau look this pedestrian. He showed flashes of his regular self vs the Hawks but yeah he's been pretty awful with the puck this year.

Monahan looks much improved but he's not scoring as much and I can't put finger on why

Reactions: Nanuuk

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Lindholm has been great
Monahan has been good
Tkachuk has been mediocre
Gaudreau has been ass

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
^^ I think that post sums it up perfectly.

I would've said Tkachuk if you asked me 10ish games ago but there's been some nights where he gets taken out of the game pretty easily by opposing team's top pairings whereas Lindholm has looked solid as our top center

Mangiapane shows his age through and through with them. Some nights he looks like the perfect cog on the line, like Ferland when he was feeling it with Gaudreau and Monahan, while being invisible in just as many. So it really hurts when both him and Tkachuk are off their game.

Never seen Gaudreau look this pedestrian. He showed flashes of his regular self vs the Hawks but yeah he's been pretty awful with the puck this year.

Monahan looks much improved but he's not scoring as much and I can't put finger on why
I mostly agree with this post... which mostly agrees with the one above it. And I echo that point about Mangiapane. He's having a great season but you can tell he's not 100% there to being the perfect complement to Lindholm and Tkachuk. In time, I'm sure he will... or he won't. I'd like to see Dube given a shot in that spot eventually.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Tobie rieder

Everybody else perform below expectation

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
1. Lindholm
2. Tkachuk
3. Monahan
4. Gaudreau

They've been our best even if all are minus players. Lindholm has 5 game winning goals, Chucky 4, Sean 3, and John 1.

Ryan is 5th in team scoring and is plus 8. The only other plus forwards are Backlund +2, Dube +3, Bennett +2, and Czarnik +1.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Forward can be shortened to 4Ward which means Rasmus Andersson + Geoff Ward!

... I think I need to start my day with more coffee.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Forward can be shortened to 4Ward which means Rasmus Andersson + Geoff Ward!
3USgt2g.gif

Reactions: Fig

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I wouldn't let recency bias cloud everyone's memory of the season. Tkachuk has impacted more games this year than Lindholm. Lindy has been hands down our best forward last 10ish game and Tkachuk looks like he's playing injured, but he's still our leading scorer and has been more of a factor in more games than Lindy

...IMO :dunno:

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Tkachuk and Lindholm are pretty close, but Monahan and Gaudreau are close behind. Despite their poor play Monahan and Gaudreau have 35 and 36 points respectively while Tkachuk has 38 and Lindholm has 34. Otherwise though, the with the type of play that Lindholm and Tkachuk bring, Gaudreau and Monahan would need to be scoring substantially more to be considered better.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Honest question: who impacted tonight’s BOA game more? Lindy’s 2 goals (including GWG) or Tkachuk’s screening two goals and the hits to Kass leading to the GWG penalties?

feel like tonight exemplified best how both are valuable to the team

Last edited:
Reactions: Flames Fanatic

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Monahan has vastly improved this year. His haters will never admit it but I think his game has 200 ft game has seen a big jump IMO. Not just his defensive reads but also his forechecking.

I’ve see too much inconsistency from Tkachuk this year to say he’s been as good as Lindy or Monahan. He was excellent last night though

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Monahan has vastly improved this year. His haters will never admit it but I think his game has 200 ft game has seen a big jump IMO. Not just his defensive reads but also his forechecking.

I’ve see too much inconsistency from Tkachuk this year to say he’s been as good as Lindy or Monahan. He was excellent last night though

I'm not a hater of Mony, but I have been down on him in the past, particularly the last 3rd of last year. But I agree he's been overall better this year over 47 games or whatever it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tkachuk Norris

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Johnny has played better over the last 5-10 games overall, though he still shows signs of getting off the ice quick, dishing off the puck as soon as it's on his stick and not having the same puck control/possession ability as previous years.

But I'd rank them:

1. Lindholm (though I'm still not convinced he's a true elite star, he's an excellent player all-round, perhaps a Selke candidate at some point)

2. Tkachuk - maybe our best core player but not quite as brilliant as last year so far, could easily redeem that with a strong second half. I love his crisp, accurate passes and his positional play - world class.

3. Monahan - just a slight edge over Gaudreau, but better than the last 3rd of last year (which unfortunately was a yearly trend, having significant down stretches). He has seemed stronger though saw him lose some puck battles along the boards against the Oil last night. His skill level at times seems as high as anyone outside of Gaudreau.

4. Gaudreau - one point behind Chucky for team lead . . . has played better in the last 10 or so games, maybe longer. I think he should be pissed at himself for dropping back. Doesn't seem like he wants to pay the price as much this year. This is seen in short-shifting himself (coach commanded or not), dishing off the puck consistently when it hits his stick - more than he used to, and being less strong on the puck. He could redeem himself over the last half of the season with even a slight uptick and consistency. Maybe he and Mony are saving themselves for the stretch run and playoffs this year, if that is possible.

5. Brodie - has had a super solid last 1 1/2 to 2 months of hockey. The best of the last 4 years IMO. In Brodie's case if you're not noticing him he's not flubbing pucks, making bad passes or getting beat. Basically he's not been doing those things and the rest of his game is good when those things aren't happening.

The Rest . . .

I think Ryan has been great, but I also think Mangiapane has been great. Maybe slight edge goes to Ryan, but it's close IMO. Gio had a rough first third of the season but is edging back to form. Backsy has been decent lately, but overall his totals are way down and he didn't start the season well. He's still relatively solid though. Bennett has taken a step back; Janks has jumped backward, blindfolded off a cliff; Lucic is okay, slightly better than expected; Dube has been great given his opportunities; Hamonic has been below what is expected of him; Hanifin is still developing; Andersson has played well, maybe 7th on our list of best players. Rinaldo has been good when playing. Kylington had a decent game against the Oil. Stone has been a 6 or so D.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->