Who has been more impressive this year, Farabee or Aube-Kubel

Scarecrow33

Mar 15, 2020
I've been impressed with both these players and happy to have them on the team. This year has seen some of the best play by our younger players in recent memory, which caused me to focus in on these 2 players. Neither have ground breaking numbers, but both have looked good.

Farabee, 52gp, 8g,15a
Aube-Kubel, 36gp, 7g, 8a

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Same as Flyguy:

NAK, relative to expectations. Farabee hasn't been as good as I expected, oddly enough (I expect a lot from him). NAK I thought was "another guy", but he's really shown up.

Reactions: Scarecrow33

Scarecrow33

Mar 15, 2020
I know age is a factor in looking at their future progression. I believe Farabee will be a top 6 forward while Aube-Kubel will be a 3rd/2nd line guy, but relative to expectations I think Aube-Kubel has been more surprising.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019
Joel as he is what 19 years old and an nhl regular. Nak has what 4 years pro experience? Doesnt take away what NAK has accomplished.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
NAK was more surprising given some early challenges this year. I found myself frustrated with him through his first few games, but he really cemented his place over the course of the season. He's got a surprisingly good release, too.

Farabee was more impressive given his age and how well he could read the game at the NHL level right from the start. He struggled with consistency, but that was really the only knock on him and he was still a teenager for most of the season. Nice to see him drop the gloves for a teammate even though I don't want him fighting.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
NAK was more impressive, he's NHL ready and playing above expectations (though one reason is he lowered those expectations from two years ago). He looks like he's improved his puck skills and played with high energy on a consistent basis. Fast, physical (listed at 5'11 211 lbs in TC and plays like it).

Farabee is far more talented than NAK, but it was clear that he physically isn't ready for the NHL in the sense of playing up to his potential. He's talented enough for a 3rd line role right now, but in 3 years when he fills out I think he'll be an elite first line forward - right now the lack of strength means he struggles to play "his" game which is more like Lindblom than Giroux, that is, he likes to go to the dirty areas, fight for pucks along the boards and hang out near the blue paint. Tough to do when you're 6'0 and south of 180 lbs (listed at 6'0 171 on the TC roster), even when you're strong for your size. When he fills out to 6'1 190 lbs in a few years (see his brothers, Jacob 6'4 201, Jesse 6'3 185) he'll be tough to handle.

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
This one is easy for me.

NAK. It appears to me he is impacting the play every shift. I love his tenacity and the speed he brings on the forecheck and his backcheck. His release is deceptive, and he has very strong hands. Seems to me that while he's not the most talented player, he does see the ice well and developing plays which I attribute to having good intellect. For his role on the team going forward, I think these attributes will help solidify him nicely onto the roster and enable him to slide up a line or two when in a pinch for the next few years.

But if you ask this same question next year, I think it will be Farabee.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
NAK has been "better"... and it does not surprise me one bit he has played so well. He has been one of the best AHL players full-stop at 5v5 for over 2 years before he got a "proper" Flyers shot.

BUT Farabee is really only the ~14th player in Flyers history to play basically a season as a teenager, and has held his own and played at a good 3rd line level.

So I have been more "impressed" by Farabee... as I did not expect him to get more than an NHL cup of coffee this year. Whereas I expected NAK to be a very good bottom six winger.

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019
NAK has been "better"... and it does not surprise me one bit he has played so well. He has been one of the best AHL players full-stop at 5v5 for over 2 years before he got a "proper" Flyers shot.

BUT Farabee is really only the ~14th player in Flyers history to play basically a season as a teenager, and has held his own and played at a good 3rd line level.

So I have been more "impressed" by Farabee... as I did not expect him to get more than an NHL cup of coffee this year. Whereas I expected NAK to be a very good bottom six winger.
just curious what to the stats and spreadsheet show for Wilcox on the phantoms. Is there anything there based on the underlying stats or just absolutely an ahl dman.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
just curious what to the stats and spreadsheet show for Wilcox on the phantoms. Is there anything there based on the underlying stats or just absolutely an ahl dman.

There’s nothing there. I doubt he’ll ever get into an NHL game. Would be a shock if he isn’t a career AHL defenseman.

Reactions: Appleyard

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
How about least impressive? The previous regime who refused to play NAK and avoided rookies.

I think there's a strong case to be made that Hextall was higher on NAK than Fletcher. It seemed an inevitability that NAK would eventually get his shot, be it last year or on the roster this year out of camp. Especially with how thrifty Ronald was, I doubt NAK would've gone through waivers. It was really when Fletcher came in that NAK sunk to the bottom of the depth chart. We had trades for Justin Bailey, Hartman, etc. Then this season: Andreoff, Stewart, Twar, Rubtsov, Kase, Vorobyev. Anything but NAK.

Of course there's another strong chance Hextall's coaching staff would've just torpedoed NAK anyway. Ultimately, I give Vigneault more credit than Fletcher when it comes to NAK. Most of the credit just goes to the player, but AV did give him a real shot and long leash. You can tell he has taken a shine to him. But there's a realistic alternate reality where NAK stayed in the AHL all season and left the team this summer.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The blame also goes to NAK, he had a job lined up in TC and was meh. I mean, in sports you only get so many shots, when you're given one, take advantage of it.

Fortunately, when he got a second chance, he woke up and took advantage of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->